Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Un-stuffing Your Stuffy Nose
RE: Un-stuffing Your Stuffy Nose
If you suffer from allergies , hayfever , dust etc like I used to..............
i tried everything across the pharmacy counter, to no avail , and some nasty side effects.

I Kept at the GP and was eventually sent to ENT Hospital Clinic.

The ENT Surgeon prescribed me (1of 2) Neo Clarityn tabs 5mg one in the morning another in the evening if really bad , Told me to ignore the 1 a day instructions, no side effects whatsoever, AND
(2 of 2) " Nasonex Nasal Spray" a nasal desensitising mild steroid.

He Stressed BOTH must be used together. for it to work.

That was way back in 1994 and I never looked back. Wish I'd pushed the GP harder and got to see the ENT guy way before that and avoided all those years of suffering hay fever.
I was in the surgery and out again in under 10 minutes.

I take the combination all year round as dust , chlorine in swimming pools etc also lead to blocked sinuses / stuffy nose.
I've just joined this forum tonight as I am awaiting the Hospital Sleep Clinic and a CPAP machine etc:
These are available by script from GP.
Everyone I've told so far ..... It has worked brilliantly for all of them.
Hope it works for you too !Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Zonk.
Thank you for your articles on 'Unstuffing your stuffy nose', I found them full of value and very interesting but they have led to a question.

With my return to CPAP after a 20 year gap I have been using a CMS-50E Oximeter with spO2 graphs firstly to determine my need for CPAP and now to monitor my progress since then.
Using nasal masks or pillows I get a fairly constant graph around 93 to 95% until blockage occurs and I wake up.
Therefore two or three times a night I have to revert to a full face mask from my nasal mask or pillows because of sinus blockage (although I have been using saline spray).
My oxygen saturation graphs show many spikes to 80% and below when using the full face mask but I am not aware of this until I see the spO2 graphs the next morning.

I use the oximeter for recording every night and it has an alarm facility so do you think setting this to say 88% or 85% so that I wake up and start breathing is a reasonable idea?
A couple of GPs have said that this would be a bad idea, mainly I think, because the startle effect could be harmful.
My main aim though would be to reduce organ damage.

Do you have any thoughts on using the alarm on a regular basis?
Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
my mistake - can't delete post
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2014, 10:55 PM)Numbat Wrote: Hi Zonk.
Thank you for your articles on 'Unstuffing your stuffy nose', I found them full of value and very interesting but they have led to a question.

With my return to CPAP after a 20 year gap I have been using a CMS-50E Oximeter with spO2 graphs firstly to determine my need for CPAP and now to monitor my progress since then.
Using nasal masks or pillows I get a fairly constant graph around 93 to 95% until blockage occurs and I wake up.
Therefore two or three times a night I have to revert to a full face mask from my nasal mask or pillows because of sinus blockage (although I have been using saline spray).
My oxygen saturation graphs show many spikes to 80% and below when using the full face mask but I am not aware of this until I see the spO2 graphs the next morning.

I use the oximeter for recording every night and it has an alarm facility so do you think setting this to say 88% or 85% so that I wake up and start breathing is a reasonable idea?
A couple of GPs have said that this would be a bad idea, mainly I think, because the startle effect could be harmful.
My main aim though would be to reduce organ damage.

Do you have any thoughts on using the alarm on a regular basis?
Thank you.

I am not Zonk - but hello Smile

I have lung scarring (from PEs), so my O2 levels aren't the best.

88% is the magic number, and you want to look for the line that tells you how many minutes you had below 88% - my Docs tell me to keep it under '5' minutes or less.

My low O2 alarm is on, but it is set to 74% as a one second spike/glitch is a non-issue, and the alarm will go off on a 'noise' spike.

So those are my thoughts and actions with my CMS50F. I typically run between 89-91% at night, a touch on the low side, but again I do have lung issues.

Remember - check your leak rates, as I found when my leaks rates were high, my O2 stats were lower.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2014, 11:34 AM)Peter_C Wrote: A great read - thank you Zonk.

Thank you!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Quick question about the internal nasal dilator: can it be used in combination with a nasal pillows mask?
Before APAP: [Image: DARTH-VADER_zpsa57946df.png]

After APAP: See avatar: R2D2 for the win!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle"
--Ian Maclaren

I don't snore! I just make creepy noises so the aliens know I'm not someone to be messed with.
Post Reply Post Reply
re: saline irrigation

(I personally prefer a larger proportion of soda.)

Fill up a nostril, then hold your nose an bend over, turning your head upside down to get the solution into your sinuses.
Return to upright, blow your nose, and repeat on the other side.

Or, try a squeeze bottle such as NeilMed Sinus Rinse which propels the liquid directly up into sinuses.  It's great!

There is a product called Alkalol Sinus Rinse which is great when you have a cold, and have to sing or speak, but is definitely too strong for daily use.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great info on the sinuses
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 149 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,969 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 645 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.