quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

Sex: Male

RE: Type 2 Diabetes and sleep apnea
Hey Vader - sounds like we have some of the same symptoms, but for me no DMII in family, and have not had BS issues throughout my life. Snoring for 10 years, not breathing for at least the last 5 years, but just got diagnosed. I have Vitiligo (thyroid based immune deficiency) showed itself in past 2 years, also just diagnosed [because I was getting spots on my forehead and neck]. The lateness in life for this is rare, and somehow I think OSA was the trigger.

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
12-21-2014 04:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

(12-21-2014 04:01 PM)quiescence at last Wrote:  Hey Vader - sounds like we have some of the same symptoms, but for me no DMII in family, and have not had BS issues throughout my life. Snoring for 10 years, not breathing for at least the last 5 years, but just got diagnosed. I have Vitiligo (thyroid based immune deficiency) showed itself in past 2 years, also just diagnosed [because I was getting spots on my forehead and neck]. The lateness in life for this is rare, and somehow I think OSA was the trigger.

OSA is a trigger for lots of things, lack of quality sleep affects every system, and those that are weakest seem to be the ones to show first. How much you can still heal and repair after the OSA is treated probably depends on the damage done, and the quality and consistency of sleep you are able to achieve with treatment, and as we age our ability for healing decreases -- I am hopeful that I will see significant improvement in some of my other health issues with apnea treatment! However, I also know that damage has been done, and I have been untreated for 56 yrs (if I am correct about always having had it... which my analysis says probably so, and sleepdoc agrees) In addition, the realist side says that the only sure thing in life is death.... we are all going to die of something, sooner or later, with or without apnea Big Grin
12-21-2014 04:42 PM
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

As I am educating myself about it, it makes sense to me that apnea would cause DMII. Especially with a profile like mine, where for a long time the only issue seen is an out of whack fasting blood sugar in the morning, but not after meals. Apnea raises cortisol levels and cortisol is a direct cause of insulin resistance. Also, since the deep sleep that puts your body in a "hibernation" state where your hormonal needs are different so that you can go 8 hours without meals is not happening and the liver tries to rescue you from starvation.
12-21-2014 05:06 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
swaziman Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed F10
Humidifier: inbuilt
CPAP Pressure: 8 -12
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

I am very interested in the relationship between various conditions and OSA. I personally feel like I have collected the full set having hypertension, high cholesterol, anxiety/depression, diabetes type II, and most recently sleep apnea. I am looking forward to seeing how my OSA treatment may or may not affect the other conditions.
01-15-2015 05:23 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Accuracy of Resmed AS10 vs Sleep Study Type IMSleeplessInSeattle 5 450 11-28-2016 12:11 AM
Last Post: sleepytimegal
Angry [News] DANGER OF UNDIAGNOSED SLEEP APNEA srlevine1 7 543 11-21-2016 03:26 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Central Sleep Apnea? wayne99 8 759 11-20-2016 06:39 AM
Last Post: wayne99
Question CA's, Mask type, and leaks/vent Rcgop 10 378 11-15-2016 03:02 PM
Last Post: robysue
  Sleep Apnea Alphabet Soup ladytimes 2 213 11-13-2016 02:16 PM
Last Post: ladytimes
  [News] Vitamin D - possible help for sleep apnea patients? ApneaNews 46 14,028 10-28-2016 05:01 PM
Last Post: scotty
  Sleep Apnea Surgery zeeser 5 589 10-26-2016 02:42 PM
Last Post: Kadenz