Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Two versions of 3M Micropore 1530-2?
RE: Two versions of 3M Micropore 1530-2?
I can't see the image you just posted in your last message.  But all 3 of the boxes and the rolls inside of them match your pictures from your very first post in this string.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's odd, the image shows for me (Windows, Chrome). Anyhow here it is again as a board attachment:

I vaguely recall this as being the previous version of the Micropore package, but not sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can see it now! I am also using Chrome, with Windows.  My boxes definitely look like the picture in your very first post.  Not this last one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just talked with a 3M Senior Technical Service Engineer. He said that Micropore is made in two locations: USA and Germany. We thought rolls with CE marks are probably made in Germany and these without in the USA, may be a bit different due to CE regulation or simple manufacturing process difference.

However the package I have with the CE mark does actually say on its back "Made in U.S.A. with globally sourced materials" so it's not clear where the no-CE mark comes from. Surely not from Germany! Maybe the USA location makes both version with and without the CE mark? or  maybe they transitioned to CE mark and the non-CE mark rolls is just old stock? the engineer did not actually know.

What we probably want is the version without the CE mark if it's still available anywhere. Checking this online is not practical but in real life sometimes one can look inside the roll. I have started looking for a replacement tape.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2019, 12:44 PM)Cpapian Wrote:
(06-19-2019, 11:36 AM)Marillion Wrote: All 3 versions of 3M Micropore tape that I bought recently had the CE stamp inside of the roll.  Unfortunately I do not have the previous roll still in my possession.  I wish I would have kept it now to compare.  As I mentioned above, All 3 versions I recently purchased left a sticky gummy residue around my mouth that was very difficult to remove.  Even with mineral oil and it took a LOT of scrubbing.  

I have to say the newer version stuck much, much stronger and seems to be a bit harder on my upper lip skin if I am not careful.  I have to use more water to remove it.

The product I am using is 3M Nexcare sensitive skin. It is 9.99 on Amazon,
Commercial Link Removed. but at Shoppers Drug Mart ($12.99) with the 20% seniors discount on Thursday it comes close to that price.  I haven't had it stick to my skin at all.  The glue seems to turn to a gel when it gets wet.  You can dry it out by pressing it against some fabric and it will stick  again (albeit less sticky).

I vaguely remember the London Drugs price is lower than the Shoppers price, but they don't have a seniors' discount.

We don't buy much on Amazon so shipping cost becomes a factor in price comparison.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----

(06-21-2019, 01:18 PM)yrnkrn Wrote: Just talked with a 3M Senior Technical Service Engineer. He said that Micropore is made in two locations: USA and Germany. We thought rolls with CE marks are probably made in Germany and these without in the USA, may be a bit different due to CE regulation or simple manufacturing process difference.

However the package I have with the CE mark does actually say on its back "Made in U.S.A. with globally sourced materials" so it's not clear where the no-CE mark comes from. Surely not from Germany! Maybe the USA location makes both version with and without the CE mark? or  maybe they transitioned to CE mark and the non-CE mark rolls is just old stock? the engineer did not actually know.

What we probably want is the version without the CE mark if it's still available anywhere. Checking this online is not practical but in real life sometimes one can look inside the roll. I have started looking for a replacement tape.

Thanks for the insight!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2019, 02:16 PM)Marillion Wrote: Thanks Cpapian and Dave. That 3M Nexcare for Sensitive skin does look great but at $10 a roll it's pretty dang expensive!

Although I can't be 100% certain beyond any doubts, I think the 3M Micropore tapes I got were genuine. The sellers were reputable and the packaging was all consistent from the 3 different sellers. But...you never know I guess.

(06-19-2019, 03:14 PM)mesenteria Wrote: I use the plastic spool and cylinder 3M NexCare 'water resistant' adhesive tape.  I fold over the last 1/8" on one end for easy grip to remove it next morning.  

The trick with these tapes is to spend a few seconds pressing it into place along its entire surface.

Also, placement is important.  Experiment with how much above/below either lip is best for reliability.  In my case, it works best if most of it is on my lips and below the lower.  The upper only seems to need about 1/8" above it.

Press it firmly into place with your finger tips.  Two or three thrusts.

Make sure your mouth area is clean and dry before application.

I recently travelled and forgot the tape.  I purchased another 3M tape that is a tan colour, but it is fibrous, sort of micro pore?  Did it ever stick.  I almost ripped my lips...not a word of a lie.  Avoid that stuff like the plague.

3M makes tape in London Ontario and Perth Ontario..and all over the world..way back when they didn't make this product there. When I joined in '71 they had 50,000 products. Now they have a cabillion or more. Smile
The white 3M tape I purchased from Shoppers Drug Mart sticks a little bit too much. My lips smart after I remove it. I should try applying it to the palm of my hand at first to make it a little bit less sticky when I apply it to my lips.
I use a pillow wedge under my jaw instead. I should try taping my lips again.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  5 versions of ResMed AirCurve 10....what's the differences? jdelcore71 5 994 06-09-2022, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Labromaniac
  Dreamstation & SH versions? jtech1 3 1,261 09-18-2018, 08:34 PM
Last Post: Walla Walla
  Resmed A10 Software versions LesPauloholic 3 2,529 07-21-2018, 04:28 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  CMS50D+ Software Versions GWild 0 2,314 06-17-2015, 10:13 PM
Last Post: GWild
Question [Equipment]  Resmed Airsense 10 versions help Simon 11 5,472 01-04-2015, 12:45 AM
Last Post: Simon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.