Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Type 2 Diabetes and sleep apnea
RE: Type 2 Diabetes and sleep apnea
Hey Vader - sounds like we have some of the same symptoms, but for me no DMII in family, and have not had BS issues throughout my life. Snoring for 10 years, not breathing for at least the last 5 years, but just got diagnosed. I have Vitiligo (thyroid based immune deficiency) showed itself in past 2 years, also just diagnosed [because I was getting spots on my forehead and neck]. The lateness in life for this is rare, and somehow I think OSA was the trigger.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2014, 04:01 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: Hey Vader - sounds like we have some of the same symptoms, but for me no DMII in family, and have not had BS issues throughout my life. Snoring for 10 years, not breathing for at least the last 5 years, but just got diagnosed. I have Vitiligo (thyroid based immune deficiency) showed itself in past 2 years, also just diagnosed [because I was getting spots on my forehead and neck]. The lateness in life for this is rare, and somehow I think OSA was the trigger.

OSA is a trigger for lots of things, lack of quality sleep affects every system, and those that are weakest seem to be the ones to show first. How much you can still heal and repair after the OSA is treated probably depends on the damage done, and the quality and consistency of sleep you are able to achieve with treatment, and as we age our ability for healing decreases -- I am hopeful that I will see significant improvement in some of my other health issues with apnea treatment! However, I also know that damage has been done, and I have been untreated for 56 yrs (if I am correct about always having had it... which my analysis says probably so, and sleepdoc agrees) In addition, the realist side says that the only sure thing in life is death.... we are all going to die of something, sooner or later, with or without apnea Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
As I am educating myself about it, it makes sense to me that apnea would cause DMII. Especially with a profile like mine, where for a long time the only issue seen is an out of whack fasting blood sugar in the morning, but not after meals. Apnea raises cortisol levels and cortisol is a direct cause of insulin resistance. Also, since the deep sleep that puts your body in a "hibernation" state where your hormonal needs are different so that you can go 8 hours without meals is not happening and the liver tries to rescue you from starvation.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am very interested in the relationship between various conditions and OSA. I personally feel like I have collected the full set having hypertension, high cholesterol, anxiety/depression, diabetes type II, and most recently sleep apnea. I am looking forward to seeing how my OSA treatment may or may not affect the other conditions.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 225 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 116 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 9 16,878 04-03-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Need help with RERAs in sleep apnea shedu1337 8 290 04-03-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
  Heart Failure with Sleep Apnea kwhenrykerr 2 198 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 381 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 507 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.