Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

UPS power possible.
UPS power possible.
I just had a terrible night.  I don't even think about sleeping without my CPAP.  I've had it on my face for 30 years and very happy.  I still remember the days of waking up in a fog and falling asleep at the wheel.  Not for me.

My utility, PGE, has been leaving me messages saying that they could possibly have power outages.  Last night power went out twice.  Sat awake for about an hour then it came back on.  Went off again about 30 minutes later for about another hour, as I tried to sleep on the family room chair.  Had a bad night's sleep.

Started to wonder what others do about power outages.  I live in Central Coast CA and we don't have long-term power outages, at least not yet.  Wondering if a UPS like I see for computers would work to keep my machine running for a few hours.  I have a ResMed, modern one, black and auto set function.  I set a range and it picks the pressure, I think.  I cant find the model number on it.

Thanks for  your help on alternate power supply.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: UPS power possible.
These UPS devices wouldn't last long as in maybe it'll run a few minutes. Most include a power loss alarm that may wake you. Better would be to build a back-up battery system to do that IMO. Your choice of course but that's what I'd do.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are better off coughing up the money for a dedicated, and purpose-built, power backup for a CPAP device.  All but the costliest UPS devices will only last at most an hour or less.  That may actually 'do' for a great many power outages, but not a whole night.  If you want to be able to get that full night of good sleep, uninterrupted, you need a proper backup. 

If you do a search "CPAP backup power", you'll be sure to get a couple of pages of decent sites offering a wide variety, including those meant for your own machine.  They aren't cheap, except for the ones too good to be true...or genuine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your input.  Incredible how quickly one gets educated on this board!  I have now realized that best solution is indeed a dedicated device, especially since I don't want a gnarly car battery and cables next to my bed.  Next decision is whether I want one that can go on an airplane.  I suspect I will find a happy medium between airplane and length of output service.  Lots to look at, all around $300 unfortunately.  I got very little sleep last night and it made me realize how vulnerable I am to power outages, as I don't want to sleep without my CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW special attention needed to specific battery types allowed on airlines due to the safety regulations. There's info out there, I've forgot the specifics other than automotive lead acid types are No Go.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Make your own from sanyo's or samsungs 2170 cells, one cell is 4000-5000mAh, costs about $5. There's plenty of tutorials out there.

For $500 you'll have 2x the storage than commercial ones for $1500
Post Reply Post Reply
For home I came up with this setup. Since marine deep cycle batteries are rated differently, I had to wing it on the size. I wound up with a 175 CCA battery that, combined with the battery tender, kept the charger's indicator light always in the green. Here is the breakdown of what I bought and the cost (rounded up).

Resmed 12/24 Power Supply - $90
Battery 175 CCA Deep Cycle - $60
Battery core charge - $15
Battery case enclosure - $15
Battery Tender 750 mA - $30

Total - $210
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Of course, if portability were ever going to be desirable, say wanting to carry it on a trip for a few days, the dedicated power supply for CPAP is going to be a bit larger than a pocket novel.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2019, 10:42 PM)crowtor Wrote: Make your own from sanyo's or samsungs 2170 cells, one cell is 4000-5000mAh, costs about $5. There's plenty of tutorials out there.

For $500 you'll have 2x the storage than commercial ones for $1500

Or for $75 a nice 35 AH 12 V SLA....  Will last me more than a week sans humogrifier....  Probably 3-4 days if I left it on.  Can make a really nice and unobtrusive UPS system for a couple hunnerd bux more. 

Car batteries are not recommended.  They will provide some functionality but are designed to dump loads of current quickly, not put out over time.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
I plug my CPAP on the same UPS as my computer.
It work well : the time it can give power depends on the battery.
It was a 1500 VA
From France. English spoken. Equipped since end of 2009. ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset since November 2023.
Linux user since 2009 --> current main distribution : Xubuntu 22.04 (laptop)
LUG (named ALDIL) Member since 2015. certifications : ITIL© and ISTQB©

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,788 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 228 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,406 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 403 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  AirCurve power problem Shamus54 10 980 10-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Shamus54
  Resmed Airsense 11 blowing full power with no leaks bcodemz 2 870 10-29-2023, 07:57 PM
Last Post: bcodemz
  [Equipment] Portable Backup Power for Outages Craige 4 565 10-29-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Craige

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.