Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

UNCLASSIFIED APNEA
Gross 
UNCLASSIFIED APNEA
Hi Folks, last nights data showed I had an unclassified apnea and it was a long one. I have seen many different types of situations with me but most of my OA's and Hypopneas have been about 12 seconds long and I also get an occasional central as well but again only about 10-12 seconds. last nights unclassified apnea lasted .40 seconds with a large recovery breath and me waking fully. At that point I took the mask off for the rest of the night, not sure why I didn't put it back on. How does one go about figuring out whether it was an OA or CA? If these long events happen more often I may need an ASV machine instead of an Autoset.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: UNCLASSIFIED APNEA
I would try fix the leak, if the numbers too high. Large can spring out any time and fool the machine
Usually obstructive apnea have flow limitation component, the Autoset increase pressure to deal with FL but not during an apnea event, it wait until the event is over and increase pressure if the events is obstructive (not central) providing the pressure haven't reached the maximum already. Also an apnea can occur out of the blue, without the usual signs of snoring and FL and no machine can prevent that

Post Reply Post Reply
Yea, the pressure of the machine was at max set pressure and I had a large recovery breath after so I am not thinking it was a large leak.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2015, 12:42 PM)Adoniscmj Wrote: Hi Folks, last nights data showed I had an unclassified apnea and it was a long one. I have seen many different types of situations with me but most of my OA's and Hypopneas have been about 12 seconds long and I also get an occasional central as well but again only about 10-12 seconds. last nights unclassified apnea lasted .40 seconds with a large recovery breath and me waking fully. At that point I took the mask off for the rest of the night, not sure why I didn't put it back on. How does one go about figuring out whether it was an OA or CA? If these long events happen more often I may need an ASV machine instead of an Autoset.

Recovery breaths are most often associated with obstructive events rather than central events.

If an apnea occurs when the unintended Leak is 30 Liter/minute or higher then the machine will not attempt to classify it as central or as obstructive and names it an unclassified apnea.

If the large Leak was fairly steady, then in the Flow waveform you should still be able to see the breathing pattern, the inhales and exhales. If these stop and the Flow waveform stays centered on the horizontal axis (not blown off the axis by varying large Leak) while the machine is scoring an apnea, then I think the machine probably has accurately scored the apnea. Perhaps the Leak was large enough that the pressure was lower than it should have been at the mask, and that may have allowed an obstructive apnea to occur.

I think lots of patients (most) will have an elevated number of obstructive apneas during large unintended Leak,especially if during REM sleep. The machine simply does not work as well when the unintentional Leak is larger than about 30.

We are supposed to keep unintended Leak below 24 L/m.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2015, 01:00 AM)vsheline Wrote:
(09-13-2015, 12:42 PM)Adoniscmj Wrote: Hi Folks, last nights data showed I had an unclassified apnea and it was a long one. I have seen many different types of situations with me but most of my OA's and Hypopneas have been about 12 seconds long and I also get an occasional central as well but again only about 10-12 seconds. last nights unclassified apnea lasted .40 seconds with a large recovery breath and me waking fully. At that point I took the mask off for the rest of the night, not sure why I didn't put it back on. How does one go about figuring out whether it was an OA or CA? If these long events happen more often I may need an ASV machine instead of an Autoset.

Recovery breaths are most often associated with obstructive events rather than central events.

If an apnea occurs when the unintended Leak is 30 Liter/minute or higher then the machine will not attempt to classify it as central or as obstructive and names it an unclassified apnea.

If the large Leak was fairly steady, then in the Flow waveform you should still be able to see the breathing pattern, the inhales and exhales. If these stop and the Flow waveform stays centered on the horizontal axis (not blown off the axis by varying large Leak) while the machine is scoring an apnea, then I think the machine probably has accurately scored the apnea. Perhaps the Leak was large enough that the pressure was lower than it should have been at the mask, and that may have allowed an obstructive apnea to occur.

I think lots of patients (most) will have an elevated number of obstructive apneas during large unintended Leak,especially if during REM sleep. The machine simply does not work as well when the unintentional Leak is larger than about 30.

We are supposed to keep unintended Leak below 24 L/m.
Thank you I believe you are probably correct as there was a leak as well, however not sure how the leak happened because I had a great seal and no leak most of the night. I must have rolled over and dislogded the mask some. Then with out the full support of the machine I had a bad apnea, this was the longest I have recorded me having. If I am having apneas lasting as long as .40 seconds it just reminds me as to why I need to be on this machine all through the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been on CPAP for about a year and my AHI's  are now down to about 0.50 or less, sometimes 0. with rare O.A's , mostly hypoapneas and sometimes unclassified apneas. Lately I feel tired at wake up, though. I notice frequent large leaks, sometimes up to 50 or 60 l, frequently above  25 l. and I wonder if my fatigue is due to O.A.'s that the machine does not record because of the large leaks.
My machine is a Resmed Air Sense 10 Autoset. I use Oscar. The OA's have all but disappeared after my doctor has adjusted  the pressure range to 12-16, but can I still have unrecorded OA's because of the leaks?

Thanks

Ittiandro
Post Reply Post Reply
Large leaks can and do obscure readings.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2021, 12:26 PM)Gideon Wrote: Large leaks can and do obscure readings.

Thanks

I have looked at the Oscar Guide  link you provided, in particular the leak rate and large leaks issues..
From an approximate manual count of the LL   based on the event flag graph in Oscar, I believe I am often hitting  the 30% LL nightly threshold, but I cannot see a specific graph in Oscar showing the precise hourly LL curve by percentage during the night, like in the Sleepy Head. Where can I find it in Oscar?
If, as you say, large leaks can and do obscure things, may be these leaks do affect my therapy and are the cause of my fatigue lately, even though the Oscar report shows no OA's.

Ittiandro
Post Reply Post Reply
Flow limits are not reported, it does show a graph. Flow limits are smaller apnea. If you have a lot they can stop you from getting into deep sleep and cause fatigue. Maybe you should show a recent OSCAR.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Your treatment issues may get buried here. Want it split out to its own thread? We'd need to see an OSCAR shot to really help out.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 306 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Bipap Unclassified Apneas Insomniac230 14 814 10-05-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,392 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,584 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Why all my apneas are "unclassified"? (S9 VPAP ST) neoberg 1 584 09-06-2021, 01:24 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.