Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

URGENT HELP : ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto Setting vs.
URGENT HELP : ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto Setting vs.
[attachment=3787][attachment=3789][attachment=3787][attachment=3787][attachment=3787][attachment=3787][attachment=3787][attachment=3787][attachment=3787][attachment=3787][attachment=3787][attachment=3787][attachment=3787][attachment=3788][attachment=3788]Hi All, 

I really need your help w my current  ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto Settings.  

Let me explain,  I tried the Resmed Airsense 10 Auto CPAP for a trial week period, with good results and a AHI under 1.00 for many night.  now I thought the ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto would even offer a better experience, so I went ahead and purchased the more expensive model, and I have not had as good results as the AUTO CPAP.

I have added the last nights w the ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto vs the Resmed Airsense 10 Auto CPAP

I would really appreciate your help as to how I can mimic the same positive results I had a my auto CPAP?

Thanks for your advise and help
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: URGENT HELP : ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto Setting vs.
Your results are very easy to explain. On the Auto CPAP your pressure started at 10.0 and had a maximum of 18, but never exceeded 12.0 using EPR at 3. Therefore your pressure was 10/7 to 12/9.

When you setup the Aircurve 10 Vauto, you used PS 3 over 10-14, so your starting pressure was 13/10 to 17/14. Pressure support works the opposite of EPR, and you can match the Autoset by setting the Aircurve up at EPAP min 7, PS 3, IPAP max 12 or so.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What about TRIGGER & CYCLE setting?

I have the option of very low, low, medium, high or very high? 

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't fix what is not broken. If you need a change, you might know it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2017, 01:26 PM)BlueJay22 Wrote: What about TRIGGER & CYCLE setting?

I have the option of very low, low, medium, high or very high? 

Thanks

There are some important features of aircurve you should understand particularly since it sounds like you may have bought the unit on your own and configured it.

For trigger and cycle the default is medium.  The value is the sensitivity.

If you want the unit to "trigger" (go into inhale mode) very quickly, then set the trigger sensitivity to high or very high.  If it feels like it is triggering too quickly then set to very low or low.  Otherwise if the speed at which it "trigger" to IPAP is fine, then leave at medium.

For cycle, if you want it to go to exhale mode very quickly, you would set the sensitivity to very high/high.  Likewise, if you want it to go to exhale mode slowly, then set to low/very low.

Remember the unit tries to sense when you are wanting to inhale or exhale.. so the sensitivity value above is how sensitive is the unit to your breathing.

But now, you also need to understand Ti min and Ti max.  This is the minimum and maximum time you will spend in inspiration.  If these are set improperly then the cycle may kick in prematurely and you might be inhaling at EPAP levels.

The value of this is mostly based upon your respiratory rate... so if you can look at sleepyhead and find that value it will help to set it up.  You could set them to small and large values (under a second for Ti min and 3 or 4 seconds for Ti max).. and you will be fine as long as you do not have a mask leak.  The thing is, with a bipap it needs to sense you inhaling and exhaling which is not possible if there is a leak.. so Ti min/Ti max come into play so it can figure out when to switch between inhale/exhale.  Ti min/max are important if you have a mask leak. If you have no leaks, then it is not important.. but still, you want to set it to reasonable values if you know your RR.

The aircurve has some nice displays to help you.. when it is running, hit the button at the bottom and turn the dial to the right once or twice.  The final screen will show you what your Ti values are real-time.. so you can get an idea of what the machine is doing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Heov,

Is There any way to get the autoBipap machine to act like my auto CPAP?

On my ResMed Airsense 10, I had my respiration decreased by -3 , and the Bipap is increasing it even when I have the PS set to 0, may explain why I have higher AHI and I wake up more frequently.

Thanks in advance for your help
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2017, 02:17 PM)BlueJay22 Wrote: Hi Heov,  

Is There any way to get the autoBipap machine to act like my auto CPAP?

On my ResMed Airsense 10, I had my respiration decreased by -3 , and the Bipap is increasing it even when I have the PS set to 0, may explain why I have higher AHI and I wake up more frequently.

Thanks in advance for your help

Did you try the settings I suggested in Post #2?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I did .. not much improved
Could it be because of EPR technology?
Post Reply Post Reply
Both machines show mask pressure. Maybe compare both at a zoomed view. With the limited data you provided, we know your Airsense 10 delivered EPAP at a range of 7-9 cm, the aircurve at 10-11. IPAP ranged from Airsense at 10-12 vs Aircurve at 13-14. Maybe you could update results with the changed settings.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2017, 10:27 AM)heov Wrote: There are some important features of aircurve you should understand particularly since it sounds like you may have bought the unit on your own and configured it.

For trigger and cycle the default is medium.  The value is the sensitivity.

If you want the unit to "trigger" (go into inhale mode) very quickly, then set the trigger sensitivity to high or very high.  If it feels like it is triggering too quickly then set to very low or low.  Otherwise if the speed at which it "trigger" to IPAP is fine, then leave at medium.

For cycle, if you want it to go to exhale mode very quickly, you would set the sensitivity to very high/high.  Likewise, if you want it to go to exhale mode slowly, then set to low/very low.

Remember the unit tries to sense when you are wanting to inhale or exhale.. so the sensitivity value above is how sensitive is the unit to your breathing.

But now, you also need to understand Ti min and Ti max.  This is the minimum and maximum time you will spend in inspiration.  If these are set improperly then the cycle may kick in prematurely and you might be inhaling at EPAP levels.

The value of this is mostly based upon your respiratory rate... so if you can look at sleepyhead and find that value it will help to set it up.  You could set them to small and large values (under a second for Ti min and 3 or 4 seconds for Ti max).. and you will be fine as long as you do not have a mask leak.  The thing is, with a bipap it needs to sense you inhaling and exhaling which is not possible if there is a leak.. so Ti min/Ti max come into play so it can figure out when to switch between inhale/exhale.  Ti min/max are important if you have a mask leak.  If you have no leaks, then it is not important.. but still, you want to set it to reasonable values if you know your RR.

The aircurve has some nice displays to help you.. when it is running, hit the button at the bottom and turn the dial to the right once or twice.  The final screen will show you what your Ti values are real-time.. so you can get an idea of what the machine is doing.

Nice description but it is important to note, as Sleeprider did, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it*. Many people using the VPAP Auto in either VAuto mode or S mode do just fine with the factory settings for trigger, cycle, Ti min, and Ti max.

I found that I had to adjust some of those settings on my S8 VPAP Auto. Actually some of it was correcting settings that had been changed by the RT that set the machine up for me. He had some weird ideas about how these parameters should be set which ended up causing the machine to lose sync with my breathing on occasion. This did not happen until I had been using the machine for a while and did not happen all the time.

When I received my S9 VPAP Auto, those 4 settings were all left at the factory settings and I have not had to touch them.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with new AirCurve 10 VAuto Settings aubreyjs 11 258 8 minutes ago
Last Post: aubreyjs
  Diagnosed with UARS just got CPAP with mask need help setting it up nicchamilton 2 48 17 minutes ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  need help be with Ti min and Ti max, just got airsense vauto and got some questions shedu1337 7 182 04-22-2024, 09:02 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
  New ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto - Oscar Chart Raven87 12 259 04-22-2024, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  N30i [what mask setting] Airsense 10 AutoSet Topdogg7505 8 3,241 04-20-2024, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ahfairley
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 3 164 04-20-2024, 02:07 AM
Last Post: melbell
  Does Aircurve 10 Vauto record events and flow limits during ramp mode? SingleH 3 110 04-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: SingleH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.