Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Turning your CPAP off at night. Why is this important?
Question 
Turning your CPAP off at night. Why is this important?
While reading this forum, I keep running into advice where posters ask the OP if they've shut their machine off at night when getting up to potty or whatnot.

I'll be getting my CPAP soon, and I just want to understand.... why?

Why shut the machine off? Is there a way to just "pause" it? If so, what are the advantages of turning it completely off?
-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Turning your CPAP off at night. Why is this important?
If you leave the CPAP running when you leave, it records the time as a large leak. If you're tracking your data, it just distorts the results. It's also noisy and irritating as compared to simply pushing a large button. Why would you leave it running?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2015, 09:17 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: If you leave the CPAP running when you leave, it records the time as a large leak. If you're tracking your data, it just distorts the results. It's also noisy and irritating as compared to simply pushing a large button. Why would you leave it running?

What if the machine has a auto start feature. I was told to just disconnect and reconnect without pushing the button.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was told to just disconnect my facial tubing from main tube and leave machine running as well. I'm using apap so maybe that's why?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2015, 09:24 AM)masbirdies Wrote: What if the machine has a auto start feature. I was told to just disconnect and reconnect without pushing the button.

(06-20-2015, 09:17 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: If you leave the CPAP running when you leave, it records the time as a large leak. If you're tracking your data, it just distorts the results. It's also noisy and irritating as compared to simply pushing a large button. Why would you leave it running?

For the reason you quoted Smile
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2015, 09:24 AM)masbirdies Wrote: What if the machine has a auto start feature. I was told to just disconnect and reconnect without pushing the button.

With that enabled, the machine will shut off after a few seconds when you disconnect.

Having the blower running at full speed, although not harmful in such a short time, adds to the wear of the motor and accumulates device "run hours".
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
The auto-stop and start feature has drawbacks for some people and is not consistent between different machines. The PRS1 machines take about a minute to shut down, and I have heard of machines shutting down when unintended. I do use the auto-start. I guess I don't get where it's easier to disconnect the hose as compared to turning off the machine and removing the mask. I'm not exactly a poster-boy for fashion, but running around with a mask and hose dangling off my face would scare me half to death at night. Gawd knows if anyone else were to see it. I guess there are masks that actually require effort to put on, mine isn't one of them.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Wisp has an extremely easy to use disconnect at the mask/elbow connection and so no hose dangle LOL
Unfortunately I will be forced to use a FFM if I ever find one that fits me. Grannie's Shawnee cheek bones are causing me a problem....
I guess I am a Luddite in old age. No ramp no auto star or stop. Just push de button
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
On the various masks I tried, autostart always worked, but Auto Stop was hit or miss. So I got into the habit of just pressing the off button when I got up. If the mask consistently shuts off when you remove it, then you don't have to hit shutoff.

On my failed used s9, the autostart worked very well. I finally figured out that my cat was stepping on the button, shutting the machine down, and then it would restart as I breathed. I was going to post the chart to get help figuring out these weird stops when I realized that she knocked this Bloclight off every night and to reach it, she had to step on the machine! Oh-jeez The Bloclight is now Velcroed to the nightstand and the new machine will have the buttons angled, so at least that won't happen anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you turn the machine off with the simple button push, it's not really off, just in stand-by. During a potty break you can also wipe the oils off your face, blow your nose, get a sip of water etc. All that is easier with the mask off. Even use a tissue or CPAP wipe and clean the nose drippings off your mask. With a Pilairo, of course, it's going to deflate, and the best way to re-inflate it is to start your machine. Pilairos and auto start don't get along well for this reason. So, just hit the button, let it inflate, and refit. All set for another few hours! Once you practice a bit, it takes only a few seconds and becomes second nature.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,243 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  AHI vs Desaturation -which is more important? vwboop 1 153 03-08-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,138 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 883 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  New CPAP user - Longest night I've been able to keep it on bopbop 4 401 01-31-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bopbop
  Information About Knightbridge Dual Chin Strap - IMPORTANT cmpman1974 0 442 12-13-2023, 12:31 AM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  new CPAP user night 12 .......runny nose Barbara Williams 0 351 11-11-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Barbara Williams

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.