Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tube Temperature
Tube Temperature
Hi all,

I'm wondering whether a higher tube temperature provides more moisture to the sinuses or if the opposite is true.  Since starting CPAP therapy I've been under the impression that higher tube temperature = warmer air = more humidity held by the air.

After browsing through the forums I've seen other users mention that a higher tube temperature can cause more drying of the nose and sinuses.

If I'm looking to maximize humidity for my nose what setting should I be using for my heated tube?  I'm using a Philips Dreamstation, usually with a tube temperature of 3 (out of 5).

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tube Temperature
The way I ran my heated hose was first adjust humidity to what was needed and then adjust heated hose setting to prevent rainout.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dave!

Is the heated hose just for preventing rainout or does it offer better comfort for users? I've tried both low and high settings and I can't seem to tell much difference in comfort other than the air being warmer. My nose still feels just as dry.
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe this is personal preference, both humidity and hose settings.

What are you running on the humidity currently? If I'm correct, there should be a manual mode on the humidifier. If so, I'd try it on Max humidity.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are separate settings for the humidifier and heated tube. If you want more humidity, turn up the Humidifier setting.

From the provider manual:

Humidification
This setting allows you to select the Humidification Mode being used. You can choose between Fixed or Adaptive (A) Humidification. If a heated tube is attached to the device, then the device will automatically switch to Heated Tube Humidification Mode. Fixed mode applies a constant heat on the humidifier heater plate. Under certain conditions and settings, this mode can allow condensation to occur in the tube. Adaptive mode adapts the heater plate temperature to the ambient conditions in the room, and is designed to not allow condensation to occur in the tube.

Humidifier
This setting allows you to choose the desired humidity setting for the humidifier: 0, 1, 2,3,4 or 5.

Tube Temperature
This setting allows you to choose the desired temperature for the heated tube: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It should be catered to your needs because sensitivity to humidity and temperature is different from person to person.
Post Reply Post Reply
All good information above. The tube heat does not increase the air temperature much, if at all. The air volume is too great and the surface are too small to effect much change. It's purpose is to prevent condensation on a cool tube surface. A heated tube is only 78 to 90 degrees F which is less than body temperature. There is more temperature change as the air passes over the humidification chamber.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2021, 07:41 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: All good information above.  The tube heat does not increase the air temperature much, if at all. The air volume is too great and the surface are too small to effect much change. It's purpose is to prevent condensation on a cool tube surface. A heated tube is only 78 to 90 degrees F which is less than body temperature.   There is more temperature change as the air passes over the humidification chamber.

Hi,

The heated tube really increase the air temperature. During the winter I can't use cpap if I don't get the temperature at the max, my nose gets super sore after a few minutes, like a burning sensation.

Next winter I'll check the difference of the air temperature with/without heated tube to know the différence Wink
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad CSA, Body temperature and Spicy foods. Boodmaster 4 795 03-26-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 105 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 221 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  Tube Size - 12mm, 15mm and 22mm MrIvanDrago 8 471 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 951 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Q-tube View 0 194 02-04-2024, 01:35 PM
Last Post: View
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 450 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.