Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Un-happy face sleep report
RE: Un-happy face sleep report
I ran the test on my machine. I lost track of all the segments of counting, however when an open tube showed a red smiley, closing the end completely resulted in a green smiley the majority of the time within about two seconds and frequently less than one second.

On two or so occasions, I had to count to as much as five seconds before the red smiley went back to green. That was with my machine and pressures set as shown in my profile.

I did notice that, if I seemed to let the pressure build, so to speak, while on green, it seemed to recover more quickly than if I didn't let the pressure build so much, even though each time I began the open tube a green smiley was displayed, i.e., I could hear more air rushing those times that I left the green smiley up longer before uncovering the tube.

Also, the time it took an opened tube to turn red seemed to be longer after letting the pressure build while on green. Likewise, if I opened the tube the instant it turned green, the smiley would turn red nearly immediately!
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:The only leaks I detect are around the circle of little holes where the hose swivel/valve assembly connects and at the holes where the valve that allows the patient to breath when machine stops delivering air. I have tried two masks and both 6 foot and 10 foot hoses, each showing the same problem.

That's it.  The leak at the antiasphyxiation valve is not supposed to happen during operation.  It is leaking due to a faulty valve.  My mask shows no leak during full pressure testing. I'm not sure what you're saying about the mask fit having random numbers.  Mine just shows the good fit and a smilie unless I intentionally allow a leak.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
FYI 
you can see your actual leak rate during use by turning the knob until you see see the leak rate displayed under the green pressure bar.  There is a lot of additional info that is displayed, leak rate being one of them.
I find that better than looking for the happy face, especially after you initially set the mask.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
It looks like RichardVT's machine  is a little more rhythmic than mine but as the pressure presented in the mask fit adjust may be dependent on the settings for the patient and buildup may be different. Not enough data yet.

I will look at the leak rate display while under use (if I can see it with my glasses over the mask) by trying the knob turn as Sleeprider mentioned. I can feel a little air from the swivel/ antiasphyxiation valve and it is about the same as I have noticed for the last 18 years. It's not much air and to me, the indications of 7, 8 and 10 seconds after closing the tube end before the red face turns green does not support that much of a loss is causing the problem. Especially when the mask is out of the loop.  Isn't 40 L/min a lot of air? Joe
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider wrote:  "I'm not sure what you're saying about the mask fit having random numbers.  Mine just shows the good fit and a smilie unless I intentionally allow a leak."

I was running the mask fit adjustment option from the options menu, which I am assuming is full or set max pressure, without the mask connected. The machine presents a constant pressure so you normally will adjust the mask fit for no leaks. But I disconnected the mask and with my thumb over the end of the hose, blocked the airflow, then counted  the seconds it took for the Red un-happy face to turn to a Green happy face. I then uncovered the tube allowing the air to escape so that the face turns back to a Red un-happy face, waited two seconds, then started over again. The time it took to change from Red to green in seconds was recorded an were as follows. 2 seconds, 5 seconds,2 seconds, 2 seconds, 2 seconds, 4 seconds, 2 seconds, 4 seconds, 4 seconds, 5 seconds, 4 seconds, 7 seconds, 3 seconds, 7 seconds, 2 seconds, 8 seconds, 8 seconds, 8 seconds, 10 seconds, 10 seconds, then the mast fit adjust routine self terminated and the machine resumed normal BIPAP operation. Random number of seconds to recover from an open circuit seconds in the range of 2 to 10 seconds, seems random to me. RichardVTs test results show most within two seconds with a majority less than two seconds to change to green.
Post Reply Post Reply
So here's the facts! I received my new mask yesterday, a ResMed AirFit F10, containing a new antiasphyxiation valve and swivel assembly, and headgear complete with a User Guide. Also a new 10 foot hose. After a night of use I still have the un-happy face for mask fit; so I guess there is something wrong with my new Aircurve 10 Vauto BiPAP machine.

My use of the term, "leaking a little around the swivel", was relative. Here is the relevance. I draw your attention to the User Guide. First under a listing of “General Warnings”, on page 2, first paragraph, “...Explanation:CPAP and bilevel devices are intended to be used with special masks (or connectors) which have vent holes to allow continuous flow of air out of the mask. When the device is turned on and functioning properly, new air from the device flushes the exhaled air out through the mask holes.”...
On page 7 you will find under Technical specifications and to the right of the Paragraph heading “Pressure-flow Curve”, you will find; “The mask contains passive venting to protect against rebreathing. As a result of manufacturing variations, the vent flow rate may vary.”
What that means is there is a circle of little bitty holes as spotted by poster RICHARDVT, that allow the CO2 enriched exhaled air to be flushed from the mask before the patient inhales their next breath. Also, this page has a graph and data points for a moderately linear graph of the volume of air escaping from these vent holes [all the time].
In my case, as much as 32 Liters per minute (L/min) of air flow is vented from the mask, based on 8cmH2O minimum prescribed pressure. Some of the data points follow:
Pressure    Flow
(cm/H2O)  (L/min)
3                 19
4                 22
8                 32
10               37
12               41
16               48
20               54
24               60
28               66
30               69
an there are more.

Joe
Post Reply Post Reply
I concur, it sounds like the machine to me!
Post Reply Post Reply
Believe it or not!
After two nights with the new mask and looking at un-happy faces in the mornings, I am now getting a Green Happy face. Two mornings running( after 12 days). I guess these automatic machines automatically fix themselves.  Go figure. Thanks guys. Joe
Post Reply Post Reply
Good, glad to hear it works!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 164 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 518 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Abnormal report - me or machine Anthony2L 1 171 02-29-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 398 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 595 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.