Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

UARS success stories
UARS success stories
I've been lurking on this site for a few weeks now. I've found some information about UARS, but not really any success stories, so I'm hoping someone will write in with theirs.

My symptoms are debilitating. I haven't worked full time in three years and haven't worked at all in the past year. I used to love my job and love my life; now I just try to make it through each day. Sleep doc says that UARS is probably not the whole story but could be a significant part of it.

I started using APAP three weeks ago. First a Respironics System One (which was too noisy...high pitched squeal) then an F&P Icon (which was causing me to open my mouth on exhalation, I think) and now a ResMed AutoSet. I alternate between Resmed Swift FX for Her nasal pillows and a Respironics Wisp Nasal Mask. I prefer the pillows, but switch to the mask when my nostrils get sore. I am conscious of waking 2-3 times nightly to change positions without disturbing my mask. I fall back asleep almost immediately.

My AHI is always below 5, my unintentional leaks are zero and my pressure ranges from 5-11.

After two weeks, I had some temporary improvement. I started running, had people over, did some ironing (very rare in my house!) and told everyone I was getting better. But, it must have been placebo effect, as I'm now back to my tired and lazy "normal".

I've read in a few places to give it a good 5-6 weeks. So, I still have some hope. But that advice was from people with sleep apnea. I'd like to hear from someone with UARS.

If I do end up being a success story I will post again with a time-line.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: UARS success stories
Hi megan_charles,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your question about URAS.
As far as your pillows mask, you might try some HPA Lanolin to help with the irritation in your nose. It can be found in the baby isle of most stores. Anyway, you just swav a LITTLE bit in your nostriles with a Q-tip and you might get a better seal as well.
Best of luck and hang in there.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2013, 04:06 PM)megan_charles Wrote: I alternate between Resmed Swift FX for Her nasal pillows and a Respironics Wisp Nasal Mask. I prefer the pillows, but switch to the mask when my nostrils get sore.

My AHI is always below 5, my unintentional leaks are zero and my pressure ranges from 5-11.
Sore inside the nose may be caused by nasal pillows wrong size or just a matter of your nose 'toughing up' over time, so try switching back and forth between nasal and nasal pillows masks

As Trish mentioned, you may also benefit from using nasal moisturizer which can provide some relief

If CPAP air feel dry and you,re already using humidifier, try higher setting ... if that causes condensation, try an insulating hose cover or climateline which on auto mode, you select temperature to preference and protects against rainout

[Whats the pressure for median, 95% percentile and maximum?]

Post Reply Post Reply
Is the UARS based in AHI or RDI? With pressures up to 11 I would suspect you actually have OSA if it was based on test AHI rather than RDI which is usually worse.
Post Reply Post Reply
@zonk: my median pressure is 7.7cm, 95% is 9.7cm and max is 10.8cm.
@Jcross: the UARS is based on RERAs, daytime symptoms and my response to modafinil. I don't think I had any apneas in the sleep lab, though I do at home, according to my APAP machines.

Thanks to everyone for advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2013, 10:14 PM)megan_charles Wrote: @zonk: my median pressure is 7.7cm, 95% is 9.7cm and max is 10.8cm.
Nice set of numbers ... indicate optimal treatment
Next followup ... your doctor may want to narrow the range
Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 90 11 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 987 Yesterday, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 177 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,630 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 633 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 626,085 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 203 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.