Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Two days use-Wake up gasping for air
RE: Two days use-Wake up gasping for air
Don’t get discouraged by this, but we won’t sugar coat what needs to be done.

Since we don’t know a whole lot about how you were put on this machine and the settings, nor do we know if you had an actual sleep study or are you just winging this on your own?

Whatever the case, you have Complex Sleep Apnea which your current machine can’t treat.
An ASV may be in your future.  Unfortunately, nothing happens overnight in the sleep apnea industry.  You will have to be your own best advocate.  Gather this information that SleepyHead is showing you, and contact a good sleep doctor.  

In the meantime, I still suggest to put your machine in Cpap mode for now at a low pressure, mabye 7 or 8.  It’s not going to treat complex sleep apnea, but not likely to be worse.
No guarantees, but I wouldn’t quit.  

Please get back to us with some answers to our questions.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow! Thanks, I think. Smile so, how I got here. I was tired. Went to an ENT, had a 1 night in home sleep study that told me I had moderate obstructive sleep apnea. During the study, over 7.76 hours, I had an AHI of 19.8. I had 154 events, 130 apnea, 124 of them obstructive and 24 hyponeas, between 20 and 90 seconds. My O2 saturation never dropped below 90%

My ENT prescribed this machine. Using it twice and as u see, my AHI is worse with it. I have an appointment tomorrow so I'll bring all this to him. And I'll try some of the suggestions above that I can do with my current machine. Thanks all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, I'm a 40 year old male, 6'2" and 210 lbs. I don't snore often, according to my wife, but I know when I'm really tired, I can.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would go to a sleep center where they can do a lab sleep study. Your going to need to do it anyway so I'd tell your ENT you need a sleep Doctor and lab.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
What is an ASV?
Post Reply Post Reply
And what about BPAP? Just reading and trying to learn. Thank you to everyone.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is from the Wiki Board : Adaptive servo-ventilation (ASV) modes of therapy have been developed to manage this central sleep apnea and complex sleep apnea. Studies have demonstrated marginally superior performance of the adaptive servo ventilators in treating Cheyne-Stokes respiration. Adaptive-servo ventilation adapt to the patient’s ventilatory needs on a breath-by-breath basis, automatically calculating a target ventilation and adjusts the pressure support to achieve it.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
In my signature is a link titled "Therapy, Mystery and Anxiety" that gives a skim of the different nomenclature and abbreviations. It's intended to demystify a few things and help with anxiety. Hope it does.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
I had similar symptoms to you, as soon as i moved to bi-pap at 14/7 settings viola, nice sleep, AHI of 1.3 and no issues, I woke up gasping for air because i couldn't breathe out in cpap at 13mm. I did find i was "sucking thru a straw" at 13, went up to 14 on inhale and 7 on exhale and haven't looked back, spO2 syts above 96% all night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Matthew. You've given me some much needed optimism.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 1 45 2 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,218 04-17-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  3 Days of Oscar Charts - Looking for advice Jakeb24 5 131 04-15-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Jakeb24
Question Help! 40 days CPAP no symptom relief. What's wrong? cpapmj 2 124 04-14-2024, 02:16 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Worried about insurance requirement to see doctor within 90 days NewlyDiagnosed 9 207 04-10-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Wake up very early circa 4AM with bad headache, any help appreciated. new2paphopeful 1 144 03-30-2024, 05:48 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 593 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.