Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

UPPP, Septoplasty & Turbinate Reduction
RE: UPPP, Septoplasty & Turbinate Reduction
(07-10-2015, 12:59 PM)meguys123 Wrote: I had the procedure done 8 days ago....I'll keep you posted

I read through this thread really hoping to find out how your surgery went !! If you have time could you let us know how things worked out ? Is your RDI lower ? How are your daytime symptoms ?

I'll detail my similar experiences in another thread one day.

regards
Peter
Post Reply Post Reply
Suggest you also read Stephen Park MD's book.

Maybe your turbonates are enlarged for a reason..is reflux a possible antagonist? Surgeons might not check.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Guys:

Here is my UPPP Story:

Am on high dose Percocet so if this message is wacky, don't be surprised.

I have been using my Dreammachine CPAP Auto for about 6 weeks and it was helping alot at night. But, my large soft palate made exhalation out of my nose difficult even during the day, could not sneeze out of nose and was very frustrated with daytime breathing.

I had the turbinectomy, sinus windows and septum fixed up about 15 years ago.

I was refered to the local ENT by my sleep therapist, NP.
I have read on other sites about the problems with UPPP. I was told by the surgeon that I would see a good response to opening up my throat since it was very obvious my uvulla was way too large and my throat was too narrow.
I chose to go ahead with the UPPP. Surgery was last week on Thursday Dec 8th at a small regional hospital OP surgery dept.

. I was prepared for the pain and boy was I not disappointed. Reminded me of my tonsillectomy when I was 9 y.o. only much worse.

I am a retired IV pharmacist so I told the MD i would like to keep in my IV catheter so I could do both oral and IV hydration since it seemed that many of the horror stories about UPPP's involved pts not getting enough fluid down and plugging up/ drying up.

(no IV pain meds though....heh)

. I finally pulled the IV line last night when I noticed some swelling in my feet. I figured I was getting too aggressive with my fluids. Now I can sip fluids, cool water, or warm like hot chocolate.

Now at day 4, if I take my Percocet 7.5, using 1 tab q 4hr around the clock and Celebrex 200mg q12h I am surviving well.

. these 2 meds are godsends and I can eat soft food at about 1hr after taking my pain meds.
I am able to tolerate Malto-meal with lots of milk.....Yay!!!, soft scrambled eggs, ice cream, yogurt and yesterday for the first time some sips of mountain dew....heh. Had major caffiene loss headache for 3 days.

I still need the CPAP while napping/ sleeping due to swelling palate and pharynx.

Nice neighbors brought in food for my wife.....Kentucky Fried chicken and left overs from a Church Christman party....damn that smelled so good I tried to eat a drum stick and survived Wink
Neighbors brought over popcicles and icecream for me... The popsicles work great when I am late with a pain med dose, numbing my incisions enough to swallow my pain meds.

Well, enuf for now.. will give updates if you want. I will keep on cpap till cleared to stop.

Scotty
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi scotty! It's good to hear you are doing well. How long do you expect before you can add some bacon with the eggs and some pie with the ice cream?

Keep us informed.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope your healing well and the procedure is helping!
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Cool 
(12-12-2016, 05:08 PM)Mr. Van Winkle Wrote: I hope your healing well and the procedure is helping!
Sleep-well

Thanks all for your encouragement... two step forward, one back..

Very very hungary sic heh and decide for lunch to try some pancakes..

Tasted great! But chunks got lodged in sutures and just gently coughing the food back to chew again caused enough trauma that the last 3 hours have been baaaaaad....hick

Fortunately I still have popcicles. Ate one, slowly, and took my Percocet and should be good for another 4 hours.

Scotty
Post Reply Post Reply
We are rooting for you.Okay

Post Reply Post Reply
Any update?

I'm 1 day post-op UPPP and my surgeon told me I should expect around 5-10 AHI combined with oral appliance instead of 40. Let's hope it works!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
(12-12-2016, 06:54 PM)Scotty, Thanks for you kind wishes. Sorry I took so long to update my condition and report to the forum on my post surgical results.It is now over 3 months since my UPPP surgery. I used my CPAP, set on max humidity, for a about a month after the surgery.I haven\t used the CPAP for about 2 months, since I can now nose breath and my AHI Wrote:  
(12-12-2016, 05:08 PM)Mr. Van Winkle Wrote: I hope your healing well and the procedure is helping!
Sleep-well

Thanks all for your encouragement... two step forward, one back..

Very very hungary sic heh and decide for lunch to try some pancakes..

Tasted great!  But chunks got lodged in sutures and just gently coughing the food back to chew again caused enough trauma that the last 3 hours have been baaaaaad....hick

Fortunately I still have popcicles.  Ate one, slowly, and took my Percocet and should be good for another 4 hours.

Scotty
Post Reply Post Reply
Well,

That reply got all chopped up. Dang it.
It has been over 3 months since my UPPP.
My AHI's, post surgery, the last time is used my CPAP, are running between 1 and 2.
The post surgical recovery was very painful and thank goodness my surgeon kept me supplied with Percocet 7.5 every 4-6 hours. Opiod induced Constipation is horrendous and Docusate( a stool softener) is worthless. You should try to take Metamucil 2-3 times a day with lots of fluids.
I Can breath good through my nose, both in and out, where as before I could only breath in.
I am still relearning how to swallow but the choking spells have gone way down in frequency.
I lost over 20 lbs during my recovery and I still prefer a protein shake vs a sandwich. Food still sticks in my pharynx and I cough it back in my mouth to rechew it better. Kind of like a cow chewing her cud.
Yes, I would do it all over again, but my singing career is finished, heh.
You will need lots of time to recover. It has taken over 2 months for the swelling to recede.
Lots of humidity (used boiling pot on the stove) helps with the healing, but I frozen the doors to my house shut when the outside temperature, in December, hit minus 30 degrees below zero F.

Good luck to you all in your pursuit of a smooth and open airway,

Scotty in Idaho
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 352 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  CPAP issues after tonsillectomy + septoplasty bloom25 14 1,299 01-31-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: bloom25
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,336 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  Did you felt better after an septoplasty and turbinate reduction? MikeR20 5 628 11-24-2023, 04:49 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Tonsillectomy and UPPP surgery Jen0628jen 3 559 11-02-2023, 09:21 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Large Number of Flow Limits Even After Septoplasty zfaulk 10 1,001 10-19-2022, 02:48 PM
Last Post: zfaulk
  UPPP Surgery worsening daytime breathing, very frustrated yanix 0 956 08-30-2022, 02:50 AM
Last Post: yanix

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.