Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tube In-Line Bacterial/Viral Filter
Tube In-Line Bacterial/Viral Filter
    Disclaimer to all reading this: I am a new CPAP user and haven't learned all the ins and outs yet, nor the regular users' verbage!  ?? I have seen a generic bacterial and viral filter that fits at the CPAP machine's outlet port, and it looks like a great idea (photo attached). However, I use Resmed's AirSense 10 machine with ClimateLineAir heated tubing, and because of its special electronic connection to the CPAP machine, nothing can be inserted between the machine housing and the tube. I also use Dreamwear Nasal Pillow mask system which attaches to the tubing at the top of my head, so I can't attach the generic filter there either. 
Any suggestions? Is there a different product out there that could be used with my setup? Any ideas about how the filter could be spliced into my ClimateLineAir tubing?
I'm feeling somewhat better (no a.m. headaches) since starting my CPAP therapy, but am having trouble with sore throats, skin break-outs, etc. and think I may be getting bacterial & viral infections from the concentrated room air that I'm breathing. (FYI, my husband is a woodworker and has his shop at home - so there is regularly wood dust in our home air and I am allergic to some of the wood species.)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tube In-Line Bacterial/Viral Filter
A bacterial/viral filter is unnecessary for just about everybody all the time. They rarely use them in the hospital, even for folks on ventilators, unless they are in the ICU. However, with your allergy issue, it very well might be a benefit.

I have seasonal allergies and found that using the BRAND NAME Resmed filter eliminates the problem. Your DME will often only give you knock off brands. Ask specifically for the RESMED brand. The filter is quite a bit different than the knock offs, which is why the knock offs are so cheap.

As far as the sore throats, that is almost always caused by breathing through your mouth while sleeping. You should download your data in Sleephead and look for leaks. Could be you need a chin strap. Could also be that you just need to increase your humidity a little.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are antibacterial filters available.
If you really want to use them make sure you get plenty and change them often. They will be used in a wet and dark environment. This is conducive to mold, and you don't want that.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Are the filters you're talking about used - in place of - the OME filters for the Resmed AirSense 10 supplied with the machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
How do I download data in SleepHead?    Via wifi, my nightly data is reported on myAir.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2018, 12:59 PM)Anita Wrote: Are the filters you're talking about used - in place of - the OME filters for the Resmed AirSense 10 supplied with the machine?

They are not. Never try to supplement or change the filter configuration in the side panel of your machine. That filter is necessary to protect the blower from dirt accumulations which will decrease the life of your machine and impact it's functionality.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
There is a link at the top of the page for sleepyhead information. You will use the SD card to transfer the data from your CPAP machine to your computer. The links to how to organize and post your data are included in several moderators and advisory members signatures at the bottom of their posts
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Then, please tell me where are the anti-allergen filters you talked about placed? Do you have a link to the product or a page that shows their use?
Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are welcome! And welcome apnea board! The filter will have to be moved from the machine side to mask side of the hose. Google "in line CPAP filters."
The fitting on your mask is for 22mm hoses which your climateline hose connects to. It is standard size and machines use the same size on machine fittings. I've not used in line filters because of the mold issue.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
There are upgraded OEM filters that go by names like hypoallergenic filters. They are a bit thicker and have more surface area than the thinner standard filters. I don't recommend the anti-bacterial in line filters. They become contaminated with moisture and mildew, and can make problems worse than not using them. Search for Resmed airsense hypoallergenic filter
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 837 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 105 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 117 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 221 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  Tube Size - 12mm, 15mm and 22mm MrIvanDrago 8 471 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 951 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Q-tube View 0 194 02-04-2024, 01:35 PM
Last Post: View

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.