Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Two months compliant, still exhausted..
RE: Two months compliant, still exhausted..
(04-10-2014, 01:26 PM)JohnNJ Wrote: Gabby:

The number of hours that I sleep makes a difference for me. Even though the quality of sleep is better for me with the machine, I feel tired in the morning if I don't get enough time sleeping. You may want to try going to sleep earlier and see if that makes a difference.

Good luck.

Cheers John, some nights I am fighting to stay awake at 8 even 7 pm but I force myself and will not let myself go to sleep until gone 11pm, though I have been known to nap in the chair most nights.
So do you think I should just shut everything down for the night and maybe go to bed at 8pm?
I am just scared I will wake in the middle of the night and not be able to get back to sleep. Then again I won't know unless I try.
How many hours of sleep a night are you having? At the moment I am having a good 81/2 hrs sleep a night with maybe 1 pit stop.
At the moment I am taking caffeine tablets every day to try and keep me awake.
But I am still needing a two hour nap most days because I am so tired.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2014, 03:27 PM)Marnid2014 Wrote: I hope you feel better Gabby. Hugs. I am struggling with the P10 mask and want to make it work, just as you do. I still feel tired as well, even though I am sleeping about 8 hours or more. I still get up a few times for the bio break, and I wish I could stop that, but I have really bad leg cramps and if I don't hydrate, they strike with a vengeance at night. It's a mixed bag, not much choice. With my sleep position off from my usual, due to the pacemaker install and still healing, I am all messed up, so I am sure with your medical issues as well, you are too. hang in there, everyone is so wonderful here. I would be lost without them all.
Hi Marnid, thanks for your hugs and the same back. Hope your recovery is still coming along at a good rate.
First of all I just want to comment on your leg cramps, I used to suffer with quite bad ones, until I started taking about 1000mgs of magnesium a day. It works wonders and I only get the odd cramp now and then. It nights be worth a thought.
My toilet stops are now down to one a night, thank goodness as they used to be between 4-6, so I am more than happy with that change.

With the P10, I too have been having bad leak problems but yesterday I sewed the straps and made them igniter and last night I had the lowest ever leaks, 3.6!
Could not believe it and I had the best nights sleep.
So I hope I have cracked the P10. Because it is a comfortable and quite quiet mask.
I don't really want to go back to the Swift FX as it was not comfortable at all even though I had good results.
You didn't mention your leaks with the P10?
I hope you can your 'mixed bag' sorted ASAP.
Take care of yourself.
PS. Don't forget to give the magnesium a try if you haven't already.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2014, 11:00 PM)herbm Wrote: If the tightening of the straps doesn't help, then do consider trying ALL of the pillow sizes.

The one you "think" feels best may not be the best fit. I seem to remember you are ordering a large pillow (since you bought a "for her P10" and got the xsmall, small, and medium.)

I DOUBT you need the large, but do try each of them.

Presumably that leak is your 95% which isn't completely terrible but it really should be nowhere near that high.

Sleep well tonight and I hope you feel SOME better tomorrow....

Herb, 3.6 for leaks!

How is that for my leaks last night? That is the best night of leaks by far on my P10.
I think my little sewing job of the straps did the trick.
The mask was comfortable, I went back to a section where you described how to fit the pillows and away I went. I had a really sound nights sleep.
My AHI was 1.77
So I am more than happy with my results for last night, I hope I can keep it up now and I will be a happy little cpapper with my P10.
Who says perseverance doesn't pay off?
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
I was averaging 3-5 trips to the mens room a night when I started. In a few days that went away for me and I started to feel a tad better. It has been about 3 months for me now, and I am still not back to the old me from before the apnea but I am noting improvements week by week. I think what they say is true that most of us who didn't know we had this issue lived with it for a very long time, and now it is a steady getting back to normal that will just take some time. Imagine if you had a foot problem and walked funny for 10 years, until you finally got some corrective shoes, it would take time to get back to a normal stride. I think that is what is happening to the majority of us, and time seems to be the cure. Good luck, sleep well, and feel better!
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2014, 11:02 PM)Gabby Wrote: ...
Herb, 3.6 for leaks!

How is that for my leaks last night? That is the best night of leaks by far on my P10.
I think my little sewing job of the straps did the trick.
The mask was comfortable, I went back to a section where you described how to fit the pillows and away I went. I had a really sound nights sleep.
My AHI was 1.77
So I am more than happy with my results for last night, I hope I can keep it up now and I will be a happy little cpapper with my P10.
Who says perseverance doesn't pay off?

FANTASTIC Gabby!!!! Big hugs and cheers.

Nice job on the sewing -- this is the 2nd successful headgear modification reported for the P10 (Pugsy on that other board stole headgear from a Swift or something.)

I have said all along, there were three serious caveats for people to use the P10:

1) Breath through the nose (at least initially)
2) Keep the mouth shut (by whatever means)
3) Make the headgear work

Why Resmed does offer an optional adjustable head strap or a second "version" of the P10 with adjustable head gear is beyond comprehension.

Or even 3 sizes with a sizing chart for various head sizes....

For those that it fits (and who can use it) this is likely the most comfortable mask there is -- or at least ALMOST as good as anything they have tried.

As I have been saying, with most mask it is about how uncomfortable they are -- i.e., can they be tolerated.

With the P10, it is about how comfortable you can be while wearing it.

Glad you are having success.

You might want to make some pictures of your tailoring and engineering modifications and show them to others for guiding the modification of the P10.

Keep it up!!!!
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2014, 11:09 PM)Galactus Wrote: I was averaging 3-5 trips to the mens room a night when I started. In a few days that went away for me and I started to feel a tad better. It has been about 3 months for me now, and I am still not back to the old me from before the apnea but I am noting improvements week by week. I think what they say is true that most of us who didn't know we had this issue lived with it for a very long time, and now it is a steady getting back to normal that will just take some time. Imagine if you had a foot problem and walked funny for 10 years, until you finally got some corrective shoes, it would take time to get back to a normal stride. I think that is what is happening to the majority of us, and time seems to be the cure. Good luck, sleep well, and feel better!

Me too, most nights it was 3 or more -- some nights 7 or maybe 2 trips to the bathroom.

Since CPAP (the first night) it is RARE that I go for 2 trips, actually it probably doesn't happen unless something else wakes me up.

Occasionally I am not getting up at all -- last night was such a night.

Now, even if I do go, it's likely because I woke up for some other reason and figure at my age "Never pass up a bathroom break."
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2014, 11:09 PM)Galactus Wrote: I was averaging 3-5 trips to the mens room a night when I started. In a few days that went away for me and I started to feel a tad better. It has been about 3 months for me now, and I am still not back to the old me from before the apnea but I am noting improvements week by week. I think what they say is true that most of us who didn't know we had this issue lived with it for a very long time, and now it is a steady getting back to normal that will just take some time. Imagine if you had a foot problem and walked funny for 10 years, until you finally got some corrective shoes, it would take time to get back to a normal stride. I think that is what is happening to the majority of us, and time seems to be the cure. Good luck, sleep well, and feel better!

Galactus, I get where you are coming from and as far as trips to the ladies room, that has been a huge bonus for me.
From 4-6 trips a night for the last twenty years or so down to mostly 1 a night and occasionally 2. It is fantastic. I think my cat misses me giving him a pat at various intervals through the night but too bad he just has to go without.
I cannot begin to remember when I have ever slept like this and I have come to realise that something's my body has been doing for many, many years are not going to disappear overnight, so I am prepared to wait it out.
You keep up with the improvements and I hope your limp continues to heal and your stride improves.

Only joking about the limp.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2014, 10:20 PM)Gabby Wrote: Cheers John, some nights I am fighting to stay awake at 8 even 7 pm but I force myself and will not let myself go to sleep until gone 11pm, though I have been known to nap in the chair most nights.
So do you think I should just shut everything down for the night and maybe go to bed at 8pm?
I am just scared I will wake in the middle of the night and not be able to get back to sleep. Then again I won't know unless I try.
How many hours of sleep a night are you having? At the moment I am having a good 81/2 hrs sleep a night with maybe 1 pit stop.

Gabby:

First, one trick with nasal pillows is to pull them away from your nose after turning the machine on so they can inflate properly. They form a better seal when they are puffed up.

Second, I think for now you should sleep as much as you can at night and try to eliminate the midday nap. Naps are great but you want to get a full nights worth of good sleep. Naps plus taking stuff to stay awake sounds like it's making things get out of wack.

The meds may be contributing to the sleepy feeling but you also need to watch things like drinking too much late in the day or eating right before bed. If you get most of your fluids in the early part of the day you may not have to get up in the middle of the night.

Digesting food brings lots of blood to the stomach which may affect your extremities, causing twitching or cramps. Try giving yourself at least an hour of no food or drinks before bedtime.

Get a routine going and try to stick to it. I wish you the best and hope you get to a comfortable place.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2014, 10:20 PM)Gabby Wrote: But I am still needing a two hour nap most days because I am so tired.
Are those naps WITH or WITHOUT the PAP machine?

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2014, 08:12 AM)JohnNJ Wrote:
(04-10-2014, 10:20 PM)Gabby Wrote: Cheers John, some nights I am fighting to stay awake at 8 even 7 pm but I force myself and will not let myself go to sleep until gone 11pm, though I have been known to nap in the chair most nights.

Gabby:

First, one trick with nasal pillows is to pull them away from your nose after turning the machine on so they can inflate properly. They form a better seal when they are puffed up.

Second, I think for now you should sleep as much as you can at night and try to eliminate the midday nap. Naps are great but you want to get a full nights worth of good sleep. Naps plus taking stuff to stay awake sounds like it's making things get out of wack.

The meds may be contributing to the sleepy feeling but you also need to watch things like drinking too much late in the day or eating right before bed. If you get most of your fluids in the early part of the day you may not have to get up in the middle of the night.

Digesting food brings lots of blood to the stomach which may affect your extremities, causing twitching or cramps. Try giving yourself at least an hour of no food or drinks before bedtime.

Get a routine going and try to stick to it. I wish you the best and hope you get to a comfortable place.
Hi John, thank you once again for your thoughtful guidelines.
At the moment I have finally managed the installation of the pillows at long last, I was determined to get it and the last two nights my leaks have been minimal.

As for eating and drinking before bed I would definitely have a cut off at 7pm. I have practiced that for many years, goes back to my diet days.

I really do want to cut out the caffeine tablets as I know they are no good for me and are just something new I have discovered. I won't be buying a second box.
I try some days to go without my nap, but it is very hard.

I really do appreciate your's and everyone's help.
I am going to try and get through this but as each day passes I am realising it is just something I am going to have to learn to live with. I have learnt to live with almost daily migraines for over thirty years and now this is something else I can add to my everyday list of inconveniences.
When you look at the big picture I have really got off quite lightly.

You take it easy and keep up the good work.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI, Brain Fog, Exhausted Help Please alwaystired17 1 81 10 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 292 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,654 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Going nowhere with ASV after 3 months CaliforniaDreamer 20 488 03-08-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 675 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Has anyone ever received a refund on cpap after 3 months. Mwilson123 0 200 02-10-2024, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Mwilson123

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.