Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

UARS
RE: UARS
Tarah, Sleeprider
Just to brain storning:
Some things i have read about, raise some questions in your case: (1) all your flow limitations have to do with stuffy nose? (2) Or there would be something associated with tongue colapse, independently? ( parts of your charts suggest this, in which there are indications that FL are associated with deep sleep/REM, while relaxing); (3) in what extent stuffy nose would jeopardize your therapy?; It appears so, once when used Afrin things got much better; (4) would it possible CPAP flow itself agravating your stuffy nose?
Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know that all of the FLs have to do with a stuffy nose.  Everyone in my family has moderate to severe apnea so I have to believe there's other areas that are problematic as well.  That's why I was thinking of asking for the drug induced endoscopy at the same time as surgery.

The first 2 nights on Afrin went very well, but the 3rd night was not good.

I have been unable to breathe out of my nose well for a long time.  It's just gotten much worse in the past year.  I'm to the point where I can't even wear sunglasses because just that small amount of pressure on my nose is enough to prevent air from entering.  It seems that allergies are a big component, but in order to do allergy shots, I need to be off my nasal antihistamine.

My hope from surgery is that my nose is cleared up to the point that I will be able to complete allergy shots over the next year, possibly switch back to a nasal mask and begin figuring out ways to prevent my mouth from opening/jaw from falling backwards so that the CPAP can work correctly.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2019, 09:35 PM)mper6794 Wrote: Tarah, Sleeprider
Just to brain storning:
Some things i have read about, raise some questions in your case: (1) all your flow limitations have to do with stuffy nose? (2) Or there would be something associated with tongue colapse, independently? ( parts of your charts suggest this, in which there are indications that FL are associated with deep sleep/REM, while relaxing); (3) in what extent stuffy nose would jeopardize your therapy?; It appears so, once when used Afrin things got much better; (4) would it possible CPAP flow itself agravating your stuffy nose?
Good luck

I'm not a fan of the tongue collapsing into the soft palate theory, but it would explain the pattern for positional apnea that did not respond to using a soft cervical collar. That actually seems more plausible than nasal obstruction due to the clustered appearance of OA.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So many awakenings, so tiring.  Do I keep upping the PS and EPAPmin?

One thing I'm noticing is stretches of time, an hour, sometimes more, where the tidal volume is pretty consistent.  And then long period of time of so many problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2019, 01:30 PM)tarah Wrote: So many awakenings, so tiring.  Do I keep upping the PS and EPAPmin?

One thing I'm noticing is stretches of time, an hour, sometimes more, where the tidal volume is pretty consistent.  And then long period of time of so many problems.

I guess I'm thinking maybe not worth tweaking at this point, pre-surgery?

It's less than two weeks; right?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2019, 01:30 PM)tarah Wrote: So many awakenings, so tiring.  Do I keep upping the PS and EPAPmin?....Yes, this would the path for now; plenty of room for that....I  thought you should be already on PS:4.6, as previously discussed, not 4.4; no problem, it is fine.
Considering: there are too (a) many obstructions both in REM (22;25...5;37) and NREM; (b) it appears you are handling nicely, both pressures and leaks; © there was slight improve on MV, we could safetely go for EPAPmin: 6.8 and PS:4.6. (sligth increase in EPAPmin-PS, always trying to postpone CA's).

good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
I think perhaps mper6794 is on to something with additional collapse happening at specific sleep cycles.  If it were just a stuffy nose, why would I have hours where everything looks fine and then hours where there's so many problems?  It's almost the EXACT SAME pattern, night after night.  I even included a chart from back in June.  

Doesn't this look like collapse with deeper sleep cycles?  What can I do if this indeed is happening?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
It is a week and a half.  I guess I just hoping I will hit on something that sheds more light to what's happening.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2019, 02:36 PM)tarah Wrote: I think perhaps mper6794 is on to something with additional collapse happening at specific sleep cycles.  If it were just a stuffy nose, why would I have hours where everything looks fine and then hours where there's so many problems?  It's almost the EXACT SAME pattern, night after night.  I even included a chart from back in June.  

Doesn't this look like collapse with deeper sleep cycles?  What can I do if this indeed is happening?... Maybe keep on working as we are doing..
Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
Whatever else is present your game changes post surgery.  You will need to re-evaluate what is going on and move from there.  Between now and then make yourself  as comfortable as possible until you are capable (out of recovery) from your surgery.

Best of luck
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 937 6 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 157 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 62 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 617 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 195 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 79 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.