Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Two Long Weeks
RE: Two Long Weeks
Don't concern yourself with what the DME will think. They can't make adjustments ANYWAY without doctor approval. YOU however, can and I agree. You want your starting pressure to be closer to your average pressure so it doesn't have to rise so much. I started off at 6 minimum (because I could breathe at that) and now I'm up to 9 as my 95% is at 11.5. Far fewer hypopneas and virtually no RERAs as a result.
Post Reply Post Reply
An alternative on your Dreamstation Auto is to turn on the Opti-Start feature. This will make your starting pressure equal to the 90% pressure of the previous 30 hours of therapy. It will do that without you changing any settings other than to turn on the Opti-Start.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi! I agree that having the starting pressure higher will help against "sensation of suffocation. " I'm not familiar with your mask brand, but with nasal pillows in general: going to a larger size of pillows will also let more air through. That too can help with "suffocation" feelings.

My DME merely looked at me, and guessed that I "am probably a Small". 30 minutes into trying to get to sleep, I was feeling suffocated, and tried the next larger size, Medium. Much more air came through! (I was already a seasoned 8 year cpap user, but not this brand.) Since then I've gone yet another size larger, so as to get more air into me. The nasal pillows don't *have* to fit into the nose (as somebody's sig points out) -- the Large size pillows fits mostly *under* my nose; just a little bit *in*. The air pressure & the head strap keeps it in place.

Don't be afraid to ask for a larger size, especially during your 30 day adjustment period, when I believe they will let you try several things.
Post Reply Post Reply
One day isn't enough to draw conclusions from, but it seems like changing the pressure to 8 was the right call.

AHI of 0.24 for 8 hours of sleep. My sleep was still heavily fragmented, but not so much that I felt the need to get up and turn off the machine.

Thanks everyone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Asked for a copy of my results and it looks like I got a bit wrong in the original post:

Hyponpeas lasted a mean 18s and a max of 39 seconds.
AHI in supline was 59.7
AHI in non-supline was 11.13
AHI overall is 18.7

spO2 at bedtime @ 97%
moderate-severe snoring
spO2 average @ 95%
sp02 minimum @ 83%

Overall quite an improvement, going from that to an AHI of 2. May pick up a pulse ox just to see if that also has improved. No wonder marathon sleep sessions of 10-12 hours never worked . . . might have even been going through this as a teen -- no wonder attendance and sleep were such an issue. Sad

@BadGoodDeb Got a large nasal pillow from the tech despite her instance that I "looked like a medium." I'm guessing it'll be a better fit just from dry-fitting it, but testing it out will have to wait. The one I was given smells distressingly of tobacco -- I had assumed they'd be new. Big Grin Ordered a mask online with fitting kit to try out the online vendors rather than deal with that . . .
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, will you still use that vendor?

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, yes!! They certainly should be new masks! IMHO. (Though I wonder what the supplier is expected to DO with the cost of several masks you try out and reject, if you have a 30 day return period .... )
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:@BadGoodDeb Got a large nasal pillow from the tech despite her instance that I "looked like a medium." I'm guessing it'll be a better fit just from dry-fitting it, but testing it out will have to wait. The one I was given smells distressingly of tobacco -- I had assumed they'd be new. Big Grin Ordered a mask online with fitting kit to try out the online vendors rather than deal with that . . .

You need a different DME, but I would start by calling their office and speaking to a manager. It is unacceptable for them to deliver a used nasal cushion, especially that smells of tobacco. This could be cause to complain to your State Attorney General's Consumer Affairs office.[/quote]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well no way to know for sure -- for all I know it's a manufacturing defect or smell imparted from the plastics, but it was rather disturbing when the other nose piece did not have such an odor. To me, it comes across as stale tobacco and I won't be using it.

But yeah, won't be going back to them once I return the trial machine. Already thrown a few darts at the board and am trying two of the online suppliers and just, hopefully, won't get scammed. Supplier #20 has been quick to ship the replacement mask I ordered, but I'm waiting on confirmation the cpap machine itself from a different retailer in Ontario, as their price was lower, they're closer to my current location, and they're on ADP's list of approved vendors -- ordered Friday evening and Monday was a holiday, though.

I'm happy with the Dreamstation and the interface it provides to adjust my own treatment. If I need interpretation in the future, and my doctor can't provide it, I'll just pay the fee for an appointment elsewhere.

AHI remains at 0.4-0.5 with a 90% pressure of 8.5 . Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, there's the confirmation e-mail from their in-house RPN. We're all good, probably.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 324 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  Trialing a Dreamstation (2?) for 4 weeks NeedSleepPlease 46 1,508 03-12-2024, 05:05 PM
Last Post: NeedSleepPlease
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 676 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982
  Long story short chronic 5 384 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 561 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 216 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.