Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tubing Mod to Reduce Resmed Airmini + Zephair adapter Inhalation Noise
Tubing Mod to Reduce Resmed Airmini + Zephair adapter Inhalation Noise
Hi All,

First post but I used a lot of the info on here to figure out how to use the zephair adapter (and a phillips mask) and not have the Darth Vader breathing noise.  So I thought it was worth sharing my hack.

Backstory:  Been a longtime dreamstation go user.  So when the time came to recall it, I ended up with a new resmed airmini + zephair adapter + philips dreamwear nasal pillow mask (similar to the resmed p30).

After using it for 2 nights I realized my sleep was suffering due to how much noise was being produced.  I listened to all the machine and realized it was fairly quiet..the sound was coming from the tubing.  Specifically during inhalation.  After reading through a lot of threads on this board, I saw the inhalation noise issue was also tied to people using a 15mm adapter like the zephair.  I also saw somebody mention switching back to the native airmini tubing and masks helped.  That pretty much led me to the theory the larger tubing with the airmini was causing the issue.

So my fix was to try to use smaller 12 mm tubing on the airmini.  Luckily, I still had my smaller dreamstation go tubing.  Just holding the end on the airmini I noticed right away the sound dropped.  The trick was to just figure out a way to adapt the tubing to my mask and airmini.  The mask wasn't a problem since the tubing came with a 15 mm adapter.  Attaching the dreamstation go connection to the zephair was just cutting off a normal 15mm tube end and taping it to the dreamstation connection.  This worked really well since the dreamstation connection fit inside the normal 15 mm end piece.  Then it was just taping it together with medical tape.

Positives: The smaller tubing also has the advantage of being more supple than normal tubing..which is perfect for travel.  With some testing on a sound meter, my inhalation went from the high 40's decibels down to the 37 decibel range.  Which made my exhale the highest sound.  This is consistent with my dreamstation 2 fullsize unit.  I would say it's not quite as quiet as the full size unit but it's now a reasonable level.  

Negatives: This is really for people who want to use non native masks without humidification.  If you use a native mask, like the p10, this probably isn't worth it.  I was lucky to have the tubing already and old 15mm tubing that I could cut for pieces.  If you don't you will have to factor in the cost of both types of tubing (or at least risk your current 15mm tubing).

Anyways I hope this is helpful with anybody else who thinks the airmini is too loud using the zephair adapter.  I may make a video and post it later on how I adapted the tubing.  

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tubing Mod to Reduce Resmed Airmini + Zephair adapter Inhalation Noise
Hello:

I just read your post that was listed in my "Possibly Related Threads…" section.

My recent post:  "Conducts Noise from TV Audio"   shows my problem and the attempts to fix it.

My focus now is the tubing.  I have noticed a pulsing vibration when I hold the tubing in my hand.  I did try wrapping it in some foam, but that didn't work.  I am planning to try purchasing covers for tubing.  However most of them seem to be for heat and humidity control.  They all are made of a fleece material.  I read that felt is better for vibrations, but have yet to try this.

Your post focuses on tubing size.  Glad to have found it.  I will definitely try a smaller tubing size.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Optimal Settings on iBreeze BiPAP to reduce FL ewriter 23 300 Yesterday, 08:23 AM
Last Post: ewriter
  Airmini noise question sfr79 39 21,674 04-20-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: scottjenson
  drying out tubing with machine sleepingbetterinFl 4 264 04-20-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 44 1,530 04-17-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 698 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 209 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 224 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.