Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Turned off EPR
RE: Turned off EPR
I noticed a difference. Breathing out the first night was difficult but not even close to being impossible. My old S7 didn't have EPR and it was at the same pressure. Just have to get used to it again.

If my pressure were to go higher, I'd probably turn it back on.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2012, 10:42 PM)bobg1946 Wrote: Having slept for more than 15 years without EPR, I never turned it on when I got my new S9. Does it really make that big of a difference?
I turned off, doesn't suit my breathing but as the saying goes "you don,t miss what you never had" Too-funny

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2012, 10:42 PM)bobg1946 Wrote: Having slept for more than 15 years without EPR, I never turned it on when I got my new S9. Does it really make that big of a difference?

It's considered a comfort feature, so it's probably of more help to a beginner. Also, others have reported here that EPR raises their AHI. I know that when I switched to a BiPAP (which can be thought of as EPR on steroids) my AHI when way up. It induced a bunch of central apneas.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My girlfriend used (and still uses) EPR on her S9, but we had to turn off C-FLEX+ on her PRS1 because it was adversely affecting her AHI. It seams that EPR suits her breathing better than C-FLEX+ I think it is a personal thing, some people will react well to EPR and other wont because it does not work well with their breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have my EPR set to 3 and it seems to work out fine. I did "86" the ramp feature because even at a pressure of 14+ it seemed more comfortable to just get to the set pressure.
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there. I use an S9 Autoset, using EPR at the 2 setting, and am going to try 3. I can't imagine life without EPR. During my sleep study, the machine they had did NOT have EPR or anything like it, and that was the WORST night of my entire life.

My average pressure is around 11, and I have a very difficult time pushing air against it. When it's 14 or 15, I feel, at least, like I can't even exhale. Once a month or so, I wake up feeling inflated and unable to exhale sometime during the night. So, I say EPR is just not "comfort" but... for me, impossible to live without.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2012, 02:01 AM)markk Wrote: So, I say EPR is just not "comfort" but... for me, impossible to live without.
You've found your comfort zone
Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
I want to second that, I turned mine off the other day and was shocked as it seemed that the pressure had doubled, I could hardly breath so back on it went. Now I sleep like a baby again Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2012, 12:32 AM)pssnn Wrote: I have my EPR set to 3 and it seems to work out fine. I did "86" the ramp feature because even at a pressure of 14+ it seemed more comfortable to just get to the set pressure.

I'm the same - I found that all ramp did was let me settle into a false sense of security. I'd put the mask on, get it settled, go to sleep and it'd ramp up then start blowing air into my eye and wake me up. Better to start at the higher pressure and make sure its sealed before I go to sleep.

Post Reply Post Reply
I love the EPR feature on my S9 Autoset. I have it set to 3 as I find it reassuring that the machine is "listening" to me breathe and providing some sort of tactile-feedback.

I'm pretty sure that Resmed say that it doesn't affect the effectiveness of the therapy (curious to see though) and that it's a comfort feature - it was a big help in getting used to CPAP, but I've been considering experimenting with turning it down to see if it has any bearing on my residual AHI.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 865 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
  AirSense 11 turned off while in use; why??? rpierce 4 1,460 07-23-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Airsense autoset 11 can I disable blowing again after turned off? plaidwandering 5 1,735 01-09-2023, 08:43 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  [CPAP] device starts blowing about 30 mins after being turned off willid3 3 1,128 08-25-2022, 11:22 AM
Last Post: willid3
  TURNED EPR OFF! Michael Shaw 15 3,428 09-28-2019, 07:16 PM
Last Post: vroomvroom
  Bariatric surgery: OAs turned into CAs and Hs RumbleRumble 4 1,319 11-16-2018, 10:07 AM
Last Post: RumbleRumble
  Can the Resmed autosense 10 be turned off remotley cylon452 9 5,045 12-17-2017, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.