Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Two months compliant, still exhausted..
RE: Two months compliant, still exhausted..
Gee Gabby, why not open up your A10 to APAP and set it between 8 and 13? Check your stats next week and see if you are bumping up against the maximum. Then you can also go in to the doc with your data in hand to prove what settings are best for you.

You're the one losing sleep, not him/her. Queenslanders have a reputation for independence!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2015, 09:24 PM)Gabby Wrote:
(04-16-2015, 05:04 PM)Terry Wrote:
(04-07-2014, 05:16 PM)Gabby Wrote: My main concern is I am still exhausted in the day time. I wake up yawning and tired and it continues like this all day. If I let myself I could easily crawl back in to bed by 10am but I make

What's your machine set for?

Widely changing pressures will disturb your sleep and leave you feeling crummy even if you don't wake up during the night and even if your AHI is low.

If your machine is set to "lazy doctor" (5-20) and your needed pressure is somewhere in the middle or above, it's going to make your sleep not all that restful, since every time it sends the pressure up to stop an apnea then lets it back down again, it disturbs your sleep. This can prevent the deep sleep you need to feel rested.

If it's actually set to the fixed pressure you listed in your profile (9.4), it's entirely likely that you need more than that at various points during the night, but the machine can't adjust itself because it's not allowed to. In this case, you might want to see about giving it some headroom and raising the maximum a few CM. AHI is an average. Just because it's 2 doesn't mean that everything is great.

Also, AHI doesn't include RERAs, which will disturb your sleep but aren't counted. If you have an option to see RDI (Respiratory Disturbance Index) that should give you a better picture.

Hi Terry thank you for your reply.
I am still in the same position I was in when I wrote the above. Dreadfully tired throughout the dy.
I had another sleep test in January this year and my Doctor has set me at a straight 10, which I have been at since then, but still no difference. I go and see him next month.
I know I am a mouth breather and wear a chinstrap. My median leaks are usually anywhere between 8-13 sometimes higher and sometimes lower.
I just accept that this is how my life has to be.
I thought once I started using this machine two years ago my life would turn around but it hasn't.
I sleep well, eat well maybe could do more exercise and need to lose about five kilos.
Some days I feel like throwing it all in the bin, the only good thing I have resolved from using a machine is my 5-6 nightly toilet stops have cut down to 2. For that I will be forever thankful.
Not sure about my RERA'S.

Louis, I have just taken my first dose of coconut oil!

Good afternoon Gabby,
I'm anxious to know what happened with the oil. I'm still getting great results with it. However, I'm really getting killed on this forum with people implying that it's the placebo effect... might as well have said that I need a psychiatrist. I realize that I may be an isolated case with the sleep apnea, and that not many people get the results from coconut oil that I have. Today I've been trying to contact my doctor to see what he suggests, if testing is in order now to see how and why the oil is working. Anyway... I would like to thank you for listening and being open-minded.
The very best to you. LOUIS
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2015, 12:19 PM)trailrider Wrote: Gee Gabby, why not open up your A10 to APAP and set it between 8 and 13? Check your stats next week and see if you are bumping up against the maximum. Then you can also go in to the doc with your data in hand to prove what settings are best for you.

You're the one losing sleep, not him/her. Queenslanders have a reputation for independence!

Thanks Trailrider but I'm sorry I forgot to write that I spent all of last year on APAP.
Mostly between 9-14 and I found I mostly went as far as 10. Very rarely did I reach the higher numbers.
This is after the sleep Doctor had put me on a flat 6 at the start of the year.
I was independent, and I am a Victorian even though I live in Queensland now, and started APAP for the best part of the year and until I had sleep test in late January 2015, and was then advised to go on straight 10.
This is when I thought I would do what he said until I see him in May.
Then I would have last year's apap results and his suggestion of straight 10 to show him.

Believe me Trailrider I have tried every combination I can think of but thank you for your advice.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2015, 09:14 AM)worn_out_in_lebanon Wrote:
(04-16-2015, 05:51 PM)Gabby Wrote: So I just take one tablespoon straight three times a day?

You should probably start with one initially, and see how your system handles it. Too much too soon can cause loose stools until you're adjusted to it. Also it's said if you have yeast overgrowth, it can cause a rapid die-off and release toxins faster than you can accommodate them.

Worn out, thank you for your advice and yesterday I did only have one, the lunch time one. I didn't feel I could handle another later on.
I will persevere but as you suggested I will take it slow for starters.
If it doesn't work for sleep apnea I am still keen for all the other good things it does for you.
How are you going these days? I hope you are feeling better.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2015, 09:24 PM)Gabby Wrote: Hi Terry thank you for your reply.
I am still in the same position I was in when I wrote the above. Dreadfully tired throughout the dy.
I had another sleep test in January this year and my Doctor has set me at a straight 10, which I have been at since then, but still no difference.

You might want to try the machine on auto 10-15 and see how you feel, and look at your data.

Your doctor is pretty much guessing, since he has no idea what pressure you actually need on any given night.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2015, 01:17 PM)Louis R. Wrote:
(04-16-2015, 09:24 PM)Gabby Wrote:
(04-16-2015, 05:04 PM)Terry Wrote: What's your machine set for?

Widely changing pressures will disturb your sleep and leave you feeling crummy even if you don't wake up during the night and even if your AHI is low.

If your machine is set to "lazy doctor" (5-20) and your needed pressure is somewhere in the middle or above, it's going to make your sleep not all that restful, since every time it sends the pressure up to stop an apnea then lets it back down again, it disturbs your sleep. This can prevent the deep sleep you need to feel rested.

If it's actually set to the fixed pressure you listed in your profile (9.4), it's entirely likely that you need more than that at various points during the night, but the machine can't adjust itself because it's not allowed to. In this case, you might want to see about giving it some headroom and raising the maximum a few CM. AHI is an average. Just because it's 2 doesn't mean that everything is great.

Also, AHI doesn't include RERAs, which will disturb your sleep but aren't counted. If you have an option to see RDI (Respiratory Disturbance Index) that should give you a better picture.

Hi Terry thank you for your reply.
I had another sleep test in January this year and my Doctor has set me at a straight 10, which I have been at since then, but still no difference. I go and see him next month.
I know I am a mouth breather and wear a chinstrap. My median leaks are usually anywhere between 8-13 sometimes higher and sometimes lower.
I just accept that this is how my life has to be.
I thought once I started using this machine two years ago my life would turn around but it hasn't.
I sleep well, eat well maybe could do more exercise and need to lose about five kilos.
Some days I feel like throwing it all in the bin, the only good thing I have resolved from using a machine is my 5-6 nightly toilet stops have cut down to 2. For that I will be forever thankful.
Not sure about my RERA'S.

Louis, I have just taken my first dose of coconut oil!

Good afternoon Gabby,
I'm anxious to know what happened with the oil. I'm still getting great results with it. However, I'm really getting killed on this forum with people implying that it's the placebo effect... might as well have said that I need a psychiatrist. I realize that I may be an isolated case with the sleep apnea, and that not many people get the results from coconut oil that I have. Today I've been trying to contact my doctor to see what he suggests, if testing is in order now to see how and why the oil is working. Anyway... I would like to thank you for listening and being open-minded.
The very best to you. LOUIS

Louis you are the only one who knows how you feel and good on you if you feel better.
I only took one tablespoon yesterday as I found it a bit hard, not that it's distasteful, but will start off slowly. I am willing to try anything when I feel like this.
I have tried every which way with the top machine, tried so many masks and get good results but still after 16-17 months still feel the same if not worse than I did when I started.
By the way I am 100% compliant with my machine.
If the coconut oil doesn't work for sleep apnea it works for other things you have listed so I am happy with that.
Please keep us posted on your progress and thank you for sharing, after all that is what this forum is all about.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2015, 04:07 PM)Gabby Wrote: Worn out, thank you for your advice and yesterday I did only have one, the lunch time one. I didn't feel I could handle another later on.
If it doesn't work for sleep apnea I am still keen for all the other good things it does for you.

Will be interesting to see how it works for you.

As for me, I'm doing much better. My untreated AHI was 39, treated it came down to 10, then 5, and now around 1. I'm still trying to get to where I can sleep through the night without waking up multiple times with leaks, but overall feeling a lot better. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2015, 04:53 PM)worn_out_in_lebanon Wrote:
(04-17-2015, 04:07 PM)Gabby Wrote: Worn out, thank you for your advice and yesterday I did only have one, the lunch time one. I didn't feel I could handle another later on.

Will be interesting to see how it works for you.

As for me, I'm doing much better. My untreated AHI was 39, treated it came down to 10, then 5, and now around 1. I'm still trying to get to where I can sleep through the night without waking up multiple times with leaks, but overall feeling a lot better. Smile

That is wonderful news. As long as you are feeling refreshed every day and feel like you have had a good nights sleep that's fantastic. I am still having problems with leaks which I suspect might be the reason behind my tiredness. But they are always in the mid region.
Anyway you keep up the brilliant work and good luck with you sorting the mighty leak out, the bane of the cpapper.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2015, 04:09 PM)Terry Wrote:
(04-16-2015, 09:24 PM)Gabby Wrote: Hi Terry thank you for your reply.
I had another sleep test in January this year and my Doctor has set me at a straight 10, which I have been at since then, but still no difference.

You might want to try the machine on auto 10-15 and see how you feel, and look at your data.

Your doctor is pretty much guessing, since he has no idea what pressure you actually need on any given night.

Right Terry, you have convinced me, you and Trailrider. I have said that I have done these numbers before and I had no luck but I might give it one more go before I see my Doctor.

I appreciate your help. I will keep you informed. Many thanks.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
@Gabby - great to hear you are still connecting each night and trying to get what sleep is there to obtain. I wonder if you can tell me whether you remember having had a dream when you awake, most nights, some, few, or none at all. With the A10 for Her, the RERA comment (I think I saw earlier in the thread) should now be possible to check on. Are you having the Sleepyhead Software display the RDI instead of AHI? And if so, what are your average RERA /yellow/ scores?

Coconut oil should have a similar effect to other oils rich in Omega-6, but not having any Omega-3 component. You should look at the NIH research and others to determine if Omega-6 sounds like a good match to enable your body to counteract oxidative stress, and combat inflammation. One of the main stress risers for apnea patients is halting breathing. Your use of the CPAP should be reducing that threat.

Keep your eye on how stressed out you feel, and how much if any inflammation you get or eliminate as a result of coconut oil ingestion.

Good luck to you, and hope you can crack the tiredness issue.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI, Brain Fog, Exhausted Help Please alwaystired17 1 86 Yesterday, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 292 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,654 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Going nowhere with ASV after 3 months CaliforniaDreamer 20 489 03-08-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 675 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Has anyone ever received a refund on cpap after 3 months. Mwilson123 0 200 02-10-2024, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Mwilson123

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.