Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

UK Question, which machine
Arrow 
UK Question, which machine
I have contacted the sleep clinic to ask if they do supply auto cpap machines now. Still waiting for a reply.

So in the mean time, is there anyone here in the UK, Scotland preferably, have an auto cpap on the NHS? If so, what did you do to get one and how long did you have to wait?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: UK Question, which machine
Well, down here in the deep south, of England that is, a couple of weeks after my sleep test I saw the nurse and he gave me an S9AutoSet.
At my appointment 6 weeks later after complaining of the old dry mouth syndrome he gave me a humidifier.
At my appointment 6 weeks later I pointed out that if I took the humidity above 5% there was an excess of water in the pipe so I was given an insulated sleeve to go over it.

My feeling would be that we are given the minimum that the NHS can get away with.

I must knuckle down and look at my setup, as waking in the early hours every morning as I do cannot be right.

The timescale did not seem excessive, for the NHS that is.

Hope that is of some help.

Phill
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Phill

Thanks for the reply.

I must be doing something right. I called the sleep clinic yesterday, had an appointment this morning and walked out with a Resmed S9 autoset. Its only for a months trial, but if I get on with it better than the old S8 I can keep it. I think I know the answer already!

Like you, I wake in the early hours. 4am is not unusual. I am hoping the S9 can shed some light on it for me.

Post Reply Post Reply
Waking in the early hours seems a somewhat common malady. I can't find anything in my data that could be a cause.

Clusters of events seem to come in the early morning for many of us, but I don't see a correlation in my data between them and waking. In other words, waking is not usually accompanied by the clusters, and the clusters don't usually accompany a waking. But the problem is that we don't always have a recollection of waking.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just had my first siesta with the S9 and what a difference! It is so frickin quiet! Only had an hour , but I am quite excited by this.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hope it works for you, did they give you the humidifier as well?
I found my mouth was not quite so dry using it, but it was not as effective as I was expecting.

The ResScan software download on the site is very handy.

Sleepster, yes the early hours waking is a pain!!
I am wondering if my max pressure is set too high as when I wake up air seems to be blowing hard. Interestingly the nurse suggested that I switch the machine off and back on again, this of course puts it back into ramp up mode.
I had worked this out for myself previously, but as I have normally got 4 hours of sleep in by this time I take the mask off and try to get back to sleep without it.
My median sleep from ResScan is 3.95 hours, fairly constant.
Post Reply Post Reply
Phill, you should download the Sleepyhead software linked at the top of this page and start looking at your data. You will be able to see what pressure is in the morning, and whether it is associated with some major leaks. If you sense the pressure, most likely it is because you have leaks and the air is rushing out of the mask. Taking off your mask every morning and falling back to sleep is a terrible habit. You should try to resolve the problem to get comfortable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2015, 10:34 AM)Phill Wrote: I had worked this out for myself previously, but as I have normally got 4 hours of sleep in by this time I take the mask off and try to get back to sleep without it.

The problem is adaptation. As I've adapted to CPAP therapy these awakenings have gotten less frequent, and when they do occur they last for a shorter amount of time.

The best thing to do is check with software to see what happened just before the awakening. Were there apneas? Was the pressure too high?

When you sleep without the mask you reverse the adaptation process. You'll never get adapted if you keep doing that. Not to mention the strain to your cardiovascular system causing problems like high blood pressure and increased risk of heart attack or stroke resulting in death.

Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Early morning hours is when most people get REM sleep. Both of my sleep studies showed that most of my REM occurs from 3-5 a.m. I get some from about midnight-2, but maybe 20 minutes at most. Nearly all my apneas show up at those times.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Phill, no humidifier - but then I have never used one as I prefer the cooler air.

I have managed to get Sleepyhead to work, and there are no events near when I wake up, so I am guessing thats how I will be sleeping. I do get a good six hours straight sleep in, so its not all bad. I just struggle to stay awake after 9pm!

Now then, what do all those lovely graphs mean in Sleepyhead . . .
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Was there a question about hackers accessing your CPAP machine. I am experiencing thi DBlake 2 497 12-24-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,165 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Medicare Question - Replacement Machine srlevine1 7 777 04-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,792 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Question: New Machine - Registration Process with DME Aldebaran 8 1,184 03-25-2022, 09:10 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  General question for someone just starting on a BIPAP machine 1kworthy 4 857 01-24-2022, 02:51 AM
Last Post: holden4th

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.