Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Two days use-Wake up gasping for air
Question 
Two days use-Wake up gasping for air
So, I've been using my CPAP for 2 nights.  I'm very excited to make this work since I'm tired all the time, falling asleep at red lights is not good.  But my first 2 nights have not been good.  I breath thru my nose and mouth at night, so I have a full mask.  The last 2 nights, I've woken up multiple times gasping for air.  I believe that the waking was caused by an apnea, but then, because I feel like I can't exhale, I panic.  I did 1 hours and 15 minutes the first night and about 2 hours the 2nd night.  If this is what I need to do to get used to it, then I'll push thru and keep hoping for the best, but want advice if maybe I should get a different mask and use one of the other methods to try to stop the mouth breathing.  I breath thru my nose during the day, and both nose and mouth at night.  I've attached the reports I'm able to get from the app I have downloaded, DreamMapper.

Attached Files
.pdf   SummaryReport 06-12-2018.pdf (Size: 50.07 KB / Downloads: 101)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Two days use-Wake up gasping for air
DreamMapper doesn’t really show us a whole lot except that your not using the machine much.  

Also, your minimum pressure at 4 is too low, most would feel air starved, or gasping for air as you stated.  I would change that to start at 6cm.  

If you can breath through your nose only during the day, then you should be able to do the same at night.  If your using a full face mask, and breathing through your mouth, you will end up with very dry mouth.  Many use either a chin strap or a soft cervical collar to help keep the mouth closed.  

Download the #SleepyHead software.  This will tell us much more about your therapy.
Follow the directions in my signature line to post data here.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am far from an expert in this, but in my time on this forum I would agree that a low setting of "4" is almost never useful across users and members who come here for help.  That aside, why did your machine get set to that low setting?  Who prescribed it, and why, based on what objective assessment of your needs?  This is something you should get squared away very soon, especially if you have a compliance requirement to contend with before being reimbursed for the expense of the device. 

It's good to see you here asking.  It's a great first step toward getting yourself armed with good information.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, jteetie, glad to see you've joined us. Welcome

I'm also curious about your machine's settings, and it makes me wonder if you were prescribed the machine and if so, did you have a sleep study or did your doctor prescribe it because of health issues?

As OpalRose suggested, upload a {some} SleepyHead chart{s} and the gurus can help you refine your therapy for better effect/results.

Also, it might help us if you updated your profile to indicate which DreamStation you have.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm set to auto increase from 4 to 20.  the apneas are happening at all those pressures, but the times I've woken up and taken it off due to panic it was at 20, not 4.  I still might need to up it, but even at 20, I'm still having just as many apneas as without it.  Is that a sign I need to increase pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Shaun.  Glad I found you guys.  Can you tell me how to get that app?  I looked for it on my Android phone, but didn't see SleepyHead.
Post Reply Post Reply
Follow the link below.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2018, 02:20 PM)jteetie Wrote: Thanks, Shaun.  Glad I found you guys.  Can you tell me how to get that app?  I looked for it on my Android phone, but didn't see SleepyHead.

Check my signature for a link to sleepyhead. but you will need a PC/Laptop, Mac or Linux to run it, and a SD card in the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2018, 02:14 PM)jteetie Wrote: I'm set to auto increase from 4 to 20.  the apneas are happening at all those pressures, but the times I've woken up and taken it off due to panic it was at 20, not 4.  I still might need to up it, but even at 20, I'm still having just as many apneas as without it.  Is that a sign I need to increase pressure?

20 is maybe the max the machine can go to, though there are a few can go a bit higher.
If it is in fact going to 20, I am wondering why?  Do you have big leaks?

You might need to turn on EPR Expiry Pressure Relief as it would be difficult to breathe out against the high pressure, this will also air starve you if you can't breathe.  However, having said that it may also be CAs Central Apneas, often high pressure will trigger them in some people, this is when your brain forgets to tell your body to breathe.

Welcome to the ApneaBoard.   Smile
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
There's no doubt you probably need to raise the minimum. Once you post a chart it will be easier to advise on a pressure. I'm guessing that you have flow limitations that are pushing your pressure to the limit and will probably need to be restricted. So the minimum will need to come up and the maximum will need to come down based on what the chart reveals. To start I'd raise your minimum up to 6cm so you can breath easier.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 Days of Oscar Charts - Looking for advice Jakeb24 5 123 Yesterday, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Jakeb24
Question Help! 40 days CPAP no symptom relief. What's wrong? cpapmj 2 115 04-14-2024, 02:16 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Worried about insurance requirement to see doctor within 90 days NewlyDiagnosed 9 199 04-10-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Wake up very early circa 4AM with bad headache, any help appreciated. new2paphopeful 1 138 03-30-2024, 05:48 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 587 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Still wake up using CPAP urachan 3 376 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: urachan
  Weird spikes and then I wake up tiredguy1 4 336 02-12-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.