Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

UARS
RE: UARS
Oops, sorry.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2019, 11:08 AM)tarah Wrote: Ok, so I used my old machine until I woke up at 3 a.m., wide awake.  Thought that would be a good time to try the new machine, just to get used to how it feels differently.  I'm not sure that I went back to sleep, but the machine fairly quickly ramped up the pressure to over 10.  I guess I don't understand why it's doing that.  My old machine would only ramp up pressure when I was deeply asleep.

The other question I have is why I shouldn't just set the inspiration pressure to a set number so that's it's not ramping pressure up and down all night.  It seems like that could really bother someone who's already sensitive to breathing things at night.

I think idea is initially to see what the machine does with wider-open settings, and then potentially tighten as needed.

I have my max IPAP set just a tad above where it starts for just that reason.
Post Reply Post Reply
I mean, keep the left sidebar, but click the disclosure triangle on the calendar to hide it, so we can see all the statistics ;-)
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes?

I am so tech-unsaavy
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2019, 11:38 AM)tarah Wrote: Yes?

I am so tech-unsaavy

Yes!

And for future reference, remove the right sidebar, since it doesn't offer anything useful there.

My suggestion is you try to sleep with this tonight, and see what happens.

Do you find it necessary to have ramp on? Unlike the autoset, the VAuto doesn't have that auto-ramp function. So it stays low for a set amount of time (that you can adjust), which is probably why you noticed the increase.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great thanks for your help!

I haven't used a ramp feature for a long time because one of my main problems is gasping for air within a few minutes of falling asleep.  Like so quickly that I didn't even know I was asleep.  So it's puzzling to me why the new machine is quickly increasing pressure.  It's responding completely differently from the old machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2019, 11:08 AM)tarah Wrote: Ok, so I used my old machine until I woke up at 3 a.m., wide awake.  Thought that would be a good time to try the new machine, just to get used to how it feels differently.  I'm not sure that I went back to sleep, but the machine fairly quickly ramped up the pressure to over 10.  I guess I don't understand why it's doing that.  My old machine would only ramp up pressure when I was deeply asleep.

The other question I have is why I shouldn't just set the inspiration pressure to a set number so that's it's not ramping pressure up and down all night.  It seems like that could really bother someone who's already sensitive to breathing things at night.

Your machine is now in Vauto mode with an EPAP min of 6.0 and PS of 4.  With these settings, the minimum pressure is 10.0/4.0.  It appears you have a 15 minute ramp set.

If you want lower pressure, you must lower the EPAP min to 4.0 or 5.0.  It's very possible you will find that works fine as there is very little change in pressure once your machine reaches its current minimum pressure. Since you don't have any apnrea, I see no reason to start at EPAP min of 6.0. Let's back down to these settings, and see where it takes you:

EPAP min 4.0
Max Pressure 14.0
PS 4.0

Your machine will start at 8.0/4.0 and will increase pressure if needed. Please turn off ramp.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like ramp is on though, since it starts at 4?

Maybe check, and make sure it's off?
Post Reply Post Reply
That's so weird, I just checked the machine and it says ramp is OFF.

I'm just learning the basics here of how this therapy works.  So, the IPAP controls flow limitations in someone with UARS?  Why don't flow limitations also happen on expiration?  Why would I want the Min EPAP to vary at all?  Why wouldn't i want it to just stay at 4 or 6 or whatever and only increase the IPAP?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2019, 12:59 PM)tarah Wrote: So, the IPAP controls flow limitations in someone with UARS?  Why don't flow limitations also happen on expiration?  Why would I want the Min EPAP to vary at all?  Why wouldn't i want it to just stay at 4 or 6 or whatever and only increase the IPAP?

Theoretically, I wish the Resmed VAuto would, like the Phillips auto-bilevel, allow flexible PS. But it doesn't.

So if, say, you're having some inspiratory FL, the machine will want to raise IPAP to address it. But that will drag up EPAP as well.

Standard protocol is you set EPAP to eliminate OAs, and IPAP (in auto, PS) to address Hs and RERAs.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 912 1 hour ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 152 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 54 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 611 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 193 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 78 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 197 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.