Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Turning Off Wireless on Resmed S10
Turning Off Wireless on Resmed S10
Hi,

I'm currently using Resmed Escape II. I have been prescribed an APAP by my doctor. According to my supplier the Resmed S10 is the best brand/model out there.

I have tried S9 recently and I like it. I think I'm willing to give S10 a try. One big thing that makes me think twice is the wireless feature. I don't want my machine to be connected to the Internet. I don't want anybody connecting to my machine.

How does the doctor's clinic be able to collect data from the machine? How are able to control and change the pressure? Do they actually connect to the machine?

Also, is there a way to turn off the wireless feature?

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Turning Off Wireless on Resmed S10
(02-01-2016, 09:49 PM)MagicJ Wrote: One big thing that makes me think twice is the wireless feature. I don't want my machine to be connected to the Internet.

Your machine does not have "wireless" and is not connected to the internet. It has a cell phone modem and makes calls to Resmed using whatever Cell network they subscribe to.

Quote:I don't want anybody connecting to my machine.

Your own "smartphone" is probably a lot more vulnerable.

Quote:How does the doctor's clinic be able to collect data from the machine? How are able to control and change the pressure? Do they actually connect to the machine?

They make a cell call and talk to your machine via modem. Completely separate from the internet.

Quote:Also, is there a way to turn off the wireless feature?

I believe they have a "airplane" mode if you are that worried. Personally I don't give a fig about privacy. That battle was lost decades ago, never to return. I particularly don't care if someone knows all about my breathing, which is all the machine can tell them. What they can suck out of my computer is much more worrying than my breathing patters.

I think "sousveillance" is the answer. They can watch us so long as we can watch them. Look it up.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
It is not internet, it uses the cell phone data network. As far as I know only the manufacturer can connect with it. Doctors and insurance has to go through the manufacturer for everything. If you don't need compliance just put it in airplane mode and you are off the grid.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi MagicJ,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and good luck with the new machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Airplane mode is what I do. The machine nags about it, reminding me that airplane mode is on and asking if I want to turn it off. No big deal I just ignore it.

There is a thread here where a cleaver user shows how to open it up and physically disconnect the modem.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-01-2016, 09:49 PM)MagicJ Wrote: I have tried S9 recently and I like it.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating
S9 AutoSet is an awesome machine
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for advising about the airplane mode. Sorry for the dumb question, how do you switch it to that mode, what menu options should I choose?

Another concern of mine is being exposed to too much radio signal. I already have too much wi-fi and cell calls going on in a day. Having one less radio signal exposure to worry about will be helpful.

@trish6hundred - thank you!

@zonk - the S9 was loaned to me by the doctor's clinic for a month. I asked my provider if they still have the S9, but they said they don't anymore. A couple of other providers I contacted here in Canada don't have it either. I have to buy it here in Canada so I can claim in from my insurance Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2016, 06:07 AM)player Wrote: There is a thread here where a cleaver user shows how to open it up and physically disconnect the modem.

This one, perhaps? Big Grin

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...irsense-10

[off-topic childish remark removed from post]

While it's possible that the CPAP isn't directly connected to the internet, RedMed's myAir website certainly makes your data over the internet, and we've heard reports of DMEs adjusting settings on the machines - they're surely using the internet to do that. In other words, whether or not the CPAP has an IP address, it's at least connecting to other systems that are connected to the internet.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2016, 10:25 AM)MagicJ Wrote: Thank you for advising about the airplane mode. Sorry for the dumb question, how do you switch it to that mode, what menu options should I choose?

There's an "Airplane Mode" in the main menu. It's near the bottom on the list, but it's there in plain sight.

(02-02-2016, 10:25 AM)MagicJ Wrote: Another concern of mine is being exposed to too much radio signal. I already have too much wi-fi and cell calls going on in a day. Having one less radio signal exposure to worry about will be helpful.

Educated guess: the device is sending very minimal data (e.g. basic effectiveness and compliance data, not hi-res data) and sending it only once a day. So it should be much less exposure than you'd see from using a normal cell phone. If your machine is on your nightstand, that puts the radio moderately close to your head, but it's still further than a handheld cell phone. In other words, I don't share your concern here.

(02-02-2016, 10:25 AM)MagicJ Wrote: I asked my provider if they still have the S9, but they said they don't anymore. A couple of other providers I contacted here in Canada don't have it either. I have to buy it here in Canada so I can claim in from my insurance Smile

The S9 "for her" version is on sale at several vendors right now - I've seen one as low as US$379.05 after a 5% off coupon - depending on your cost sharing with insurance, you might want to consider just paying out of pocket.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2016, 10:25 AM)MagicJ Wrote: A couple of other providers I contacted here in Canada don't have it either. I have to buy it here in Canada so I can claim in from my insurance Smile

Welcome to the forum MagicJ!

OK so now that we know you're in Canada, it makes a difference. Up here we have to actually pay for anyone to use the wifi feature and read the data from our A10 machines, so turning wifi off is kind of useless.

Also, you might miss out on a software update by turning it off.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar wireless to my pc? Or iPhone app? Dolla Bill 3 638 08-26-2023, 07:04 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] Wireless transfer not enabled (grey), Resmed 10 autoset Galletto1959 2 538 06-10-2023, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  Help fine turning APAP settings for better night sleep livsmonster 4 773 04-26-2023, 12:47 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Airsense 11: SmartStart is Off, but Airsense keeps turning on by itself kklein 4 3,416 03-09-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: kklein
  Question about wireless modem in Aircurve 10 redlegs 14 3,213 08-25-2022, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
Question [CPAP] Airsense 10 without wireless vs Airsense 11 sleepysurgeon 12 3,388 07-14-2022, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Horseshoez
  AirSense 11 Turning Off Humidifier? CChamp 3 5,542 06-09-2022, 11:30 AM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.