Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] Excessive Drooling, any solutions????
Sad 
Excessive Drooling, any solutions????
So I have been recently diagnosed with Sleep Apnea, and was given a Cpap machine and two masks to try.  First was a nasal pillow, and although I found it incredibly comfortable I couldn't use it due to many breaks in my nose and lack of airway.  The second mask, which I am currently using, is a full face mask, which again I find relatively comfortable and easy enough to fall asleep with.  My problem is once I am asleep I start to drool excessively, to the point that it breaks the seal and will ooze down my chin, neck, chest, and soak my shirt.  It has been almost two months and I find I am getting less and less sleep each night.  I've talked to the sleep clinic and they haven't really had any solutions to this problem.  Please tell me there is something I can try to minimize the drool, I am quickly loosing hope.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Excessive Drooling, any solutions????
You can try using either a chin strap or a soft cervical collar to help keep your jaw closed.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
With pillow mask you didn't have that problem?
Perhaps, you could try a different full face mask? Maybe Simplus' cushion is applying pressure at some points that trigger saliva excretion.
Also, although less likely, check the hose for condensation (rainout).
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2018, 08:00 AM)Tombstone Wrote: So I have been recently diagnosed with Sleep Apnea, and was given a Cpap machine and two masks to try.  First was a nasal pillow, and although I found it incredibly comfortable I couldn't use it due to many breaks in my nose and lack of airway.  The second mask, which I am currently using, is a full face mask, which again I find relatively comfortable and easy enough to fall asleep with.  My problem is once I am asleep I start to drool excessively, to the point that it breaks the seal and will ooze down my chin, neck, chest, and soak my shirt.  It has been almost two months and I find I am getting less and less sleep each night.  I've talked to the sleep clinic and they haven't really had any solutions to this problem.  Please tell me there is something I can try to minimize the drool, I am quickly loosing hope.

Let's go back to the nasal pillows mask. What does the bolded statement mean?  Is this excess leaks? Did you try different sizes of nasal pillow cushions?  If there is anyway for you to make this work, the nasal pillows would seem to be the most comfortable solution.

Take a look at Remzzzz liners for your full face mask. These can help maintain the seal and absorb some liquid.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't like wearing it but I can't pap without the soft cervical collar to mostly stop mouth leaks and the drooling that occurs with open lips or mouth. not pleasant (for me) but we adapt. try it for a while even if you first find it uncomfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
been drooling ever since i started cpap, from the very beginning.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried two different types of nasal masks, ones with the pillows and one that covers the entire nose.  My nose has been broken several times (hockey, football) that I don't have enough airway to breath strickly through my nose, hence why I had to switch to a full mask to be able to breath out of my mouth as well.  I've never had any issues drooling until I started using the cpap machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mask Liners, either Remzzz or home made. The cotton material will absorb and will even wick some of it away.
If you make home made liners, make them a little bigger at the bottom. It helps to wick away moisture. More material more wicking action.

Dan
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dan, I just ordered some of the remzzz liners, give them a shot.
Post Reply Post Reply
Going on a limb here: I use to take pills & eat to prevent heartburn then go to bed one hour later. Being a mouthbreather still practicing tongue technique I tape with Nexcare 3m waterproof, really sticky stuff.  Sad

A couple of hours later I'd be awakened by air leaks, the tape not holding up, too much saliva & I'd be drooling. I have read that you should not eat 2/3 hours before bedtime, so I started taking the pills only no more snack. Since then the drooling stopped, the tape stays on all night.  

Could there be a correlation between eating before bed & your body overproducing saliva laying down thus having excessive drooling? 
   Dont-know   Just a thought!

Bag-head    snorybob.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excessive Events jerrydaw 1 110 04-06-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Jay51
Angry AirTouch N20 - digs into cheek - any solutions? Lilaq88 2 671 03-26-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Valtor
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,550 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  excessive snore on report jentlesoal 0 208 02-06-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: jentlesoal
  How to reduce drooling? ATeam91 6 513 01-24-2024, 06:06 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
  [Treatment] Excessive Sleepiness Despite "Good" Data. Advice Wanted iamverysleepy 2 699 10-19-2023, 05:59 PM
Last Post: iamverysleepy
  Excessive CA Events JoeS01 30 1,915 10-15-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: JoeS01

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.