Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

UPS for computer system
Ok folks.. we need a new topic in "Off Topic."
I've been using APC UPS's for my home office computer for some years with good results. I had an XPS 1200. When its battery was at end of life, I went to a RS 1500LCD. That UPS is now 5 years old. Neither have been pure sine output.

My RS 1500LCD is behaving such that I suspect it may be near end of life. A new battery pack might fix that. It performs a biweekly automatic check -- a switch to battery for a few seconds.

With the end of Windows XP, I obtained a new windows 7 machine last March. It has 3 HDD spinners. (Two 1TB in RAID 1 mirror; and 1 short stroked 10,000 RPM Velociraptor as a scratch disk.) Apparently the PSU in the box has power factor correction --- which is known to dislike stepped approximations to sine wave.

So, I'm looking for a UPS in the 1500 V-A range, with pure sine output.
I'm not seeing such good reviews on the late model APC UPS's.

Any suggestions?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(11-09-2014, 09:24 AM)justMongo Wrote: . . .
So, I'm looking for a UPS in the 1500 V-A range, with pure sine output.
I'm not seeing such good reviews on the late model APC UPS's.

Any suggestions?

Hi Mongo,
We have used a variety of brands over the years, APC, TrippLite, Best Power, etc. Most recently we have moved to the Cyberpower brand, and those seem to be outperforming and lasting longer than any of the others. Don't know your specific requirements, but we are quite happy with this brand right now. We generally use the AVR LCD models. The LCD panel is quite useful, both in a power outage, and otherwise. It can tell you how much load you are drawing, battery charge level, projected runtime, etc.

At my company, we use them for our own equipment, and in customer installations. We mostly backup Linux servers, and the USB connection to provide power status works well, either with CyberPower's software, or with generic UPS monitoring (the Network UPS Tools package). If this function is important to you, I would avoid anything that still uses an old-style serial connection - modern equipment rarely even has a serial port, and the USB-to-Serial converters aren't always stable. Not that this will likely matter to you, but Cyberpower even has software that operates in a virtualized environment (ESXi), and not many do that either.

Good luck.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
I too have been using APC's for over 20 years with the exception of 2 instances I've had good results with them. I just tried some CyberPower's which seem to be working fine. The only drawback to the CyberPower's that I'm using is the batteries are not hot swappable. Because of their use this wasn't a deal breaker but is a consideration for future purchases. I did find out the hard way that if you don't use pure sine wave UPSs on HP Prolient servers with redundant power supplies, it will smoke one almost every time there's a power outage. The only other problem I've had with an APC was a SmartUPS 1400 rackmount unit. It never signaled that the batteries were bad and ultimately went into a battery meltdown. That was the first time I've ever saw one glowing red. . . I hope it's the last.
Statistics prove that people who have more birthdays live longer.

Good question. I have an APC hooked up right now. My needs are not that drastic. Just my one system and give me enough time to hit the save on my manuscript! It does that and more. It also provides enough time to power the router and modem so I can upload to my FTP backup site and access documents from there. I use SyncBack Pro and have a profile of whatever projects are the most active. I run that after saving and the most recent is uploaded. That way I can still access files using the laptop tethered/hot spot to my cell phone.

I'd love to have a system that lasted longer but no way in heck I could ever afford one.
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

For home computing, consider running a laptop since they have built-in UPS systems. Just connect full sized wireless peripherals (battery powered, except the monitor) and you'll not miss the old tower at all. The external monitor will die when the power goes down but the screen on the lappy comes on by default when that happens.

I have a H.P. lappy connected to a 27" Samsung via HDMI cable, wireless keyboard and mouse. Works like a charm right through all the power outages we have and supplies me with a full 5 ~ 8 hours of available operation on battery power. I can't access the internet but it's usually down anyway at that time since it's powered from the same primary system that has failed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross Sudden computer shutdown DeepBreathing 26 744 11-28-2016, 12:50 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Computer Monitor Linearity surferdude2 6 329 10-31-2016, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Perchas
  Need computer help......... GrammaBear 33 2,312 01-14-2016, 03:54 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  [News] Greek healthcare system collapses, hospital workers now working without pay SuperSleeper 25 6,012 12-11-2015, 07:42 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Ghost Computer Drives PaytonA 3 657 07-12-2015, 09:35 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
Angry Win10 icon in system tray DeepBreathing 34 4,480 06-05-2015, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  2 OSs, one computer and two drives ? justMongo 9 1,639 05-25-2015, 09:21 AM
Last Post: Mark Douglas