Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Question About OSA Diagnosis Criteria for 14-Year-Olds
Question About OSA Diagnosis Criteria for 14-Year-Olds
Hi everyone, I need some assistance understanding the diagnosis criteria for Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) in teenagers, specifically for 14-year-olds.

I know that for a 12 year old, the criteria include having a minimum oxygen saturation of less than 92% or an Apnea-Hypopnea Index (AHI) of 1+ to be diagnosed with OSA. But what about a 14-year-old? Would the criteria remain the same?

Here's a little background on why I'm asking:
  • RDI (Respiratory Disturbance Index): 10 (20 when sleeping on my left side)
  • AHI (Apnea-Hypopnea Index): 1.8
  • Oxygen Saturation: 89%
I'm currently 14 years old, and these numbers have left me wondering about my situation. Any insights or advice on how these factors might affect a diagnosis would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

The image attached shows the chart which states the diagnosis criteria for 1-12 year olds and adults.
RE: Question About OSA Diagnosis Criteria for 14-Year-Olds
Forgot to add this: What would the RDI diagnosis criteria be for a 14 year old?
RE: Question About OSA Diagnosis Criteria for 14-Year-Olds
(08-09-2023, 01:32 PM)Dire Wrote: I'm currently 14 years old,

Dire,  we didn't realize you were underage.  For the time being, since you are underage, in the interests of safety and parental rights, we're going to close your threads for now and limit your forum account.

Our Advisory Members are currently having a discussion about whether or not we can legally or ethically allow an underage member of the forum to participate here.  Our discussions may take several days, and I will email you at your registration email address when we've reached a final decision on this.

In the meantime, I would hope that you get your parents or guardian involved with your diagnosis and possible treatment.  Sorry about cutting you off like this, but there are larger issues at stake that we simply must get right.

I wish you all the best.

~thread closed to new replies ~
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,618 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Diagnosis question Timlondonparis 3 184 03-18-2024, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Timlondonparis
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,477 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  New diagnosis, Vauto on the way, some questions SBTApnea 12 727 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Thumbsup [Diagnosis] Didn't know this existed. Hi! And diagnosis please smgemd 6 251 03-07-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 22 3,430 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: godiego

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.