Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

UARS
RE: UARS
(10-19-2019, 06:41 AM)slowriter Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 06:45 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: ... Meanwhile, like me, you may have to buy your first bilevel to prove it works.  I would guess nearly half of all members you see on this forum with bilevel, had to procure their first BiPAP machine without their doctor's or insurance support.  I still have my Philips System One 760 as a backup, but insurance bought my Aircurve 10 Vauto. 

@sleeprider - have you explained this (how you demonstrated medical necessity for bilevel via use) somewhere on the forum, or can you briefly summarize here?

I think this thread has most of it http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid151641  My experimentation with BiPAP using the PRS1 DS760 and expanding knowlege on this forum and CPAP-Talk and a lot of reading, is where I acquired enough information to direct my own therapy. I can't over-state the importance of having a doctor that works with you and is interested in your best outcome. My physician is not a sleep expert, but he understands what I show him of the data and listens to how I benefit from bilevel therapy, then writes the prescriptions and deals with questions from insurance and the DME.  Whether that will be enough to continue getting bielvel on Medicare and my excellent Medicare Plus remains to be seen...it's a whole new world. I use settings that cannot be duplicated on a CPAP, and annually discuss my therapy with the doctor to document the benefits and efficacy of my BPAP, so I'm hopeful that will carry the day.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I turned off the machine the first 3 times I was consciously awake, too tired to do it after that, but I did wake up quite a few more times, probably 8 times or so.  Feel pretty decent today, tired but that's normal for me.  I don't really see anything of interest.

I don't have a backup machine, so I'm going to go ahead with the used bi-level that was recommended.  I would be fine to move on to another sleep clinic.  Currently I go to MCMC in The Dalles, OR, and would need to start traveling to Portland.  I just don't know how to find a good sleep doctor that is willing to support me on trying some things or who has some sort of knowledge about UARS.

I am also planning to get a camera to investigate whether I'm moving alot at night.  My mom has RLS and PLMD, my daughter thrashes around constantly while asleep, so it's worth checking on for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Believe it or not, this helps.  Please proceed on your PLM validation. I don't know if that is a factor but with your family history I would work to eliminate it.
The 3 events that you flagged all have what I would call a very minor amount of Flow Limitation.   I would not believe that this level is significant, but the timing is there, thanks to your flagging the awakenings. It is possible that you are extremely sensitive to the flow limitations, this isn't proof, but it is an indication.  When you get your VAuto, Factory Reset it that set it up 
Mode VAuto
Min EPAP = 6
Max IPAP = 15 (doesn't really matter)
PS = 4, this is effectively an increase of 1.
Post Reply Post Reply
woohoo!  Found a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto on offerup that's brand-new for $500.  Got sent home from hospital and they stuck in back in the bag.

I'm going to pick it up this morning.  
Now, how do I set it up???  Thanks everyone for any and all help.
Tarah
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2019, 12:09 PM)tarah Wrote: woohoo!  Found a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto on offerup that's brand-new for $500.  Got sent home from hospital and they stuck in back in the bag.

I'm going to pick it up this morning.  
Now, how do I set it up???  Thanks everyone for any and all help.
Tarah

See bonjour's suggestion, right above.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2019, 06:23 PM)bonjour Wrote: When you get your VAuto, Factory Reset it that set it up 
Mode VAuto
Min EPAP = 6
Max IPAP = 15 (doesn't really matter)
PS = 4, this is effectively an increase of 1.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2019, 08:58 PM)bonjour Wrote: If you are waking, take 5 breaths then turn the machine off, then restart. Then view the detail (3-minute view) and identify "disturbed" sequences in your charts. Video yourself and take a similar action.

Just to be clear, the purpose of "turn the machine off" is to create an easily identifiable point in the charts?

If so, I've been using a different, less extreme technique. It involves the ramp feature of machines, and only applies to people who don't need and/or hate ramp. It works for the DreamStation, I have no idea if it works with Resmed.

Simple technique:
assuming your normal min pressure is 10, set the starting ramp pressure to 9.5 and the ramp duration to 5 minutes. When you wake up during the night, just hit the ramp button.

It's really simple to see the resulting pressure drop in the charts. And, because it's lower than your min pressure, it's unambiguous. I.e. the machine can only get to 9.5 if you hit the ramp button.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2019, 07:43 AM)SnoringInOregon Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 08:58 PM)bonjour Wrote: If you are waking, take 5 breaths then turn the machine off, then restart. Then view the detail (3-minute view) and identify "disturbed" sequences in your charts.  Video yourself and take a similar action.

Just to be clear, the purpose of "turn the machine off" is to create an easily identifiable point in the charts?

If so, I've been using a different, less extreme technique. It involves the ramp feature of machines, and only applies to people who don't need and/or hate ramp. It works for the DreamStation, I have no idea if it works with Resmed.

Simple technique:
assuming your normal min pressure is 10, set the starting ramp pressure to 9.5 and the ramp duration to 5 minutes. When you wake up during the night, just hit the ramp button.

It's really simple to see the resulting pressure drop in the charts. And, because it's lower than your min pressure, it's unambiguous. I.e. the machine can only get to 9.5 if you hit the ramp button.

This is a good alternative if you are using a Philips machine. The Resmed has no ramp button.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, so I used my old machine until I woke up at 3 a.m., wide awake.  Thought that would be a good time to try the new machine, just to get used to how it feels differently.  I'm not sure that I went back to sleep, but the machine fairly quickly ramped up the pressure to over 10.  I guess I don't understand why it's doing that.  My old machine would only ramp up pressure when I was deeply asleep.

The other question I have is why I shouldn't just set the inspiration pressure to a set number so that's it's not ramping pressure up and down all night.  It seems like that could really bother someone who's already sensitive to breathing things at night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you make sure to minimize your calendar? Otherwise, some key data gets cut off.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 95 Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 991 Yesterday, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 177 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 634 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 203 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 81 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 201 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.