Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: 6 to 9
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Gross UNCLASSIFIED APNEA
Hi Folks, last nights data showed I had an unclassified apnea and it was a long one. I have seen many different types of situations with me but most of my OA's and Hypopneas have been about 12 seconds long and I also get an occasional central as well but again only about 10-12 seconds. last nights unclassified apnea lasted .40 seconds with a large recovery breath and me waking fully. At that point I took the mask off for the rest of the night, not sure why I didn't put it back on. How does one go about figuring out whether it was an OA or CA? If these long events happen more often I may need an ASV machine instead of an Autoset.
09-13-2015 12:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

RE: UNCLASSIFIED APNEA
I would try fix the leak, if the numbers too high. Large can spring out any time and fool the machine
Usually obstructive apnea have flow limitation component, the Autoset increase pressure to deal with FL but not during an apnea event, it wait until the event is over and increase pressure if the events is obstructive (not central) providing the pressure haven't reached the maximum already. Also an apnea can occur out of the blue, without the usual signs of snoring and FL and no machine can prevent that
09-13-2015 03:45 PM
Adoniscmj Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense10 Autoset for her

Other Comments:

Yea, the pressure of the machine was at max set pressure and I had a large recovery breath after so I am not thinking it was a large leak.
09-13-2015 05:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(09-13-2015 12:42 PM)Adoniscmj Wrote:  Hi Folks, last nights data showed I had an unclassified apnea and it was a long one. I have seen many different types of situations with me but most of my OA's and Hypopneas have been about 12 seconds long and I also get an occasional central as well but again only about 10-12 seconds. last nights unclassified apnea lasted .40 seconds with a large recovery breath and me waking fully. At that point I took the mask off for the rest of the night, not sure why I didn't put it back on. How does one go about figuring out whether it was an OA or CA? If these long events happen more often I may need an ASV machine instead of an Autoset.

Recovery breaths are most often associated with obstructive events rather than central events.

If an apnea occurs when the unintended Leak is 30 Liter/minute or higher then the machine will not attempt to classify it as central or as obstructive and names it an unclassified apnea.

If the large Leak was fairly steady, then in the Flow waveform you should still be able to see the breathing pattern, the inhales and exhales. If these stop and the Flow waveform stays centered on the horizontal axis (not blown off the axis by varying large Leak) while the machine is scoring an apnea, then I think the machine probably has accurately scored the apnea. Perhaps the Leak was large enough that the pressure was lower than it should have been at the mask, and that may have allowed an obstructive apnea to occur.

I think lots of patients (most) will have an elevated number of obstructive apneas during large unintended Leak,especially if during REM sleep. The machine simply does not work as well when the unintentional Leak is larger than about 30.

We are supposed to keep unintended Leak below 24 L/m.

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2015 01:07 AM by vsheline.)
09-14-2015 01:00 AM
Adoniscmj Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense10 Autoset for her

Other Comments:

(09-14-2015 01:00 AM)vsheline Wrote:  
(09-13-2015 12:42 PM)Adoniscmj Wrote:  Hi Folks, last nights data showed I had an unclassified apnea and it was a long one. I have seen many different types of situations with me but most of my OA's and Hypopneas have been about 12 seconds long and I also get an occasional central as well but again only about 10-12 seconds. last nights unclassified apnea lasted .40 seconds with a large recovery breath and me waking fully. At that point I took the mask off for the rest of the night, not sure why I didn't put it back on. How does one go about figuring out whether it was an OA or CA? If these long events happen more often I may need an ASV machine instead of an Autoset.

Recovery breaths are most often associated with obstructive events rather than central events.

If an apnea occurs when the unintended Leak is 30 Liter/minute or higher then the machine will not attempt to classify it as central or as obstructive and names it an unclassified apnea.

If the large Leak was fairly steady, then in the Flow waveform you should still be able to see the breathing pattern, the inhales and exhales. If these stop and the Flow waveform stays centered on the horizontal axis (not blown off the axis by varying large Leak) while the machine is scoring an apnea, then I think the machine probably has accurately scored the apnea. Perhaps the Leak was large enough that the pressure was lower than it should have been at the mask, and that may have allowed an obstructive apnea to occur.

I think lots of patients (most) will have an elevated number of obstructive apneas during large unintended Leak,especially if during REM sleep. The machine simply does not work as well when the unintentional Leak is larger than about 30.

We are supposed to keep unintended Leak below 24 L/m.
Thank you I believe you are probably correct as there was a leak as well, however not sure how the leak happened because I had a great seal and no leak most of the night. I must have rolled over and dislogded the mask some. Then with out the full support of the machine I had a bad apnea, this was the longest I have recorded me having. If I am having apneas lasting as long as .40 seconds it just reminds me as to why I need to be on this machine all through the night.
09-14-2015 09:32 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Unclassified apneas nativedancer 32 3,591 07-12-2015 11:17 AM
Last Post: tedburnsIII
  pls define unclassified apneas nativedancer 5 1,208 06-27-2015 09:21 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  The thoughts that I have on Apnea Board, and two other Apnea/PAP related forum ares. BiLevel48 16 4,520 04-30-2015 07:27 AM
Last Post: AlanE
  [CPAP] ResMed - Unclassified Apneas MR-ab 10 3,116 01-17-2015 02:22 PM
Last Post: vsheline
  [Treatment] Unclassified Apneas Thomas P 7 2,909 01-02-2015 09:37 AM
Last Post: Thomas P
  Can Clear Airway Apnea not be Central Apnea? tomko44 17 7,895 12-08-2012 04:11 PM
Last Post: vsheline