Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Balancing CAs and Aerophagia
Balancing CAs and Aerophagia
Hey All,

I've been using my APAP for about two weeks, and I feel like I am sleeping and feeling much better.  I downloaded OSCAR and I noticed that predominantly the apneas remaining are all clear airway apneas.

I tried for the last two nights to drop my EPR from 3 to 2, but it doesn't seem to help.  In fact, last night my centrals were the worst they've been.

I'd love some advice.  Obviously I'm relatively new, should I just keep watching for now?  Should I change my pressure?  Should I try to get EPR down to 1 or even 0?

Thanks for any and all help!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Two weeks on APAP and trying to understand
Welcome to the forum,
First realize the Central events tend to be inconsistent. In fact so inconsistent we call them consistently inconsistent.

You do have the right Idea.
Try EPR = 1, no other changes.

do note that Min Pressure should be no less than 4 + EPR to give the EPR room to work.
Also with your pressures, you should try a night or two with the Ramp off.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had noticed the last two days that my GERD was really acting up.  Last night, made the connection to the change in EPR setting, as I'd felt the same way weeks back before upping EPR.  So I went back to EPR 3, and changed my ramp.

Sleep was not great but I understand centrals come and go, and can get worse at the start of therapy.

Given my intolerance for a lower EPR (I feel substantially worse with it lower) is there anything else to try?  Should I simply use the machine for a couple more weeks and watch?

Post Reply Post Reply
You have your min = 6, it should be 7, this is adding some extra pressure fluctuation.
Set Max = 8 to remove MOST of the pressure fluctuation. I strongly suspect (you did not present the FL chart) that flow limitations are driving your pressure changes. This will artificially limit the pressure fluctuations to a narrow band.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will try that.

Just out of curiosity and a desire to understand better, I would have thought pressure changes were a good thing?  Why do we want to limit the band of available options so dramatically?  Is this a potentially permanent change, or are we just using it to gain more info?
Post Reply Post Reply
A bit of both.
Minimizing pressure variation will help with comfort, it can in some cases reduce central apnea events.. as I said I strongly suspect that flow limitations are driving your pressure and your EPR of 3 is not enough to manage them. Normally I would increase EPR or PS (pressure support) to better manage the flow limitations. In other words I prefer to actually treat the flow limits and naturally limit the pressure variations. You don't need higher pressures, you need higher PS/EPR.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your suggestions appear to have helped!  Thank you!

I've attached a before and after with flow limit visible.  Planning to just try to stick it out here for a bit and see how it goes.  Open to additional suggestions of course.

Post Reply Post Reply
I just reviewed my two night sleep study and found that night 1 I had 1.7 "Likely Centrals" and night two I had 3.1 "Likely Centrals."

Does this mean I need to be satisfied with centrals in the 2-3 range? Or is it possible to get them lower?
Post Reply Post Reply
Most of my centrals appear to be happening in the last 45 minutes of my sleep. Or at least, I get a much higher density of them there. Should those be disregarded as "sleep/wake junk" or?

What I'm noticing is that for the first 2 weeks my "clear airways" were consistently below 3. But after that, I have sometimes found them jumping into the 4s and 5s. Sounds like a treatment emergent issue? Should I just give it another couple weeks and see what happens with minimal adjustment?
Post Reply Post Reply
A couple months in, and my centrals and obstructives have both been trending down nicely to an average of 2.77 and .24 respectively the last 30 days.  

Until last night, when I had an unusually rough sleep.  My machine also flagged an episode of Cheynes-Stokes Respiration which has me concerned.  I've attached the relevant screenshots with a zoom of the CSR period.

From my perspective it was a typical night, so I'm wondering both:
1.  What's up with the CSR
2.  Do we have any idea what could cause such a bad night?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 614 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,655 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 11 527 02-19-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] UARS with Aerophagia and a High Leak Rate, what next? Adam0410 9 411 02-14-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 216 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Ohmy Aerophagia is making me lose my mind urachan 9 851 01-01-2024, 05:01 AM
Last Post: airwaystent
  EPR, Central Apnea, and Aerophagia rpierce 23 2,311 11-12-2023, 12:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.