Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Turning on Oxygen Concentrator before CPAP?
Turning on Oxygen Concentrator before CPAP?
I know the documentation  says to turn on my CPAP first and then my Oxygen Concentrator.

Frequently, I turn on the Oxygen Concentrator, lie in bed watching the news for 30 mins, then put on the CPAP and turn on.

What is the risk on doing it this way?

I can feel the air from the Oxygen concentrator coming out of the mask when I put it on.   So it doesn't seem to be building pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Turning on Oxygen Concentrator before CPAP?
The risk is the oxygen backing up the tube to the CPAP machine. They feel this could create a fire hazard. I used to turn off the CPAP and not the oxygen for bathroom breaks when I was using oxygen. I think where you connect the oxygen to your hose or mask makes a big difference . If your connecting close to your mask there's a better chance of the oxygen dissipating out the mask and not backing up into the machine.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Mine connects right at the end of the Climateline tube near the machine. Not even sure it would be possible for me to turn the CPAP on first. Since the oxygen is on the other side of the room. I'd need some kind of remote control.
Post Reply Post Reply
What I sometimes do is turn on the concentrator, turn on cpap, and then for the cpap, i go to "mask warmup". that blows a little air while it warms up. It takes 10 minutes to warmup and if you dont respond then i think you get 10 minutes of cool-down mode (maybe it is 20 minutes, not sure.. but it is a good amount of time).

As for issues... I guess if you turn on the cpap and there was a tiny spark in the circuitry from the motor or something at startup.. if there was a high concentration of oxygen it could cause some "blow up" ..

How many LPM do you run of oxygen through the cpap?
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually it wouldn't blow up. It would just enhance a small spark into a larger fire.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2017, 12:26 PM)heov Wrote: How many LPM do you run of oxygen through the cpap?

Post Reply Post Reply
My concentrator is in another room so I usualy turn it on
then start the cpap but some times I may want to read
in bed for a while before starting cpap. Is there a cheap
valve to just cut the ocygen flow on and off and where to
one ?
Post Reply Post Reply
According to Resmed: https://www.resmed.com/ap/en/healthcare-...-faqs.html

Q. How do I set up oxygen with an AirSense™ 10 or AirCurve™ 10 device?
A. If you require oxygen, you will need to use an oxygen port. ResMed recommends using the Oxygen Connector Port, but an Oxygen Side Port Connector may also be used. Note: An Oxygen Diverter Valve can be set up to reduce oxygen build-up in the device if oxygen continues to flow when the therapy device is on standby, or off. If you're using the Standard or SlimLine™ air tubing, we recommend that you place the oxygen port between the device and the air tubing. If you're using the ClimateLineAir™ heated tubing, then the port will need to be fitted between the tubing and the mask.

I think you should be able to ask your DME for this diverter valve.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 614 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 888 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 343 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  Sleep study review / O2 ring - Oxygen Desaturation SingleH 5 504 01-07-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  Why would supplemental Oxygen be added to CPAP? kc90 18 1,034 01-02-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Is there a standrad for Oxygen Desat Events. dataq1 3 395 12-27-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 526 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.