Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

UARS and continued fatigue
RE: UARS and continued fatigue
(07-25-2013, 08:00 AM)allielb83 Wrote: RonWessels, I somewhat understand what AHI, FLow limitations etc are, I just can't interpret very well.

If you don't have the ResScan Interpretation Guide, it will help somewhat. Here's the link:

http://www.apneaboard.com/ResScan_Interp...-Guide.pdf

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I would strongly recommend that you read that guide. The first part is all about installing and using the ResScan program, but the latter part of that guide gives some really good information about what the graphs and other information means and how to interpret it.

If you have questions about any of that stuff, feel free to ask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi allielb83, welcome to the forum!

Here is an article which includes discussion of RERAs (Respiratory Effort Related Arousals) and suggests bi-level treatment can often improve sleep quality beyond that achievable by common CPAP therapy.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-and-BiPAP

However, in your case about half of your AHI is made up of Central Apnea events, and I think standard bi-level therapy tends make CA events more frequent.

CA events usually resolve themselves during the first several months of PAP therapy, decreasing on their own to just a few per hour or less.

If you eventually try bi-level therapy to see if it will improve your sleep quality, after 6 months if the CA events have not decreased to a few per hour or less, there are types of bi-level therapy which can handle both OA and CA events. One is called Adaptive Servo Ventilation (ASV) therapy, but new ASV machines are nearly $2K from Supplier #2, and I think some insurance programs will not cover ASV machines unless the majority of the events making up the AHI (Apnea Hypopnea Index, average number of events per hour) are Central Apnea events, AND the CA Index (all by itself) is at least 5 per hour (or with some insurance programs, at least 15 per hour). So perhaps one may need to pay for that type of machine out-of-pocket.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 71 26 minutes ago
Last Post: SingleH
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 23 1 hour ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 961 Today, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 168 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 624 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 197 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 80 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.