Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tube temp to avoid rainout
Tube temp to avoid rainout
Hey folks,

So I know this topic has been talked about to death but I am seeing conflicting information on this. Or I am just not understanding...

I sleep in a cold room, a room that's even colder in the winter. I've started experiencing rainout in my mask. Specifically the mask and mask tubing, not the climate line tube. I've been lowering the humidity but I am just not sure what to do with the tube temp. Some literature I've read states to raise the tube temp so that the air I am exhaling into the mask is closer to the temperature of the air coming into the mask. Other literature I've read says to lower the tube temp so that the temperature difference between the air inside the mask is closer to the ambient room temperature.

Can someone please help me understand this?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tube temp to avoid rainout
My bedroom is pretty cool too.  I like to keep my heated hose at about 84 degrees.  I don't like cold air blowing up my nose, and I have never had rainout, so I think the warmer temperature is a good choice.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Anybody know how to heat up the air in the tubes? I have climateline, but the air feels too cool even at 80 degrees set on the tubes. Does the climateline heat the air inside the tubes?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2023, 06:11 PM)Deborah K. Wrote: My bedroom is pretty cool too.  I like to keep my heated hose at about 84 degrees.  I don't like cold air blowing up my nose, and I have never had rainout, so I think the warmer temperature is a good choice.

Thanks Deborah!  I am going to try to mimic your settings.  Can you tell me what your humidity level is set to?  With 4 I get water in the mask.  With 3 I do not but the air is kind of dry for my preference.  However those settings are with the hose temp in the 70's.  I am hoping that with a warmer tube temp either the humidity level of 3 will help the air not feel so dry or allow me to up the humidity back up to 4 without rainout.
Post Reply Post Reply
>>>Other literature I've read says to lower the tube temp so that the temperature difference between the air inside the mask is closer to the ambient room temperature.<<<

I believe this is incorrect. Your exhaled breath is both warm -- body temperature -- and moist. If your mask parts are room temperature (especially in a cool room) that moisture will condense into water in the mask. As far as I can tell, the only way to heat the mask parts is with the incoming air, hence Deborah's choice of 84 degrees. (I think 86 degrees is the maximum.)
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
You want the temperature of your climateline tube high to prevent rain out. That is the purpose of heated tubing.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's the heating plate on the water container, that creates the vapor, but as a result of heating, correct? Thus, you'd get heated vapor through the tubing. In addition, the tubing insulation has coils that radiates heat, and radiates to the inside and outside the tubing, in which in return heats the air inside the tubing. I guess this heating of the inside and outside is cause of no rainout? Like, there is no differential of temperature due to this heating at the tubing. IF there was no heating at the tubing, there is a differential due to the water container heating causing higher temperature vapor? Is this how it's working?

My question would be, how is the heating coil work the same as a cloth insulation? The insulation prevents cold ambient air to create a differential by not letting cool ambient air to enter? Thus the heating is similar in the sense that there is no differential?

So, the heating of the tube air is done by both the heating plate and the climateline?
Post Reply Post Reply
Corgan, you might want to look into the Snuggle Skins fleece cover 6-8 feet. It is longer than just the CPAP tube and also covers the heated tube from your nasal pillows mask. Makes a big difference for me, and feels a lot better in contact with my face. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007BUOINM
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2023, 09:53 AM)CorruptAlligator Wrote: There's the heating plate on the water container, that creates the vapor, but as a result of heating, correct?

It changes the water's state from liquid to vapor, yes.

Quote:IF there was no heating at the tubing, there is a differential due to the water container heating causing higher temperature vapor?  Is this how it's working?

Lowering the temperature of the water vapor in the tube could cause that water vapor to turn back into a liquid. A heated tube stops this from happening.

Quote:My question would be, how is the heating coil work the same as a cloth insulation?

By keeping the water vapor in the tube from getting too cold.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
I would add that the "number" may vary by ambient conditions as well as temperature.  I need a 6 at my high desert home but switch to a 3 when visiting family on the humid coasts.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 109 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 226 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  Tube Size - 12mm, 15mm and 22mm MrIvanDrago 8 474 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 952 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Q-tube View 0 195 02-04-2024, 01:35 PM
Last Post: View
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 455 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] ResMed rainout help Sorcha 2 383 12-29-2023, 04:00 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.