Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

UARS: AirCurve 10 VAUTO $500 vs Dreamstation APAP $400
UARS: AirCurve 10 VAUTO $500 vs Dreamstation APAP $400
So I got UARS RDI 13 diagnosed in Jefferson (philadelphia) Sleep Center two weeks ago.
My AHI is only 1 or 2, and I'm not eligible for CPAP coverage according to Jefferson's ENT doctor.
(I was anorexic all my life until 32, I went to ENT because my tonsils kinda large, but not too much, and bothered me with viral infections).

(btw, I got diagnosed with adult ADHD last week (35 yo) by a psychiatrist, so if it's really UARS you bet I'm going to treat it).

Same week I saw Jefferson's sleep medicine doctor to review my in-lab sleep study. I told her I'm going to buy CPAP myself, she knew about my ADHD diagnosis.

The thing is I was going to ask her for a BIPAP prescription (used) or Resmed AirSense 10 (I was willing to buy new...), but she told me they don't work/prescribe BiPAP even for their OSA patients at their sleep center... She ended up prescribing me Dreamstation APAP (5-20 pressure, 0-3 Flex) to buy on my own (after trying Provent for a month, also got a prescription for it, she told me it would be cheaper to try it first...).

She insisted on Dreamstation APAP over Airsense 10 because it would be better at detecting RERAs I believe she said. She wants to see me in THREE months and to look at the machine data to check for leaks, and to tweak it maybe

So now I look at Ebay, and damn, AirCurve 10 VAUTO (used) is only $500 (1500 to 2500 run hours), and Dreamstation APAP almost new for $400, it sounds like AirCurve is a better deal overall. And based on everything I read I'm not sure what would happen, if I end up needing high pressure for my UARS, I'd need BiPAP, and it seems to be better for comfort even at low pressure.

I wonder what do you guys think? Would be kinda rude to disregard my MD's prescription, buy BiPAP that she doesn't use with any patients, but still show up 3 months from now with data. I don't find any reliable info that Dreamstation is better at detecting RERAs, maybe it was true before AirSense updated their software and got that "FOR HER" thing. Not sure how hard it would be to get newer firmware If I get year old AirCurve from Ebay.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: UARS: AirCurve 10 VAUTO $500 vs Dreamstation APAP $400
If you read any recent UARS thread here, including mine (or see tarah's newer thread), you would conclude that you're almost certainly better off with the Resmed VAuto. 

Yes, there may be an awkward conversation with the doctor, but it's your health, after all.

PS - I think RERA detection on these machines is overrated absent an EEG.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! I'm mainly trying to convince myself to pull a trigger on AirCurve! I almost got one but it had 4700 hours, which seemed a lot. Dreamstations I see they almost always less than 100 hours.  

I'm googling today a lot about EEGs (DIY, home use). I bet there gotta be units that are made for home use sleep monitoring that are reasonably priced.
Post Reply Post Reply
EEG stuff remains pretty expensive. 

I use the Dreem 2 headband (more on my thread in this subforum, and in two other threads, one a review, elsewhere on the forum), which includes EEG sensors. But I don't have access to the raw data, and I'm not certain how fine-grained the arousals it reports are. But it's good enough for my purposes now.

There's discussion on tarah's thread for other options on where to score a vauto.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have not might try Craigslist for the VAuto.  I have seen a number of <500 hour VAuto machines for $400-500.

WillSleep

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
We have a very good article on treating UARS in our wiki here http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._and_BiPAP

Clearly, Dr Krakow strongly endorses bilevel therapy for treatment of UARS and flow limitation. Your sleep doctor is either clueless or getting a kick-back from Philips Respironics (I suspect both). In countless cases of UARS, flow limitation and hypopnea on this forum, the Philips Dreamstation has failed, and those who paid to upgrade to the Resmed Airsense 10 got much better results on the Resmed. The reason is that the Resmed is actually a bilevel with separate IPAP and EPAP channels with up to 3-cm of pressure support thanks to EPR (exhale pressure relief). The Philips uses a Flex algorithm for pressure transitions and has NO APPARENT BENEFIT for flow limitation and hypopnea over unmodified CPAP pressure. Please read the article, and the most important take-away is that UARS arises out of inspiratory flow limitation which is an incomplete obstruction or resistance in the upper airway. Treating it requires bilevel pressure, and single pressure CPAP is rarely successful, even at relatively high pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
hombrecpap, we're practically distant cousins :-). I was diagnosed ADD in midlife and I was born in Jefferson Hospital! not sure I'd return for apnea treatment though based on what you said. why on earth would they limit the types of machines they prescribe? it doesn't sound like they're putting patients first. however, I think I'd press the issue with my doc before following their plan or ditching them, just to see if there's a method to their madness. they should know more than us; we put our faith in them so we kind of have to assume they do, at least until we are pretty sure otherwise.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi himbrecpap!  First of all you’ve come to the right place for help.  These people are amazing at helping!!  
      DEFINITELY the Aircurve Over the dream station.  I started off with a respironics CPAP and with others help here moved to ResMed machines and with this boards help have made way better progress with the Resmed machines.  
       Try checking out the apps OfferUp and Mercari.  I found absolutely great deals on there. I found my Airsense 10 autoset for $300 with 1500 hours on it and the even better killer deal, after a few prominent members suggestions, I found a Aircurve Vauto for $300 with only 200 hours on it.  
       Hope this helps, and like I said, you’ve definitely come to the right place.  

Brian
Post Reply Post Reply
I was deciding between 
AirCurve 10 VAUTO  (found one on a DME-owned forum .com, 400 hours)
or wait to find rare(?)
AirSense 10 Autoset for HER

Decided on AirCurve 10... I'll post my Jefferson sleep study and updates soon in this thread I think
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2019, 12:16 PM)hombrecpap Wrote: I was deciding between 
AirCurve 10 VAUTO  (found one on  [[ Auto Word Filter: links to DME-owned sites not allowed ]] .com, 400 hours)
or wait to find rare(?)
AirSense 10 Autoset for HER

Decided on AirCurve 10... I'll post my Jefferson sleep study and updates soon in this thread I think

Definitely the right decision; you won't regret it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 935 5 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 156 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 60 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 296 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 617 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 195 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 851 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.