Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

UV light cleaners - good or bad?
UV light cleaners - good or bad?
I just placed an order with Apria for CPAP supplies and the CS person asked if I was interested in getting the new UV cleaners now available. I have done zero research on these cleaners and would like to get pro/con info on whether these are a good deal. 

Thanks in advance for all input.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: UV light cleaners - good or bad?
Please review this thread: SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines. While the thread I have listed is titled, "SoClean" it discusses all forms of CPAP disinfecting machines.  

Basically, plastics and UV light don't mix.  A UV retardant is required to be added to the plastic's recipe before it is molded.  Due to the added cost of the product, and the desire for repeat sales, I doubt if there is any, or enough, to withstand a direct assault on CPAP parts by UV light.  Also, if the UV light is strong enough to be effective, it will require eye protection and a protective enclosure to be used.  These and the O3 (Ozone) generators are made to be sold and not for use.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting that they call it a "cleaner". UV light doesn't "clean" anything. It disinfects. For a disinfectant to be effective, the surface you apply it to has to be clean. If you clean your CPAP gear it doesn't need disinfecting. It's all a gimmick.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you just want to disinfect items, use bleach, vinegar, ammonia, hydrogen peroxide, or sodium/potassium meta-bisulfite.   Each of those can be had for many years at the same cost of these devices, and they'll do less harm to the materials to which you subject them.  Metabisulfites cost about $3 for a 100 gram sachet that will last you years.  Available at DIY brewing or similar wine and beer outlets where they sell supplies.

I agree with the others that UV light will probably do the job, but it will also do a number...on the organic materials.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
Do not use UV cleaners on your cpap equipment, it's part of the reason for foam degredation in the systems too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Profit item for the DME not covered by insurance. Expect to pay too much for an unneeded accessory of dubious values.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
It seems to me that use of UV or Ozone cleaners MAY kill surface bacteria, not to mention possible damage to you cpap equipment over time, but the bacteria they kill remains on the surfaces of the cpap equipment.  You would still need to wash your gear with soap and water in order to remove the gunk left behind from UV and ozone cleaners.

I'm sure this has been discussed many times on the boards, but I thought to mention it again in case you may have missed them.  In my experience (cpap user since 2013) hand washing with a mild detergent works best.
Post Reply Post Reply
The way I look at these "cleaners" is if they were effective and necessary, all of the CPAP manufacturers would recommend them and most likely have a version of their own to sell.
None of them do.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
Since a CPAP basically takes the ambient air that you normally breathe and adds a little kick to it, where are all the extra germs that need killing coming from?   Huh

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Read the instructions for these devices.
Paraphrased "before using 'cleaning' device clean per manufactures instructions."

Not needed in addition to damaging our devices. ResMed states the use of such devices voids the warranty.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 71 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 204 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad Blinking Red light on my Airsense 10 machine please ? What does it mean cajones 9 11,499 03-15-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 148 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 178 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Airsense 10 - Bright light from on/off switch Dagmar 6 11,073 03-03-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: E.W.
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.