Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

UARS - ENT Recommended Septoplasty/Turbinate Reduction....experience?
RE: UARS - ENT Recommended Septoplasty/Turbinate Reduction....experience?
(09-30-2016, 06:45 AM)richb Wrote: Hi LB1982.

Welcome to the Apnea Board. I too had these surgeries. I had immediate relief when the nasal splints were removed 6 days after my surgery. It still took about 3 months to see the full benefit of the surgery. The problem is that there is no guarantee that you will get more stage 3 sleep. An AHI under 5 does not mean that some form of apnea is not interfering with your sleep. I would give the nasal surgery a try. I would then get another sleep study to see if your sleep quality has improved. I would also want to know that the Sleep Doc is going to look at O2 saturation levels throughout the night. I would also want to know if you are having episodes of periodic breathing and/or significant episodes of shorter than 10 second episodes of hypopnea like breathing. You are at the beginning of figuring out what is interfering with your sleep quality. Keep us posted.

Rich

someone had asked what my AHI is in a prior post:

In 2007 5.3 AHI
2011 3.6 AHI

The reason I stated I have a low AHI was to indicate I believe despite a low AHI, the extremely poor sleep architecture is a sign of just how bad my sleep is.

My 2011 study revealed:

Stage 1 5%
Stage 2 72%
Stage 3 0%
REM 22%
AHI 3.6 (all occurring during REM sleep, with more apneas occurring while I was on my back)

Lowest oxygen saturation was 88%
Mean oxygen saturation was 94%

No mention of hypo apneas on this sleep study, good point!

I will probably give the surgery a shot. Over the weekend I will sit down and look at whether it makes more sense from a financial aspect to do it towards the end of this year, or the beginning of next year.

I really appreciate all the advice I've received here.

Post Reply Post Reply
As Sleeprider pointed out, you have more bridges to cross in the future. To me it looks like your Dr is mostly looking at the insurance aspect of your problem. Get the surgery and then start working on issues that remain when you are fully healed. That probably means another PSG if your symptoms persist.

Rich

Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2016, 11:14 AM)LB1982 Wrote: My AHI is low enough that I actually do not use a CPAP (I did for years but it wasn't making a huge difference) Recently saw an ENT because my last sleep study revealed that my stage 3 sleep is completely absent.

ENT found partial blockage on the left nostril and almost complete obstruction on the right. She's reccomending septoplasty and turbinate reduction.

She said she can pretty much guarantee that my headaches will get better, but couldn't make any guarantees about sleep quality. That part really sucks.

Am I just doomed to not get stage 3 (restorative) sleep ever? Have you guys done this surgery? I'd like to hear some experiences.

Hi, did you have the procedure done? I'm about to have it in a couple weeks. Did it improve your total sleep time or quality?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had the surgery and wish I had done it sooner.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
I had a Balloon Sinusplasty done over two weeks ago and there was a bit of pain but well worth it. I can actually breathe! It is wonderful.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 3 824 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: gzaw
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 22 450 03-17-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 4 492 03-11-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 487 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  UARS suspected - how set IPAP and EPAP jrcifani5005 20 1,031 03-05-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: jrcifani5005
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 942 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 836 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.