Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

UPS options (Power backup for CPAP) machines
RE: UPS options (Power backup for CPAP) machines
(07-04-2016, 09:40 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: That is a good basic setup and it is for the most part very much like what I used for years. The system would alert me and wake me up when power was interrupted by trying to suffocate me. I would get up, grab a flashlight, go to the closet, schlep out a battery and cable, unhook the normal power supply and hook up the battery one. Then go back to sleep. Disassemble and change it out the next morning if/when power came back online. Than can, however, be a lot of work at o' dark thirty. Particularly if it is only a 30 minute interruption. That's what drove me to outfitting my homebrew UPS. With the battery snuggled under the bed now, it is really slick looking and working system.

May be a stupid question, but what prevents one from always running off the battery setup like justMongo's? The battery tender would keep the battery topped off when there is electricity. Why use the normal power supply at all?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I use The Beast Power Inverter for my CPAP when the power goes out. It's pretty much a glorified portable car battery with extra features.

I tried to post a link to The Beast, but forum rules will not allow it.

It runs my CPAP for 8+ hours and still has charge left over. I do not use the humidifier in my CPAP.

This time of year... the power only goes out for a few seconds. In the winter... sometimes the power will go out for 12+ hours if we get heavy, wet snows that collapse power lines.

Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='MrGadget' pid='169584' dateline='1468947805']

I just found a newer product called a Suaoki Portable Solar Generator, (but can't post links yet, google it, it's on Amazon) and talked about it on my own thread I'm looking for opinions on it as it also looks like a possible option as well.

Also, I get why discussion boards are locked down to new members, but man does it make it difficult.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2016, 12:17 PM)MrGadget Wrote: [quote='MrGadget' pid='169584' dateline='1468947805']

I just found a newer product called a Suaoki Portable Solar Generator, (but can't post links yet, google it, it's on Amazon) and talked about it on my own thread I'm looking for opinions on it as it also looks like a possible option as well.

Also, I get why discussion boards are locked down to new members, but man does it make it difficult.

It appears to be a 20 AH battery. And an inverter. In a little case. For $200. With a tiny fold up solar panel you can buy separately for $180. Doesn't appear to be a generator at all.

I have trouble getting excited about buying a $38 battery for $200. But that may just be me.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
I managed to get my hands on several 135aH 12V AGM batteries. I have 4 of them in the house (in parallel), wired to a 12V DC system that runs my server, router, wifi, ham radio gear, DC emergency lighting, and internet modem. It also has some 2AWG wires that feed the starter on a 5kW portable diesel generator, which is connected to the house via manual transfer switch. Overkill since my power has only ever gone out for "planned outages" in the last 9 years Smile

I don't currently back up my CPAP machine on the DC bank, but I may consider it if my condition worsens. Also, my apnea condition is not so bad that I NEED the machine.

But if I did, I would get a large AGM battery (like these 100+aH ones), a 10 amp SMART charger, a vented box, and put it in the corner. The smart charger is very important - if you dont use one the battery life will be severely diminished.

Then install a cigarette lighter plug on the side of the box, fused as small as you can get away with, maybe 5amps, and buy a 12V to 24V converter for your unit. This will allow you to likely run for 3-4 days with all of your options running with no power, and will just float off the charger during normal operations.

If you own an ResMed 10 series, you can check out my findings for powering it from 12VDC via an old Dell Power cord, cheap 12-24 DC-DC converter and 47kohm resistor here:
My Battery Backup Setup
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Remote power button? JohnKoz 8 104 3 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 171 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 54 4,753 04-01-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Charliejoe
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,893 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  csa machines cexer 1 129 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 232 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 872 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.