Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

UPPP surgery? [Update]
UPPP surgery? [Update]
I have been through the ringer medically with OSA. I have moderate apnea, and use a cpap as much as I can. My issue is that I choke so much I end up ripping it off in my sleep. I also now make these “snorting sounds” when I breathe during the day and awake. My health is going down the toilet: weight gain, severe fatigue, depression, elevated sugars.....I finally saw ENT. Suggested UPPP but also mentioned my tongue is large. Im definitely not interested in tongue surgery, but Im so desperate to feel even a little better so I can want to do things again. Any updated info is greatly appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: UPPP surgery?
I'm sure others will chime in, but you may want to read this post:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...17#pid1117

Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
UPPP is a nightmare surgery - not only does it rarely make a significant difference, but it can also make you unable to tolerate nasal PAP therapy afterwards. UPPP has fallen out of favor and most ENTs do lateral pharyngoplasty as its much less mutilating.

If you are really truly done with OSA/CPAP then consider maxillomandibular advancement, as it supposedly has a 90-100% cure rate, or the DOME and EASE procedures from Stanford. ENTs can rarely cure sleep apnea - maxillofacial surgeons are the ones to go to for sleep apnea (unless you have an obvious cause like big tonsils, polyps, adenoids, etc)
Post Reply Post Reply
So there is one minor issue with the jaw surgery: Ive already had 7 in my teen years due to tmj...Im total metal on both sides. There is no messing with my jaw at this point
Post Reply Post Reply
Had UPPP surgery on Aug 28...Pain is unbelievable
I had the UPPP surgery last Friday. Right now is the night between day 4-5 and Im about to lose my mind. This has been the most excruciating pain I could have ever imagined, if not worse. I cannot swallow my own spit. Feels like razors in my throat and ears combined with a fire feeling. Ended up at hospital last night and required significant amounts of morphine to get me to a manageable point. When does this get better?
Before anyone starts, I know the surgery has mixed results. My doc felt very confident on what he did. And for me I didnt have all of the options. Im just beyond frustrated with the pain!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Had UPPP surgery on Aug 28...Pain is unbelievable
Doozer did you read the other posts and links recommending not having UPPP surgery ? I guess you thought the ENT Surgeon would fix everything, I don’t think surgery alone will be the solution and it comes with its own issues
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Had UPPP surgery on Aug 28...Pain is unbelievable
Well, I guess you didn't heed the advice given here.  I can't I manage that kind of pain, but hope in the long run it will help you.  

When you are fully healed, you may still need Cpap therapy, please keep us informed so that we can help if needed.

I'm merging your two threads for continuity, as it may help others.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: UPPP surgery? [Update]
You are at the peak of it now, and it should start easing. I guess these days no one wants to prescribe opioid pain medications, but you may want to call your doctor and explain you spent the night in a hospital due to intolerable pain, and get what you need to get through the first week.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,223 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 365 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 250 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Phillips update. Big Guy 0 271 01-29-2024, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,951 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Firmware Update 4600.10.7 hobbycamguy 4 579 01-15-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: hobbycamguy
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 706 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.