Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

UPS for CPAP
UPS for CPAP
I’m currently looking for a solution to keep my CPAP running during a power failure. Say something like a UPS like for a computer or what not. I’d like to hear from others that have found a solution to this problem. I know there are some CPAP makers that sell a battery backup but they seem real overpriced for the run time.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: UPS for CPAP
I tried both an APC 1500 and Cyber-Power 1500 UPS on my S10 (w/o heated tube, humidifier off, 14 cm H20 pressure - 95%) and found them inadequate to the task. One, it needlessly expends energy in the inversion process. And two, UPS powers itself off to protect the unit's battery. I got much better results using a deep-cycle marine battery (35ah) and ResMed's DC-DC Converter (Part 37297) which gives me about 2 8-hour days.

I do not know how this would relate to the Dreamstation but there are hundreds of posts on this subject within the forum. Search using the keywords battery backup or camping for great discussions.

Start here -- http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...eamstation

BTW -- don't be put off by the warnings about a solution not being FDA registered or approved for medical devices. Few battery solutions outside of those specifically for xPAP devices are FDA registered.

Remember -- opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one, so prepare for robust discussions.

Best of luck.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
You need a big battery for any significant run time of a cpap machine hence the price.

For regular apnea in majority of locations my opinion is that power backup is not required. Power outages are usually rare and short lived and even if they last a night most users can live without PAP for a night. Unless your area has notoriously bad power it just doesn't seem worthwhile to me as any battery backup you get will have a limited lifespan and probably be lucky to use it a few times before battery needs to be replaced.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a UPS on mine, mainly to bridge power-blinks and to protect the unit from line noise.
Might do the deep-cycle battery one day.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.