Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Having trouble with new mask
Having trouble with new mask
Hi
I am new to cpap and may not have given it all enough of a try

I rented a s9 with the full mask for a couple of weeks and found I did get used to the mask f&p simplus

I bought my own machine a couple of days ago , an s10 which came with a new mask
Same type - f&p simplus

I am having lots of trouble with this new mask, my average ahi is under 2 but looking at sleepyhead it did spike to 9 for a short time.

I reckon the reason my average ahi looks good is because I am up most of the night adjusting the mask to stop leaks.

I am finding that at a pressure of 15 I have to do the straps up very tight which causes neck pains.

So my questions are
Is ahi effected because I am not sleeping
Is the mask I have the best one for me, i.e. Has anyone else has this issue and moved to another mask
Do you have to do the straps up tight, I know they say you don't but I just does not work for me.

Please note when I bought the new machine they did not fit the mask for me so it is possible I have done it wrong

i am also finding the s10 noisier than the s9

My scores in Myair are 98 and 99, which seems wrong

Rich

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Having trouble with new mask
is the mask the same size as the one which worked?
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
That was my first thought too, the Simplus comes in at least three sizes. Size makes a big difference in fit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Same size, medium.

I just can't seem to get it to go this time.

I had troubles with the other one at first but managed to get an acceptable level of comfort after some help from the place I rented the machine. Unfortunately I didn't get any this time when I bought the new machine.

I had a bit of a play earlier, the S10 has a nice fit the mask feature which lets you do this.

What I did is
Fit the mask loosely
Turned on the fit my mask option
Tighten the straps till no leaks while sitting up
Layed on my back and fixed leaks again
Then repeated while laying on my sides

I noted the straps are not even but neither is my head I reckon so will give this combination ago.

This is the only mask I have tried. I would like to try others but need to keep at this for a couple of weeks I guess and/or go get some help from the place I bought it from.

Sorry to bother people with this and there probably is no easy answer but I will keep trying or try another mask.

Richard
Post Reply Post Reply
I find that if I tighten the upper straps tighter than anything less than a thumb's width between the upper brace and the forehead, I'll get leakage into my eyes. The lower straps appear to control leakage and the upper ones are for maintaining placement. Also, the Simplus seems to work better when it is worn lower than what you would expect.

Also after applying pressure, pull the mask slightly away from your face to allow the seal to inflate, then release it.

Since the headgear will work for both the medium and large mask, I tried the large and fell in love with it.

I hope you get it working.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to tighten the upper straps to get my leaking into the eyes to stop. Darn these non-standard faces!

Also make sure that you wash your face with soap before bed and wash the mask with soap when you get up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rich2905,
I hope you can get your mask to work for you.
Have you thoughtabout trying mask liners, such as RemZZZs or padacheek or an old teeshirt cut into triangles, cutting out the center for your nose to go through it? There is a pattern here on the board that shows you how to make them.
Good luck to you through this rough patch on your CPAP journey and keep trying.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all

Last night was better after spending a bit more time setting it up. The straps are a bit tight but bearable.

I still had leakage according to sleepyhead stats, one big one that hit 24 , but overall it was not as bad/annoying as the other night.
My ahi was 1.4 but it did spike to 6 at one time so I maybe over reacting s bit.

I guess leakage is a fact of life and ok if they don't annoy you or effect your cpap

Finding that balance and in particular the knowledge to find it is very difficult for new people like me

So many thanks to you guys for input

Richard
Post Reply Post Reply
The big leak was probably you mashing your face into the pillow while asleep. I do that sometimes. A CPAP pillow with cutout edges or a buckwheat pillow might help, or might not. Best thing is to give it some more time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tried the pillow but not comfortable but could be right about how t happens

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 207 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,869 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 234 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 458 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Trouble with multiple masks jlpool 5 699 11-28-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Trouble getting Knightsbridge chinstrap slowe 9 880 11-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Trouble staying asleep with CPAP TiredTom111 4 798 07-20-2023, 11:04 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.