Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

US Medicare numbers to change from the SSN.
About time too...

From an article in Modern Healthcare:

What scrubbing Social Security numbers from Medicare cards means for data handlers
By Joseph Conn  | August 27, 2016

"The CMS is getting to work on replacing Social Security numbers as identifiers for 150 million Medicare recipients, both living and dead.

By the end of 2019 the agency intends to use randomly generated identifiers instead of the health insurance claim number, composed of a Social Security number plus one or two letters. The proposed new ID will have seven numeric and four alphabetical characters."
Post Reply Post Reply
Social Security numbers were never intended to be used for anything other than obtaining Social Security benefits.

It's become a de-facto national ID number that's used in everything from driver's licences to medical systems to financial transactions to government taxation. 

The  slippery slope of "well-intentioned, common-sense" government programs never ends well.  In the majority of "programs", government never gets smaller, less complex, or less intrusive - it tends to get larger, more complicated, and more demanding as citizens are coerced into giving up a little more of their freedoms and privacy each year (for the sake of convenience, expediency, safety and security).

Eat-popcorn
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yay more numbers to memorize. I have memorized my and my wife's SS numbers, both driver's licenses and my frequently used credit card including expiration and cvv. :\ Now if I can only remember my name... or what I am doing here... who are you?

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply

Por Que?
Post Reply Post Reply
Funny how something can trigger one's memory. Just the mention of the social security number and memorizing it led me to remember when a sergeant in the national guard asked me the E1 newbie "WHAT IS YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER?!" DUNNO...

Oh-jeez 
 Well, let me tell ya, I know it now!

Flashing back 30 years hurts my brain BTW!
Sarcasm is a hobby of mine. I am not sarcastic on serious issues, implied or otherwise.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I served, the SSN was not used as ones service number.
We had to know our service number forward, backward; and the sum of the digits.
Post Reply Post Reply

Uncle Sam is removing the printed SSN off the military and retiree id cards. Number is supposedly encrypted in the coding on the card. The fun thing is the newer cards supposedly cannot be photocopied unless you use a special machine. Makes it real fun when your id card is also your medical insurance card.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah. Gotta love it when good ole uncle Sam makes it "easier" for us. I see a need for added security, but when our government gets involved...your results may vary greatly.

Oh-jeez
Sarcasm is a hobby of mine. I am not sarcastic on serious issues, implied or otherwise.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2017, 02:47 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: ...the newer cards supposedly cannot be photocopied unless you use a special machine.

Where did I leave my soapbox? Ah, thank you.

I think all ID items should be made such that they cannot be imaged or scanned.
Post Reply Post Reply

Preaching to the choir brother.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare Advantage Provider Adding Elevated Diagnosis Codes When Billing Medicare Crimson Nape 12 415 10-17-2017, 10:08 AM
Last Post: AlanE
  Medicare Part D quantity limits justMongo 1 454 03-19-2017, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
Information [News] Medicare unveils far-reaching overhaul of doctors' pay ApneaNews 0 453 10-14-2016, 05:27 PM
Last Post: ApneaNews
  Diabetes Testing under US Medicare justMongo 21 1,554 07-18-2016, 05:33 PM
Last Post: 0rangebear
  US Medicare Medigap Question justMongo 5 741 11-14-2015, 02:49 PM
Last Post: eplantz
  Medicare and B12 me50 12 2,226 07-09-2015, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  How do you sue Medicare -- I mean take 'em to the woodshed. justMongo 9 2,146 02-04-2015, 11:55 AM
Last Post: archangle