Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Turned off EPR
Turned off EPR
I thought I had already done this but while looking for something in the clinician menu, I saw it was still on. So, I turned it off.

Ramp has been off for a while.

The first night, I had a lot of problems with it. My ears closed and I had intense sinus pressure. Breathing out wasn't all that difficult although I did notice it was different.

The second night (last night) was better although my ears did close again. Could be coincidence but two nights in a row makes me think not.

The reason I considered turning it off is a while back, I was in a "discussion" and I heavy sighed through my nose. And had absolutely no air to breathe back in. It was maybe just two seconds but it was long enough to make me panic. The S9 is a lot more air tight than my S7 by a long shot. If the power went off, I barely noticed with the S7 but I am awake, gasping for air, the second the power goes off now. And my breathing forcefully out caused the EPR to do something I did not like.

When in the menu. I did not see any numbers. I can't remember what it said (full and manual maybe?) but I've never seen the EPR settings on the user menu.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Turned off EPR
You can enable EPR in the user menu from the clinician menu. There are 3 levels of EPR 1-3 which equates to -1, -2, or -3 cmH20 pressure reduction during exhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went back to look.

My machine was set to Full Time and 3. It is now set to Off (with it on off, I could not access to EPR level, which makes sense.
EPR has Full Time, Off, and Ramp Only.
EPR Level has 1 - 3, Off, and Patient.

I am assuming that since mine was set to 3 and not Patient, that is why I saw no EPR on the user screen. How rude!
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
I am pretty sure if it is off or if the level is set to anything besides patient it will NOT show up in the user menu.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2012, 01:43 PM)Rritch Wrote: I am pretty sure if it is off or if the level is set to anything besides patient it will NOT show up in the user menu.
Correct Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2012, 01:13 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I am assuming that since mine was set to 3 and not Patient, that is why I saw no EPR on the user screen. How rude!

But effective! Too-funny

But seriously, why don't you try setting it at 2 or 1 for awhile, before you drop all the way to zero.

I have a BiPAP, so my pressure drops quite a bit when I exhale. I love it. I've thought about gradually raising the exhale pressure until it matches the inhale pressure (CPAP mode). But, I'm a chicken. My AHI has stabilized at 2 and I don't want to mess with success.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When my doc increased my pressures (as a test) to 10-20, I developed serious mask leaks at upper pressures. In dealing with those, I moved my EPR from 1 to Off, and learned a lot. Among other things, if your machine is not absolutely in tune with your exhale cycle, and is pumping out the maximum, there will be a greater absolute pressure when you begin to exhale (and your machine continues to blow) than is originally set, or so I believe. While this may or may not affect you therapeutically, it certainly can create leaks where there otherwise might be none, particularly if you are "on the edge". In my experience, it reduced leaks when I eliminated EPR.
Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have much problems with leaks. Like most folks, I have a built-in leak alarm laying next to me. LOL

If my ears bother me again tonight, I'll turn it back on but set it at 1 or 2, depending on how bad the ears are.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
I tried mine at off, 3, 2, and 1 for 2-3 days each. I had the best AHI at 2, and it was comfortable, so that's where I left it.

I also had to go in and make mine accessible in the menu. It was set at 3 and the option to change it was hidden when I got it (by either the factory default or through setup by the DME, I don't know which one).
Post Reply Post Reply
Having slept for more than 15 years without EPR, I never turned it on when I got my new S9. Does it really make that big of a difference?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 904 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
  AirSense 11 turned off while in use; why??? rpierce 4 1,581 07-23-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Airsense autoset 11 can I disable blowing again after turned off? plaidwandering 5 1,797 01-09-2023, 08:43 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  [CPAP] device starts blowing about 30 mins after being turned off willid3 3 1,219 08-25-2022, 11:22 AM
Last Post: willid3
  TURNED EPR OFF! Michael Shaw 15 3,488 09-28-2019, 07:16 PM
Last Post: vroomvroom
  Bariatric surgery: OAs turned into CAs and Hs RumbleRumble 4 1,334 11-16-2018, 10:07 AM
Last Post: RumbleRumble
  Can the Resmed autosense 10 be turned off remotley cylon452 9 5,100 12-17-2017, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.