Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tweak nasal mask, or find alternate?
Tweak nasal mask, or find alternate?
I'm new to CPAP and was provided a Philips Wisp nasal mask.

I'm uncertain how to approach one problem not resolved by tightening head straps. The clear flexible part that fits over my nose has a tendency to rock during the night, along a horizontal axis. Often the weight of the air hose will pull down and loosen the upper fit, causing a jet of air over the forehead. Re-positioning is not easy, since the edges of the material are thin and likely to blow outward from air pressure. Anyone had this problem?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tweak nasal mask, or find alternate?
Hi okieman,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your question and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi okieman
I haven't used the Wisp, try different nasal mask or maybe nasal pillows
Post Reply Post Reply
Or maybe the new Dreamwear mask

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried different sized cushions? This WISP can be something of a bear to get to seal if the cushion size is not optimal. And it took me a while to get used to it, but, suddenly, one night it just clicked.

One key with the WISP is that most folks will want to wear it too tight. it is designed to be worn snug, but not too tight.

I ended going up to an XL size cushion after being fit with a L; works much better for me. My co-worker also uses a WISP, and he had the opposite issue - was fitted for XL and found the L worked better for him. Again, took him a while to get used to it, and how to wear it so it doesn't leak.

It's my favorite mask unless I am congested; then I go for the Nuance.

Hope you find something that works well for you!

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Okieman, i was just raving about the Respironics Dreamwear on another thread. One big advantage is the air hose does not connect at the mask, but rather to a swivel joint on the top of your head. That eliminates totally the problem you are having. The headgear is hollow and the air goes through the straps to the nose piece.    
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow; bunch 'o' friendly replies! Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a lot of masks out there. If this is the only mask you have tried, try another. Even masks within the same family are different. Decide what you like about the Wisp then look for one that has those qualities and try that one. Ask your supplier if they have a mask trial policy and take full advantage of it!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2015, 12:19 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Ask your supplier if they have a mask trial policy and take full advantage of it!

Sounds like a plan.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the best sleep apnea forum ever!!

I think a lot of us would recommend nasal pillows of some type as long as you're not a mouth breather. I've tried the Wisp, and Airfit N10 also a nasal mask and find them kinda claustrophobic. Then I tried the Swift FX nasal pillows and I thought they were much better. Lastly I've been loaned the P10 nasal pillows and they're great! Quite minimalistic and comfortable.

It might take you a while to find what's right for you but it will help you in your therapy to be comfortable. Good luck!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 211 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 251 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 980 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,160 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 425 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,174 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 316 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.