Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H51
CPAP Pressure: 8-20
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Tubing Makes A Difference
Detection of airflow for auto-on and auto-pressure may be affected by the stiffness of the plastic in the tubing, even at a level which cannot be discerned by a casual examination. In such an application the plastic functions as a high-cut filter; above a certain frequency, fluctuations in pressure will not be transmitted from one end of the tubing to the other. This characteristic is directly affected by the physical properties of the plastic compound and how it is moulded.

Transmission of high frequency pulses, too high to be detectable by the user, is what makes detection of obstructive apnea possible in auto-PAP and perhaps in this machine the auto-on is an adjunct to this same sensing-detection function.

We already know that there is a slight but measurable size difference, and that would affect the operation of this "high-cut filter" too.

In many fields, from replacement needles for high-quality vinyl record playback to knock-off auto parts from China, reverse-engineering often overlooks aspects of the original parts' design, and the OEM isn't going to tell the copycats. Add that to cost-cutting by the imitators, as in replacement smartphone batteries.

Now maybe we can add CPAP tubing to the list.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2016 10:16 AM by GP49.)
01-28-2016 10:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
GPSMapNut Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: DreamStation Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed AirFit P10 and PR DreamWear
Humidifier: DreamStation + heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 9-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncorePro Other Software

Other Comments: Used Respironics REMstar Pro with C-Flex for 11 years and ResMed S9 Elite loaner for 3 months

Sex: Male

RE: Tubing Makes A Difference
GP49, what you wrote, makes perfect sense to me.
My old Remstar Pro got very hesitant with (auto) turning on once I started to use Swift FX which has a short, small diameter hose. I keep my machine behind the headboard so, it's not that easy to reach to the ON or Ramp button but, I quickly found that I can easily get the machine to turn on by... quickly pulling my hose on the edge of the headboard so it would rattle a bit. Obviously, to turn on, the machine was more responsive to the frequency than to the pressure change.

Everything I post on this board is nothing more than an opinion expressed by an apneak. Normally, it's based on facts and experience but sometimes, I may get things wrong or not have all the facts.
I reserve the right to change my mind. Why? Because tomorrow I may know better.
01-28-2016 11:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [CPAP] ResMed AirSense 10 makes loud noise when inhaling. sanger 86 29,990 11-17-2016 09:14 PM
Last Post: comphelp
  Tubing size jmayer180 7 278 11-14-2016 11:46 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  difference between Apex XT Auto and Resmed S9 Autoset Lanco 11 440 10-11-2016 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Resmed Climateline tubing smell wenfroed 3 411 09-19-2016 10:03 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  what is the difference between a Bi-level CPAP and a BiPAP? brose005 23 2,072 08-30-2016 04:31 PM
Last Post: brose005
  [Equipment] Does "for Her" make a difference? baconjurer 32 1,989 08-22-2016 05:17 PM
Last Post: BadGoodDeb
  CFlex + and EPR - what is the difference stephennic 16 1,035 08-01-2016 12:13 PM
Last Post: chill