Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trying to make sense out of a Flow Rate change
Trying to make sense out of a Flow Rate change
I was reviewing my OSCAR data from last night and noticed a glaring period of a lower amplitude in Flow Rate. I'm pretty sure I have seen this on a few other occasions, but I'm just trying to make sense out of what may be going on here.  If I had to guess, I'd say, perhaps I was sleeping on my back. I normally sleep on my right side.

I felt great today and well rested.

I also noticed that my respiration rate and Minute Ventilation reduced a bit too.  I couldn't find any Flow Rate waveforms in the SleepHead / OSCAR online reference materials or Wiki that looked like this.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Weirdness...
[Image: attachment.php?aid=16569]

This is the Flow Rate waveform I usually see...
[Image: attachment.php?aid=16570]

This looks unusual for me...
[Image: attachment.php?aid=16571]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Trying to make sense out of a Flow Rate change
Did your spot of Flow Limit activity happen about the same time? See what the FL timing vs the weirdness you circled and see if it's tied in.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
To me the flow rate just looks even, a bit shallower than other points in the night. Looks great to me
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2019, 12:05 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Did your spot of Flow Limit activity happen about the same time? See what the FL timing vs the weirdness you circled and see if it's tied in.

Flow Limit for the night looks pretty average for what I usually see. And during the weirdness, it looked even better. I'm wondering if Halloween has anything to do with it.  Oh-jeez

[Image: attachment.php?aid=16584]

RayBee

~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
OK yep I'll go with Halloween. OR maybe a star planet alignment.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with jaswilliams. I think the flow segment in question is closer to what we all aim for than the rest of the night's flow.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2019, 12:45 PM)sheepless Wrote: I'm with jaswilliams.  I think the flow segment in question is closer to what we all aim for than the rest of the night's flow.

So I guess I'm weird most of the time with a few brief glimpses of normal sprinkled in here and there.  I'm sure my wife would agree.

If I wake up in the middle of the night and find that I am sleeping on my back, I'll try to make a foggy note as to the time and hope I remember the next morning to see if there are any notable differences from my weird-norm.

Okay. Now I'm confusing myself. Huhsign  Perhaps a nap is in order?   Sleep-on-pillow

See...  Weirdness.  Thanks guys.   Coffee
RayBee

~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
I think this is related to a sleep stage, and I don't see a problem, although I hve no idea what sleep stage this represents.. There is far less pressure support being used here to maintain minute vent.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2019, 08:54 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I think this is related to a sleep stage, and I don't see a problem, although I hve no idea what sleep stage this represents.. There is far less pressure support being used here to maintain minute vent.

This is interesting...

Over the past two nights, I have seen a couple more blocks of time that have the same waveform look in Flow Rate in conjunction with few to no Flow Limits, very smooth Minute Vent and much lowered (and smoother) Pressure Support. And the EPAP pressure is lower too.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=16624]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=16625]

I'm going to keep my eyes pealed for more of this in the future.

I'm also finding that the ResMed AirFit F30 mask has increased my sleep session times. They are much less sporadic or fragmented as compared to the F20 mask.  One of my goals was to try to get longer sleep session times.  I switched to the F30 on Oct 1 and really like this mask.  Before PAP, I typically had 1 hour sleep session times.  With the F20, about 1-1/2 to 2 hours, 3 or more being a rare and stellar event.  With the F30, 3 to 4 hours seems to be my new average.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=16626]

I'm liking this.   Thanks 

I actually have the energy to want do stuff all day rather than be a couch-potato.  like

RayBee

~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Would you be in REM at that flow rate segment in question?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 3 183 2 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Is This Flow Limitation Cause for Concern? bertchintus 4 225 3 hours ago
Last Post: bertchintus
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 324 4 hours ago
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Treatment] Relationship between EPR and Flow Limitations earnerd 4 178 6 hours ago
Last Post: earnerd
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 11 188 7 hours ago
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 159 Yesterday, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 13 644 04-14-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.