Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

UARS - ENT Recommended Septoplasty/Turbinate Reduction....experience?
UARS - ENT Recommended Septoplasty/Turbinate Reduction....experience?
My AHI is low enough that I actually do not use a CPAP (I did for years but it wasn't making a huge difference) Recently saw an ENT because my last sleep study revealed that my stage 3 sleep is completely absent.

ENT found partial blockage on the left nostril and almost complete obstruction on the right. She's reccomending septoplasty and turbinate reduction.

She said she can pretty much guarantee that my headaches will get better, but couldn't make any guarantees about sleep quality. That part really sucks.

Am I just doomed to not get stage 3 (restorative) sleep ever? Have you guys done this surgery? I'd like to hear some experiences.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: UARS - ENT Recommended Septoplasty/Turbinate Reduction....experience?
Surgery is not fun, and there are no guarantees, however you have been diagnosed with a significant nasal obstruction. If you can deal with the expense, down-time and recovery it's probably worthwhile to be able to freely breath through your nose and potentially sleep better. Not too many of us have the option to resolve the problem that easily.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2016, 12:05 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Surgery is not fun, and there are no guarantees, however you have been diagnosed with a significant nasal obstruction. If you can deal with the expense, down-time and recovery it's probably worthwhile to be able to freely breath through your nose and potentially sleep better. Not too many of us have the option to resolve the problem that easily.

yes you echoed my thoughts almost exactly. The surgery itself isn't a big deal (relative to other surgeries) its a one hour procedure and most people return to work within 2 days. The cost is also lower than a lot of surgeries. I think I'll go for it but probably will wait until next year so I meet my deductible right away.
Post Reply Post Reply
the ENT stated several times over she can't promise it will help with sleep quality. Regardless I should probably go for it.

If it doesn't help with sleep quality, this begs the question... why in the hell is my body not allowing for me to get into Stage 3 sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the exact same thing done several months ago. First week or two I wondered if it was all worth it. Now I am totally glad I had it all done and went through with it!

I breathe better than I have since I can remember. My nose would be nearly blocked solid just about every night, all night even with my window wide open all winter.

Now I have no problems at all breathing all night long!

The first week of recovery is the worst part.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2016, 12:37 PM)LB1982 Wrote: the ENT stated several times over she can't promise it will help with sleep quality. Regardless I should probably go for it.

If it doesn't help with sleep quality, this begs the question... why in the hell is my body not allowing for me to get into Stage 3 sleep?

Your question is the easiest of all to answer for those of us that PAP...we will cross that bridge when we come to it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2016, 02:36 PM)RichardVT Wrote: I had the exact same thing done several months ago. First week or two I wondered if it was all worth it. Now I am totally glad I had it all done and went through with it!

I breathe better than I have since I can remember. My nose would be nearly blocked solid just about every night, all night even with my window wide open all winter.

oddly enough, I don't really feel congested. I relocated to a different region of the country about 15 years ago, and I've not had bad allergies since. Back home, they were horrible. Constantly had a difficult time breathing. That said, I have a headache just about everyday and I'm guessing it could be related to the nasal obstruction.

Did your sleep quality increase? As I posted earlier in the thread I don't use a CPAP anymore (my AHI is low) but both sleep studies revealed I am getting 0% Stage 3 sleep. The ENT thinks maybe its related to the nose obstruction but I sleep with my mouth open and even still I get no Stage 3 apparently. I'm skeptical it will help with sleep but I may just go for it anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2016, 06:07 PM)LB1982 Wrote:
(09-29-2016, 02:36 PM)RichardVT Wrote: I had the exact same thing done several months ago. First week or two I wondered if it was all worth it. Now I am totally glad I had it all done and went through with it!

oddly enough, I don't really feel congested. I relocated to a different region of the country about 15 years ago, and I've not had bad allergies since. Back home, they were horrible. Constantly had a difficult time breathing. That said, I have a headache just about everyday and I'm guessing it could be related to the nasal obstruction.

Did your sleep quality increase? As I posted earlier in the thread I don't use a CPAP anymore (my AHI is low) but both sleep studies revealed I am getting 0% Stage 3 sleep. The ENT thinks maybe its related to the nose obstruction but I sleep with my mouth open and even still I get no Stage 3 apparently. I'm skeptical it will help with sleep but I may just go for it anyway.

How low is low ahi.??
Ive had polyp and turbinate surgery, includind some bone removed.

The turbinate surgery was a waste of time though the polyps removed did a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2016, 06:07 PM)LB1982 Wrote: Did your sleep quality increase? As I posted earlier in the thread I don't use a CPAP anymore (my AHI is low) but both sleep studies revealed I am getting 0% Stage 3 sleep. The ENT thinks maybe its related to the nose obstruction but I sleep with my mouth open and even still I get no Stage 3 apparently. I'm skeptical it will help with sleep but I may just go for it anyway.

No, only when I awoke numerous times per night did I then notice every time that my nose is no longer blocked. Since that surgery, I began using the CPAP two weeks ago today and am now finally feeling more rested. I also had much mucus in my throat at night which the surgery also cured.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi LB1982.

Welcome to the Apnea Board. I too had these surgeries. I had immediate relief when the nasal splints were removed 6 days after my surgery. It still took about 3 months to see the full benefit of the surgery. The problem is that there is no guarantee that you will get more stage 3 sleep. An AHI under 5 does not mean that some form of apnea is not interfering with your sleep. I would give the nasal surgery a try. I would then get another sleep study to see if your sleep quality has improved. I would also want to know that the Sleep Doc is going to look at O2 saturation levels throughout the night. I would also want to know if you are having episodes of periodic breathing and/or significant episodes of shorter than 10 second episodes of hypopnea like breathing. You are at the beginning of figuring out what is interfering with your sleep quality. Keep us posted.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 3 807 8 hours ago
Last Post: gzaw
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 22 439 Yesterday, 07:50 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 4 489 03-11-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 482 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  UARS suspected - how set IPAP and EPAP jrcifani5005 20 1,025 03-05-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: jrcifani5005
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 941 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 833 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.