Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

UARS
RE: UARS
What in the HECK just happened?  Why am I having AHI over 20 with all clear airway events??!!??!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2019, 05:02 AM)tarah Wrote: What in the HECK just happened?  Why am I having AHI over 20 with all clear airway events??!!??!!
Hi, 
 it appears you set a completely unbalanced EPAPmin 4.0 << PS: 6.0. I expererienced sometimes some few months ago and learned a bit on this. This is the cause of high AHI/CA's...you may want take a look on my thread, and posts...
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...the-Answer

good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2019, 07:28 AM)mper6794 Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 05:02 AM)tarah Wrote: What in the HECK just happened?  Why am I having AHI over 20 with all clear airway events??!!??!!
Hi, 
 it appears you set a completely unbalanced EPAPmin 4.0 << PS: 6.0. I expererienced sometimes some few months ago and learned a bit on this. This is the cause of high AHI/CA's...you may want take a look on my thread, and posts...

good luck

Yes; you swapped the EPAP and PS tarah.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, 

good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2019, 07:52 AM)mper6794 Wrote:
Hi, 

good luck

To be clear, I think she just made a mistake with the setting, and that it wasn't intentional. Was supposed to be PS 4, and EPAP min 6.
Post Reply Post Reply
Check your settings and be sure PS is set to 4. Things should return to normal pretty quickly. We know now 6.0 is too much PS for you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
...Just one thing: this unbalanced day could become an invaluablel one to, ultimateley, semi-quantively, fine tune your EPAPmun and PS, on account of resulting Very low overall respiratory rate.
Good
Post Reply Post Reply
To expand just a bit on what mper6794 is saying; your tidal volume with PS 6.0 averaged 480 mL per breath, however your respiration rate dropped to 11.8 breaths per minute resulting in a minute vent of 5.63 L/min.

By comparison, your previous night with PS 4 showed an average tidal volume of only 400 mL, with respiration rate of 12.4 BPM and a minute vent of 4.88 L/min.

The increased ventilation rate on each breath resulted in a drop of CO2 in your blood stream, which reduced your respiratory drive, or need to breathe. Overall, you actually had a higher respiratory volume and ventilation rate with the high PS, and this resulted in breathing pauses because you didn't "need" as many breaths. This is a natural and normal respiratory response. This is really easily corrected, but you might not have felt that bad in spite of the high AHI. I'm curious how you felt about that night before looking at the numbers.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You just made your breathing too efficient. You are washing out too much CO2 from your blood driving down your pCO2 and your chemo receptors are saying you have no need to breathe.
Back off your pressure support
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a hard time going back to sleep after the 2:30 wakeup.  But oddly enough, I feel pretty good.  Like I actually slept soundly, something I haven't felt in recent history!  I laid down on my back (not able to sleep on my back for years) at 10:30 and didn't move a muscle and woke up in the exact same position at 2:30!!  That has never happened in the past 10 or 15 years.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 952 9 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 160 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 64 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 622 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 196 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 80 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.