Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Two versions of 3M Micropore 1530-2?
Two versions of 3M Micropore 1530-2?
I've been taping with 3M Micropore for quite some time and recently it fails to perform as well as it used to. 

I traced the difference to a "CE" vs. "NON CE" version of Micropore. I used to use the "NON-CE" version while now I have the "CE" version. 

The "CE" version has the CE logo printed inside the roll:

and came in this package:

while the NON CE version does not have the CE logo:

( I do not have the original package for this)

The CE version is more breathable than the NON CE version so CE version is not as good for mouth taping... 
The CE version feels different when opening the roll than the NON CE version. 
The CE version even smells different than the NON CE version. 

They are very similar and have the same catalog number 1530-2 but they are not identical!

Which version do you have? what's your experience?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Two versions of 3M Micropore 1530-2?
I will have to let you know when I get home and have a chance to look. Suffice to say, the main problem with the ones I have purchased so far (have tried 3 different versions from 3 different sellers on Amazon) and they all left a gross sticky messy residue when taken off in the morning that was very difficult to take off my skin. Even with mineral oil. The previous one I had did not do this.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using the CE version. It is good for me because it does not tear off my skin ..... which other tapes did. It sticks well enough.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:CE marking is a certification mark that indicates conformity with health, safety, and environmental protection standards

Those non-CE had some chemical that wasn't bio-healthy.
Post Reply Post Reply
All 3 versions of 3M Micropore tape that I bought recently had the CE stamp inside of the roll. Unfortunately I do not have the previous roll still in my possession. I wish I would have kept it now to compare. As I mentioned above, All 3 versions I recently purchased left a sticky gummy residue around my mouth that was very difficult to remove. Even with mineral oil and it took a LOT of scrubbing.

I have to say the newer version stuck much, much stronger and seems to be a bit harder on my upper lip skin if I am not careful. I have to use more water to remove it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2019, 11:36 AM)Marillion Wrote: All 3 versions of 3M Micropore tape that I bought recently had the CE stamp inside of the roll.  Unfortunately I do not have the previous roll still in my possession.  I wish I would have kept it now to compare.  As I mentioned above, All 3 versions I recently purchased left a sticky gummy residue around my mouth that was very difficult to remove.  Even with mineral oil and it took a LOT of scrubbing.  

I have to say the newer version stuck much, much stronger and seems to be a bit harder on my upper lip skin if I am not careful.  I have to use more water to remove it.

The product I am using is 3M Nexcare sensitive skin. It is 9.99 on Amazon,
Commercial Link Removed. but at Shoppers Drug Mart ($12.99) with the 20% seniors discount on Thursday it comes close to that price.  I haven't had it stick to my skin at all.  The glue seems to turn to a gel when it gets wet.  You can dry it out by pressing it against some fabric and it will stick  again (albeit less sticky).

I vaguely remember the London Drugs price is lower than the Shoppers price, but they don't have a seniors' discount.

We don't buy much on Amazon so shipping cost becomes a factor in price comparison.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I worked for 3M for 15 years in Canada...we didn't make the micropore tape in the factory I worked in. During that time, they spun away from the London Plant to plants in Perth Ontario.
They made a transition during that time from solvent based adhesives to water based adhesives. That was a long time ago. So I predict that the tape that worked was already water based adhesive.

Frankly I wonder if the tape you describe is counterfeit. Anyone can print a label on a core. (That's the hard paper insert the tape is wound on.)
Their fear way back then was industrial espionage and product theft. Anyone who can make paper has the skill and equipment to make tape and sandpaper.

My micropore tape is quite sticky. It doesn't leave residue when I peel it off. My skin smarts after I pull off the tape. I haven't used it much because of that. Tough beard; sissy skin.

If you do a search you many find a link to the material safety data sheet for the product...

(I had a link but think I might have violated rules for posting it here.)
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Cpapian and Dave. That 3M Nexcare for Sensitive skin does look great but at $10 a roll it's pretty dang expensive!

Although I can't be 100% certain beyond any doubts, I think the 3M Micropore tapes I got were genuine. The sellers were reputable and the packaging was all consistent from the 3 different sellers. But...you never know I guess.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the plastic spool and cylinder 3M NexCare 'water resistant' adhesive tape.  I fold over the last 1/8" on one end for easy grip to remove it next morning.  

The trick with these tapes is to spend a few seconds pressing it into place along its entire surface.

Also, placement is important.  Experiment with how much above/below either lip is best for reliability.  In my case, it works best if most of it is on my lips and below the lower.  The upper only seems to need about 1/8" above it.

Press it firmly into place with your finger tips.  Two or three thrusts.

Make sure your mouth area is clean and dry before application.

I recently travelled and forgot the tape.  I purchased another 3M tape that is a tan colour, but it is fibrous, sort of micro pore?  Did it ever stick.  I almost ripped my lips...not a word of a lie.  Avoid that stuff like the plague.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2019, 11:36 AM)Marillion Wrote: All 3 versions of 3M Micropore tape that I bought recently had the CE stamp inside of the roll.  Unfortunately I do not have the previous roll still in my possession.  I wish I would have kept it now to compare.  As I mentioned above, All 3 versions I recently purchased left a sticky gummy residue around my mouth that was very difficult to remove.  Even with mineral oil and it took a LOT of scrubbing.  

Do you still have the packages?
Did they look like in #1 or like this one (don't have it ; found image on internet):

[Image: SqWwYZ7.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  5 versions of ResMed AirCurve 10....what's the differences? jdelcore71 5 1,069 06-09-2022, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Labromaniac
  Dreamstation & SH versions? jtech1 3 1,276 09-18-2018, 08:34 PM
Last Post: Walla Walla
  Resmed A10 Software versions LesPauloholic 3 2,557 07-21-2018, 04:28 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  CMS50D+ Software Versions GWild 0 2,336 06-17-2015, 10:13 PM
Last Post: GWild
Question [Equipment]  Resmed Airsense 10 versions help Simon 11 5,509 01-04-2015, 12:45 AM
Last Post: Simon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.