Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

UPPP Surgery worsening daytime breathing, very frustrated
UPPP Surgery worsening daytime breathing, very frustrated
I got a UPPP surgery (modified expansion pharyngoplasty) for a very mild sleep apnea (which turns out was an acid reflux problems) more than 1 year ago. 
Initially, the surgery helped my daytime breathing but as my throat heals (my oral cavity gets wider and wider), I got a feeling whenever I breath, the air is going to the back of my tongue (instead of my lungs). I feel less oxygenated (although daytime saturation is always good) than ever before. Other than that, it causes a hyponasal type of speech (My humming is gone) and voice projection problems (echoing sound).

I went to several ENTs, some said my airway patency is good and that I got other problems, the other (which I trust more) mentioned that the muscles that used to get the feeling of air (anterior pillars) were pushed way too much and causes a speech change (which in turn, cause breathing pattern problems due to wrong way of compensation), but eventually I would get used to it.

I haven't check my sleep again because I thought this is not a sleeping problem anymore (used to be that my daytime breathing was bad, but my sleeping was good), but gonna check that since I think it does impact my sleep.

I'm beyond frustrated, has anyone experienced the same thing? does it actually get better?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,560 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 175 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 288 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 352 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 37 2,158 04-15-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Confused and frustrated - question about F&P Evora NewlyDiagnosed 11 221 04-10-2024, 08:52 AM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 355 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.