Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trying to move to nasal/pillow mask. Leaks?
RE: Trying to move to nasal/pillow mask. Leaks?
(06-05-2017, 10:01 PM)chill Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 12:27 AM)tedgreen Wrote: mouth breathing tends to lead to OSA and snoring
You have the causation backwards.  Sleep disordered breathing tends to lead to mouth breathing and snoring.

From what I have read, mouth breathing increases the chance of snoring and obstruction.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got a nasal mask initially because I am a side sleeper and a FFM was never going to be an option for this reason. I am (was?) a mouth breather and read early on about the tongue suck procedure and think I now do it automatically unless I lie on my back. I try and nose breathe during the day to reinforce the habit.

The biggest change for me was ditching the chin strap for the cervical collar.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wear the same full face mask as you and sleep on my side or stomach. I use the Papillow. If sleeping on your back was making your OSA worse you'd see a higher AHI. I don't believe that a full face mask increases mouth breathing for the reasons I stated, but that is just my opinion.

To answer your original question, mouth-leaking for me showed up on my leak rate graph as chunks of time (10 to 20 minutes or so) when the leak rate was elevated by 15 to 20 L/min or so above the baseline. I also experienced fragmented sleep.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exploring Innovative Approaches to Pillow Packaging alexa2851 0 24 3 hours ago
Last Post: alexa2851
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 1 44 6 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 121 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 132 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 252 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 87 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 4 194 03-09-2024, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.